Partner Award Ticketing from aa.com

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of you may be old hands at this, but today was my first experience "buying" online a free AA award ticket that included some legs on a partner carrier.

Specifically, my six-leg itinerary involves four legs on AA and two on AS, which came online to aa.com early this year (a few months before HA and QF did.)

All in all I was impressed how smoothly it worked. AA allowed me to hold the itinerary for a few days like any other AAward reservation, and then gave me a "ticketed" status and a confirmation email within an hour or so of me paying the ten bucks for the T.S.A. today. The only additional step at all was that I had to telephone AS for first-class seat assignments on its two legs, but the telephone maze was very brief, I got to an agent with no hold time at all, she found my reservation based only on my name, travel date and city of departure with no need for ticket, PNR or even flight numbers, and quickly gave me the aisle seats that I wanted. I haven't traveled yet, of course, but I know how sometimes inter-company and inter-computer transactions can be persnickety, and I was impressed how smoothly it seemed to go.

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked Cathay through AA using miles and the service could not have been better, just as your experience was obviously excellent.

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marcwint: was yours also an ONLINE award booking? I thought online award redemption of awards with AAdvantage miles via AA.com was limited to flights on AA, AS. HA, QF and BA, most of those just added relatively recently. American has said they would be expanding that to other airlines as time went on. If they've now added online AA.com award booking for Cathay, I'd be very impressed indeed. So, I wanted to check.

Another question, Marcwint: Did you have to call Cathay directly for your assignment of seats?

Thanx in adv.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    CX is not available on AA.com. Yet. :)

I select my seat for CX bookings on their website. When I make the reservation I ask the AAgent for the CX PNR and just hop online.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - the one thing AA.com doesn't give you when confirming online award bookings with a partner airline is the PNR for the other company. At least I didn't see it today for my AS award flights ORD-SEA and SEA-HNL. And since Alaska's website asks for passenger last name and either Alaska ticket number or PNR, I had to call one of those old-fashioned things: a human :( But it was pretty painless. Thanks.

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of award ticketing, I was wondering if any of you may be able to provide some insights.

I'm trying to burn some of my AA miles for a trip to Kathmandu, Nepal (KTM). Residing in SEA, I figured the most "direct" routing would be via Asia. However, an AAdvantage agent pulled an availability as follows: SEA-LAX-NRT-KUL-KTM on AS/MH in J, quoted at 80,000 miles.

I asked which routing would qualify for the 67.5k miles as listed on the award chart. She says via the Atlantic, but no availability was noted. I presume she looked for multiple OW carriers as well as partner airlines.

My questions are:
    1. Was the agent correct with her query as well as her quote of 80k miles via the Pacific?
    2. When looking for availability on ba.com, I was able to locate some availability on the SAN-NRT//NRT-HKG route. How can I convince the agent to pull SEA-SAN-NRT-HKG-KTM route with the proper amount of miles, without paying more for an additional/separate award?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried SEA-YVR-HKG-KTM on AS/CX? Or SEA-SFO-HKG? CX overwater will be same price on miles and it is super.

I'm not an expert and I'm on my iPhone but it might be two zone transit rule of AA chart. Basically NRT is Asia 1 zone and KTM might be Asia 2 zone on the AA award chart. If you transit Asia zones 1 and 2 they make you pay for a second award cost I believe so its 50k to NRT and 30k for intra Asia award to zone 2 for 80k total.

You should be able to find some good info on the blogs or maybe someone with full computing setup will post here.

kw335 likes this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also KTM is fantastic! And a really amazing flight in - try to go during day or at least a clear night. Have fun!

kw335 likes this.
  9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As it turns out, apparently KTM is considered "Middle East/Indian Subcontinent" zone, and the legal routing is through the Atlantic (even though geographically, traveling from Seattle via Asia would be the most logical way). Therefore, they priced SEA-LAX-NRT-KUL at 55k in J, and KUL-KTM at 30k additional miles in J = 85k.

I'm not seeing much CX availability 3 weeks out, but I'm still toying around with a couple of different ideas.

I can't believe BA is charging $130+ in taxes/fees/surcharges (one-way!) to redeem Avios for HKG-KTM :mad:

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It might seem like SEA-KTM over the Pacific is shorter, but it's about the same or longer in some cases.

SEA-SFO-HKG-KTM = 9430
    SEA-LAX-NRT-KUL-KTM = 11790

SEA-LHR-DEL-KTM = 9498
    SEA-DFW-LHR-DEL-KTM = 11108

Either way, AA's award rules only allow routing to that region via the Atlantic, so you'll sadly have to work within that if you want to go to KTM. Using Avios is an option if you just go through Asia and pick up a 2nd ticket, but as you can see, BA isn't always great with their fees.

Have you look into the viability of using a OW Explorer award instead of a traditional award to loosen your routing rules? Could likely do J through Asia on AA/CX/JL for 150K miles round trip.

Good luck!

ballardFlyer and kw335 like this.