Parker: Reciprocal status starts in January

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MileCards, Dec 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know.

Will look into buying up to elite status on U.S. Airways. If nothing else it can get status match with other *A airline.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just in:

Dear Canadi>n,
    AAdvantage[​IMG] Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX
    [​IMG]
    Today is a big day for American and US Airways.

Our merger has legally closed, which means we're taking an exciting step toward building the new American. We're combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern and fuel-efficient fleet.

It's important to note that there is no impact to any existing reservations you may have with American Airlines or US Airways at this time, and any mileage balance or elite status you have earned in either frequent flyer program is completely safe.

We'll continue to function as two separate airlines for quite some time, and very few changes will happen immediately. For now, you won't see any changes to your travel experience as we will be focusing completely on delivering a superior operation during the busy holiday travel season. But, beginning in early January, we'll announce exciting new benefits such as the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers and reciprocal lounge access.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us, and we will be working hard in the coming weeks and months to deliver a world class travel experience. Look for additional communications from our new American team on these and other benefits headed your way. You also can stay up-to-date on the latest developments by visitingaa.com/arriving, as well as following our social channels.

I'm excited to start this journey and look forward to building a stronger airline for you.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Scott Kirby
    President
    American Airlines

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because you would not be lured into clicking on to his cc links if the info was merely provided here on MP.

Naughty naughty blogperson.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article is from Saturday, http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...new-destination-as-worlds-largest-airline.ece

Plan to operate as separate airlines for 1.5 years, get single operating certificate in second half of 2015.
    Dec 9, 2013: stop codesharing with UA
    Jan 7: elite recognition across both, including earning and burning miles on the other airline
    Mid-Jan: start codesharing each other's flights for flights starting in February
    March: AA codeshare on all US flights
    March 22: end of club access for US Amex Plat cardholders
    March 30: leave *A, also the end of US/UA club membership access
    March 31: Join OW (per http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/pressroom/newamerican.html)
    Late 2014/Early 2015: single frequent flyer program

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it looks like there should be a big asterisk in the Dallas News article where it says "Frequent-flier programs: In early January, elite members of American’s and US Airways’ frequent-flier programs will begin to enjoy reciprocal benefits, such as early boarding and free checked bags."

Looking at the US Airways transition website which was updated this morning it says there is no plan to offer complete reciprocity yet:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/pressroom/newamerican.html?cint=hp_newslink_21222

Will my Dividend Miles Preferred status automatically be recognized with an equivalent AAdvantage elite status when the programs merge?
    At this time, we’ll continue to maintain our separate loyalty programs – American Airlines AAdvantage and US Airways Dividend Miles. You’ll retain your Preferred status as usual through the remainder of the program year.

Currently, we won’t match elite status levels between the two programs. Beginning in early January 2014, Dividend Miles Preferred members will receive select benefits when traveling on American and vice versa. Decisions about elite status under a combined program have yet to be made, but we’ll keep you updated and will provide plenty of notice for any decisions that impact our members.​

Corrected the post on our end. Moderator - please update the thread title.

Buying US Airways status in advance would not result in double benefits until they formal merge the elite levels.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  8. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I book a flight in late January on BA metal with AA codeshare flight number will I be able to credit my US account?

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    In theory, yes. At a minimum, I would expect that if you can't, you'll be able to combine the two accounts for elite status in 2014 and maybe transfer balances.

Flyer1976 and Gtitan like this.
  10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is like the other mergers, think the analysis is spot on!:cool:

11. ben1979

ben1979 Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXP dropping to GLD, thinking about spending $1200 for the PLT buyback. Mostly so I can keep my 100% mileage bonus.
    Is it worth it to just spend $3K to buy Chairman's Preferred (I know this means missing out on 8 EVIP)?

FWIW I got EXP in Jan 2012 from the two stacking DEQM promo and that was 11RT + ~$3K.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't think that EXP equivalent status minus the eVIPs is worth $3K.

flyforawg likes this.
  13. BritishMusicFan

BritishMusicFan Active Member

Status Points:
    So, is anyone considering doing a gold/platinum challenge? I'm assuming that might go away down the road.

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Now that AA charges for challenges I don't see them going away soon. Don't get me wrong, US definitely has the methodology to just sell status. But, Doug picked Suzanne Rubin to be in charge of AAdvantage and challenges are likely her domain. With everything else on the horizon I don't see this being an immediate issue to address.

15. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When do you think we are going to get more details on this? I have January travel to book and was hoping we would learn more before making my flight choices.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Details to come January 7