Partner Awards to Australia

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From LAX, are there any other options for a partner award to Australia besides Qantas and Air Tahiti Nui? Am I correct that if you come down from Asia it needs to be either two partner awards or a One World award?

I have a friend looking for a one way award to meet up with a cruise in Australia in February and she hasn't been able to find business or first available with the options I can think of the last few weeks. Anything I'm missing?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about this but how about say LAX/SCL/AKL/MEL ?
    As to the Asia part of the question not quite sure as to your meaning... surely one can get to Oz with one partner award from say NRT or HKG?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A partner award via Santiago? It's a long trip (almost 13,000 miles) if it can be done. I'll run it by her as an option.

But from LAX that would require two partner awards (or a single One World award), correct? One to NRT/HKG and a second down into Australia. I always thought you couldn't route to Australia on a single partner award via Asia.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check DFW...I think Qantas added a new flight from DFW-SYD.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have all the Qantas routes stored on EF and have been checking them regularly (LAX-SYD, LAX-MEL, LAX-BNE,LAX-AKL, DFW-BNE, DFW-SYD, HNL-SYD).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful of the HNL-SYD service. I fly to SYD often and thought i'd liven it up with an 8 hour layover in HNL. While a mid-journey visit to Waikiki was nice enroute to LGA, qf's service on this route is essentially enhanced domestic service. Whereas QF offers lie-flat seats to lax, dfw, NRT, or even PER, for this tourist-dominated route the seats recline essentially the same as a domestic f seat would. It is a 1+2+2 configuration on their 767 for this route, for a message board that dislikes DL's old 160-degree-ish business elite seats, these will be absolutely terrible. Plus, you'll have traditional f service from the mainland to HNL. While an afternoon at the beach is far superior to the ow f lounge at TBIT, the seating on the HNL routing is one to be avoided. I think it's pretty much the same on air Tahiti, though I haven't flown their metal.

I have flown to oz via Asia on paid tickets from New York. it's only about 4 hours longer, so not terrible, and often can be a bunch less for a j seat on CX versus the fare on QF.

I hold in my mind that this is a double award to travel to oz via Asia, though I must say I cannot point to a written authority on this (though I haven't looked).

One thing you might consider is an award to sin, then buy a paid ticket from sin to Mel/SYD. This route is dominated by a380 service and usually has a decent advance purchase j option. Award seats are also moderately plentiful in j.

USA-Australia remains one of the toughest markets for j awards in the world. If there was ever a time to consider an award booking advisor (they typically work on a success basis I believe), this might be it!

Sagy, JohnDeere19 and tom911 like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tpac from scl is also a very tough award.

I flew SYD-lax-JFK on QF in f in '09 (back when they ran the 747 on the transcon), and next to me in 1a was a QF employee. I asked him what business he had in NY, and he said he was continuing on to scl on AA - and that QF revenue management wouldn't give up a premium class seat for any day that week due to anticipated loads - and made him fly, er, the long way...

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes that is correct i was just confused when you said "from Asia"
    One other possible Qantas option is the newish EZE/SYD flight.

I know you have EF notifications set up for QF but the SCL/AKL flight is operated by LAN so it might be worth a call directly to them see if you can get a LAX (or even MIA)/SCL/AKL award..

tom911 likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The QF aircraft is an A330-200 for HNL-SYD. I flew an A330 domestic to/from Perth last year and hated the F seat, though don't know if it's the same configuration used for international. Here's a photo of it:

[​IMG]

I'll have them look at fares coming down from SIN as an option. I don't think they have enough miles to do the two separate partner awards (US-Asia, Asia-Australia) or a One World award.

NYBanker likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll call LAN later today.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh...This could he important.

I flee SYD-HNL in November 2009. It was a 767 then. If they've moved to a330 service, there is a chance it has the now-being-phased out angled lie-flat seats. These are very different than what they used to run to PER (in your photo).

That said, SYD-per is now a lie-flat route (updated from when you flew) to compete with Virgin's lie-flat seats on the route. The seating style you were in (which is called business there) is no longer offered on the SYD-per route.

I have a funny feeling, however, (though this is just a hunch), that your Perth-bound a330 now flies to Hawaii. It's worth checking the seating information if you are seriously considering this. QF does have a330s with angled lie-flat j seating ... Which I find to be fine ... But my gut says on this tourist route, they probably are using the old Perth aircraft.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pleae post here regarding the feedback from LAN as I am interested in at least the SCL/AKL award availablity.

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's also Air Pacific LAX-NAN-SYD/BNE/etc

tom911 likes this.
  14. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if you do, make sure you allow for significant delays through NAN. I've found FJ to be fairly average, an out-of-date airline.

15. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong ? Lax to HKG onward to OZ ?

16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with CX through HKG is that you need two partner awards, one USA to Asia and another from Asia to Australia. Miles cost is prohibitive as it is with a One World award coming down that way and starting from the U.S.

17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow-up:

Had an Expert Flyer alert today that at least one seat had opened in business LAX-BNE for my friends February travel dates (they had a range of about 4 dates that would work). Ended up being two seats when I inquired manually, and within minutes they had those seats on hold. Took 7 weeks for those to pop up. Plenty of availability on the onward connection to Adelaide, their final destination, and they just need the one way.

I had stopped checking HNL-SYD as they did not want to fly the aircraft offered on that route in business.

They had called LAN when we started this process and there was no availability. I'd been checking QF EZE-SYD myself and nothing opened up there along the way.

bez7 and ExpertFlyer Voice like this.