Passenger sues Southwest Airlines over hot tea spill

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by sobore, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/passenger-sues-southwest-airlines-over-hot-tea-spill

A Tennessee woman sued Southwest Airlines and a flight attendant Tuesday for $800,000 for serving tea she says severely burned her.
    On December 28, 2011, Angelica Keller was seated in the window seat of the front row on Flight 955 between Nashville and Houston with a stop in New Orleans.
    She ordered hot tea, and the suit says the flight attendant brought her a cup of "extremely hot water" sitting in another cup which contained the tea bag and condiment packets.
    In the "plaintiffs efforts to extricate the tea bag from its position of being wedged between the tilted paper 'hot cup' of extremely hot water and the shorter clear plastic soft drink cup, the extremely hot water spilled into her lap at her groin area," the suit said.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/passenger-sues-southwest-airlines-over-hot-tea-spill#ixzz27fV5WC6c

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blame it on the tea, but for 800.000 bucks?

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    'groin area" :eek:

uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, this has to hurt rather badly.

sobore likes this.
  5. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's tea; the water has to be hot. I'd like to see SWA try to serve me cold tea. Someone tell this women to grow up and accept responsibility for her own actions. She spilled hot water on herself. Oh well.

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night my wife started watch the HBO movie Hot Coffee and it showed many photos of Stella Liebeck's burns who is known for her McDonalds’ Coffee lawsuit.

In no way do the photos look frivolous, it included the photos shown at this url:
    (they are nasty so view at your own risk)
    http://justicebeforecharity.org/stella.php
    (they are nasty so view at your own risk)

The movie could well be seen as a propaganda piece, but it does reinforce the fact that what we know about lawsuits are the result of professional big budget PR campaigns paid for by those most at risk from lawsuits – big tobacco, polluters etc…

Before you claim something is frivolous you should make sure you have all the facts. Keep in mind that all parties have huge motivation to distort the information that they disseminate through their own PR efforts. (That includes both sides of any suit.)

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were fumbling around with a paper cup full of extremely hot water, I'd probably avoid holding it over my groin area. Self-preservation instinct.

sobore likes this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very, very wise. Groin area protection should be on everyone's radar! :p