Passenger's actions on flight diverted to Memphis land lifetime ban from Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/may/27/passengers-actions-land-lifetime-ban-from-delta/

It started with five whiskey and Cokes -- doubles -- in an airport bar in Texas.
    It ended in handcuffs, a three-day stint in the Shelby County Jail, being stripped "buck naked" twice and a lifetime ban from Delta Air Lines for Bryan Sisco, 40.
    In between is the odd story of a flight diverted to Memphis last Friday after Sisco bragged to a young woman that he had a gas canister that could put everyone onboard to sleep.
    That bit of braggadocio got Sisco arrested on charges of carrying a weapon or explosive on an aircraft. He was eventually freed on a $10,000 bond.

The story began in the Dallas airport, as weather delayed a 7:45 p.m. flight to Atlanta for almost two hours. Sisco decided to ride out the delay in a bar after already downing a few beers on his way to the airport, according to the police report.
    "I'm not a big drinker, and I was feeling no pain," Sisco said Thursday from his home in Winston, Ga. "I didn't realize that most of the passengers were uptight. They were pretty ticked off about the delay."
    So Sisco boarded the plane and made his way to 20D, which wasn't even his seat. A few minutes later, Danielle Valimont, 23, took 20E and was instantly creeped out, she wrote in a blog.
    "He was talking very fast and acted nervous as he introduced himself," she wrote. "I sat down and sent this text: 'I'm sitting beside a crazy man.'"

Sisco is getting divorced, he said, and decided to put the moves on Valimont. When a flight attendant confronted him about being in the wrong seat, Sisco said he and Valimont were newlyweds.
    Before Valimont could protest, the attendant moved on. A chatty Sisco told her he was an architect, then intimated he was a federal marshal, Valimont wrote.
    "He began to explain he knew everything about everyone on the plane," she wrote. "He had the roster and he chose to sit by me because I was 'harmless.'"
    Meanwhile, a drunken Sisco thought things were going well.
    "We were talking, sharing M&Ms, eating chocolate, having a good time," he said. "I fabricated some truths about myself. ... I thought we were getting along pretty good."
    Soon, Sisco pulled out a butane lighter, sparking it near Valimont's leg. She was getting seriously freaked out at this point, but tried to play it cool.
    "I acted as if it was no big deal, though my heart was racing," she wrote.
    The chat then turned to a large tube Sisco was carrying, the type architects use for blueprints.
    "I told her it was top secret," Sisco said. "She started opening it, and I said, 'You can't do that. There's gas in there that will make anyone sleep if you open it.'"

At this point, Valimont faked an excuse to go to the bathroom and started typing out a note on her iPhone, heart pounding all the while. On her way out, she discreetly left her phone with a flight attendant, she wrote.
    "If the guy in 20D is a marshal disregard this msg. He has a torch that he lit and showed me. And he said his canister has a gas device that will make everyone on the plane pass out if there is danger. He also has a device that says is like a Taser. I will go sit back down. Do what you need to."
    Soon, one of the attendants took Valimont to the front of the plane, acting as if they needed to see her boarding pass.
    Meanwhile, Valimont could hear the pilots on the radio, making plans to divert to Memphis. When they landed, she saw police dressed as paramedics slip onboard.

2. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    Judging by the police response, I assume Mr. Sisco is not a federal marshall?

jmrich1432 and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did their second date go?

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad he wasn't in the Sky Club getting slammed before the flight. I can only imagine what DL knee jerk reaction would be?!?!?! It would have been a good excuse to eliminate yet another thngfrom the clubs.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick thinking on her part rather than freaking out...

And I guess the silver lining in this story is that he didn't bug out and try to open the door. Still, some people can't handle the sauce and do the stupidest things.

LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  6. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been reading other accounts of this...um...elsewhere and will throw this out there - Valimont exacerbated the situation by playing FAM herself and IMO prodded him to stupid. (which wasn't difficult).

I'm sure this will surprise some of you but, I don't think what she did was all that noble or smart.

Gargoyle, sobore and Exit Row like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    She was in the window seat, the smartest thing would have been to get herself out of there as fast as possible. She was able to send a text as soon as she sat down, saying that he seemed crazy; if she could send a text she could find a way to get out of there.

FetePerfection likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is quite a difference between thinking you're sitting next to a strange seat-mate and that the person pulls out a lighter and lights it at your ankles or says that they have a gas container that will incapacitate the plane. I've had plenty of the former and chalked it up to bad luck. The latter is a whole different story.

If someone threatened me on a plane and I felt there was even a smidgen of legitimacy to the threat I'd have no problem with "playing FAM" and reporting them. Certainly odds are that they couldn't do anything anyways, but when personally threatened in that way sitting quietly and just taking the abuse is more than any passenger should be expected to endure.