Partner Milage accrual diffrences - UA vs. CO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by european28, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There appear to be some differences in mileage accrual rates for flying on partner *A airlines between CO and UA.

I am specifically looking at S class TATL flights on LH.
    According to UA.com, I will be getting 100% accrual, but it only earns 50% according to CO.com

Is the info posted on the two websites correct or is one of them just out of date?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are correct. The airlines are still operating as seperate carriers and they each have specific agreements with partners for mileage earning. LH discount fares only earn 50% on CO, but 100% on UA. That may or may not change as the merger continues.

3. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks,
    That tells me which account number should I be using :)

4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there are differences between CO OP and UA MP with the partners. While I cannot speak to the question posed authoritatively, on US, for instance the full "Y" fare accrues 150% EQMs on UA but only 100% on CO. The way around this of course is if your status is linked, then use the FFN that gets you the best results.

Safe Travels

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and now that you can transfer RDMs between accounts, if you traditionally earn and burn with CO, earn the LH segment on UA and move the miles afterward. EQMs are another story, though.

6. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't the EQM's earned in both UA and CO accounts supposed to be combined by the end of the year?

7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that is the stated goal, but if one is attempting to make status immediately, it is something that must be considered.

8. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true. I am in the boat of trying not to loose my status and already have some EQM's accumulated in my CO account. I probably should not be diluting my earnings into two separate accounts, especially if there is a chance CO/UA will not really combine by the end of the year.

9. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought they were keeping track of EQMs and combining them as the year goes on? Not that it matters to me, since I have status till the end of the year, but isn't it he case that if someone flies 50k on CO and 50K on UA, they EQMs combine right away for a 1k status? Or am I reading this wrong?

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For status purposes that is correct. For purposes of CR-1s, it gets murkier if earning under the old UA rules I think.

11. dwhotz
    Original Member

dwhotz Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO only gets 50% Gold bonus on US flights while UA gets 100%. UA, however, only gives actually mileage flown on US flights while CO gives 500 mile minimum. So what's more important on these short flights? Double redeemable miles or 500 EQMs? To make it more complicated, what if you're connecting to a longer flight?

sunseeker likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope...so long as the accounts are linked for status earning (different from RDM transfers) the earning will be tracked between both programs more or less in real time as Ygor mentions. Quite a nice benefit, really.

If you were a 1K in 2010 and thus eligible for the 10K BIS/quarter SWUs then you need to fly on UA metal and have chosen UA as your earning point for your linked accounts and use your UA MP number. Otherwise it doesn't really matter except that UA will issue the CR1s and SWUs immediately and CO will, too, except that they do not have the systems in place yet so if you want them to last a little longer choosing CO as the earning point would delay their issuance and thus make the 12 month validity a bit longer.

13. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I both see and stand corrected (as usual). :D

14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends, I guess. I credit mine to UA but that's because I rarely fly US and should requal without the couple of hundred extra EQM that would be at stake so I just maximize RDM and move on.

If you really think you'll come down to being within a few hundred EQM of status (you're not talking about 500 vs. zero after all, just 500 versus some lesser amount) or you fly a lot of US shorthaul then CO would be a better choice.

You could always not put a FF# in and then send the short-haul boarding pass to CO for retroactive credit and the longer-leg pass to UA.

15. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the flight is less than 375 miles, you do better with CO in terms of both EQM and RDM. Between 375 and 500, you need to decide whether EQMs or RDMs matter more (but it shouldn't make a huge difference either way). Above 500, credit to UA.

If you're connecting to a longer flight, you're probably better off crediting to UA unless you think the extra couple hundred EQM will make a difference.

On the other hand, you'll end up in Zone 5 or 6 and will have to pay baggage fees, and you won't be able to get into E+.