Particularly flexible revenue ticket rules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I just got back from a whirlwind tour of NZ, Oz, Singapore and HK on Singapore. When we bought the tickets, we were just looking for SQ fare classes that earned miles (we flew ex-SFO the long way through ICN, SIN to AKL) and SQ was able to fit in stopovers to insta-silver us on UA.

Later, I read the fare rules and discovered that any flight after the initial one could be changed... FOR FREE! This was very helpful because I discovered I could take an extra week off and separately we decided to spend more time in SIN to visit Malaysia. Hell, we could have spent an indefinite time in almost any of locations we visited!

My question to you is: Have you heard of any other airlines with revenue fare classes that have particularly generous change policies, creative routings, free/cheap stopovers or other perks that can add significant value over a comparable "non-refundable/change fee/direct routing only/no stopover ticket"? A lot of blogs/threads focus on award tickets, but how about revenue?

Eric

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apart from Y, C, or F, no, not really. :) At least -- not in the last 20-ish years.