Partnership with Icelandair ends on 1 June 2013

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines has announced they will be severing ties with partner Icelandair effective June 1, 2013. The two will have a "phased" winding down of relations following that date per an email sent to Mileage Plan members this week:

The phased approach is actually reasonably generous, based on the purchase date of the ticket as defining the earning rules. Here’s what their website shows:

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wording from the reward area of the Alaska website:

Icelandair

Effective June 1, 2013, Icelandair will no longer be a Mileage Plan™ partner. Existing award travel, and award travel booked by May 31, 2013, will be honored for travel through February 28, 2014. Award travel on Icelandair cannot be booked or changed after May 31, 2013.​

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...I had it in the first post. :)

daninstl likes this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad I got in on that deal a few months ago for AS first. Would be curious to know if that was the driving force behind this. I thought the ANC/SEA-REK route would have helped the relationship.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree the route to Iceland from that part of north ameica should of helped them both you'd think. Odd. Maybe the whole Iceland miles to Hawaii deal hurt the relationship.

skyvan likes this.