Passenger's fury after airport security staff asked him to state his religion

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Mar 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/passengers-fury-airport-security-staff-1780706

IAIN MCGILL was travelling through Edinburgh Airport when he was asked to state his faith after being picked at random for a full body scan.

[​IMG]

BOSSES at Edinburgh Airport have been slammed for asking passengers to reveal their religion during security checks.

Traveller Iain McGill told how he was asked to state his faith after being picked at random for a full body scan.

Airport chiefs say the question is voluntary and is designed to monitor the types of people being chosen for the scans.

But Iain says he was never told he didn’t have to answer, and a top expert in flight security was astonished by the airport’s approach.

Philip Baum, editor-in-chief of Aviation Security International, said: “I am totally against racial profiling of any sort as it has never successfully identified a threat.

“What happens if a passenger says they are Buddhist or Muslim or Christian? Would they all be treated differently to each other?

“Scanners play an important part in security, but asking someone what religion they are is nonsensical and serves no purpose whatsoever.”

Read More: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/passengers-fury-airport-security-staff-1780706

OY-JFS, daninstl, jbcarioca and 6 others like this.
  2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shoulda said he prays to the House Of Miles.

3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first thought was that this is profiling (and at least here in the U.S. we've had our share of Christian terrorists) but it does say that the question is to determine if profiling is occurring: Airport chiefs say the question is voluntary and is designed to monitor the types of people being chosen for the scans.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then ask the question on an anonymous survey AFTER the random scan is over.

jbcarioca, robmac, goalie and 5 others like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And my answer simply would be, "with all due respect, it's none of your bloody business" :mad:

jbcarioca and robmac like this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'd be more fun to say "Druid" or something.

Or maybe wear this T-Shirt:

[​IMG]

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been asked the question many times officially and otherwise my response is always Zoroastrian. I advocate belief in Ahura but perhaps it is really Lieutenant Uhura. Either was I greatly admire Parsi's even though I cannot actually claim that I am a member of such a community. The Immigration people only recognize it in Iran, Pakistan, India and the Gulf countries. Oddly, none have questioned my purported faith.

servo, sobore and anabolism like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    By asking that question beforehand, the passenger feels the need and pressure to answer, or not be allowed to fly. I agree with bigx0 that if it was for census taking, then it would be as good to ask after and only with the provision that the information has no bearing on the screening process.

I would be inclined to answer pastafarian, but my doctor recommends that I quit because its not good for my health! :p

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe "Vulcan" would be a good answer, in part because the Vulcans, as I recall, would be likely to disdain religion (holding logic and reason as the highest functions), even though they did maintain some rituals.

jbcarioca, daninstl and sobore like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems dumb to me. I know we are spoiled in the USA but in any country I don't know how this effects the security process and I'm all about profiling for security reasons. For example if I answered Muslim I could be the most peaceful person on the planet or I could be a Christian and be Timothy McVeigh.

jbcarioca likes this.