Passengers Miss Flights As They're Too Busy Shopping, Says NCR Corporation Study

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...oo-busy-shopping_n_1830984.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Passengers are missing flights because they are too busy shopping or eating at airports, according to a survey.

More than three in five passengers buy duty-free items at airports, the poll by services company NCR Corporation found.

And around 2% admitted they have missed flights as they were shopping or eating, with 15% saying they nearly missed their plane.

Based on responses from 1,000 UK consumers, the survey showed that of those who shop at airports, 21% buy luxury goods or clothing, with 65% opting for books, newspapers or magazines, and 60% buying food and drink.

Despite the need to arrive up to two hours before their flight, consumers think retail feels rushed in the airport.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...oo-busy-shopping_n_1830984.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have also heard too many stories of missed flights because the passengers were in the bar and 'did not hear' the boarding call :rolleyes:

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never missed a flight but a few months ago was a very close call. TG normally lists boarding at T-30 min exBKK which is usually about 15 min earlier than actual boarding. At T-30 we were called to come to the lounge desk. We were the last two pax (and only in C). The flight departed 20 minutes early!!! Thankfully with us.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never missed a flight and the few close calls have always been because of traffic or the stupid lines going through security.

I can't imagine that any airport, no matter how nicely appointed, is enough to distract me from the fact that I have a flight to take.

Then again I suppose there are some really infrequent flyers out there that might be easily distracted by the experience and forget that the airport is not their destination :)

sobore, LETTERBOY and Blue Skye like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, NCR. Why do you care? Are you going to use hat data to convince airport merchants to put more NCR cash registers into their stores?

Dangjr213 and marcwint55 like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one instance where I have no sympathy. The purpose of going to the airport is to catch a flight. If one loses sight of that, they have no one to blame but themselves.

sobore and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had an early flight with TG.. They're always around 30 minutes late, but ended up arriving on time at the destination airport... Surprising..

kwai likes this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was a quick hop to PNH at 8AM during Songkran ... and we were both stunned. Thankfully it was a jetbridge gate rather than a bus.

General_Flyer likes this.