Park Hyatt Zurich - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We spent two nights at this property using my 2 Free Suite nights from the Credit Card.

The property is located in a rather non-descript building in the financial area (I believe that the property was a reconstructed Parking garage). The decor of the property is the understated contemporary that is typical of Park Hyatts.

We were assigned to 537 (the property is 6 floors) and each of the guest floors (3-6) has three suites (two of the smaller ones which 537 is one - and a larger one 530). 537 is the room (suite) farthest from the elevator. The suite is very comfortably sized. The entry area has a credenza cabinet containing the mini-bar. Then comes the living room area with a couch, chair, coffee table. In the same area is a desk with two chairs along with a bookcase (including miscellaneous books) and a cabinet which serves as a stand for the B&O flat panel TV along with a DVD player. On either side of the bookcase wall is a passage to the bedroom area (there is no door separating the areas). The bed headboard is the backside of the bookcase. The bed is flanked by small night stands each of which has a telephone. Other furnishing in the bed area is a chair and a cabinet for the other B&O flat panel TV along with another DVD player. Pocket doors lead to the bathroom which has a closet, toilet compartment (behind glass door) and spacious shower (also behind glass door) on one side, a freestanding "egg" shaped bathtub on the far end, and a vanity with two sinks and a small TV on the other side.

Breakfast is served in the "lounge" area off the lobby. Diamond breakfast is the cold buffet plus a hot entree that is ordered - called the Swiss Farmer's Breakfast (normally costs 47 CHF - additional tip is charged on the folio). Diamond welcome amenity was a bottle of Red Wine (not sure if this was a function of being a suite since there have been reports - on the TOBB - that it is usually chocolates / caramels in a jar along with those in a bag).

Overall, we were very pleased with the property and find it to be one of the very best Hyatt properties - great use of a free night (either credit card or points) since this is a very pricey property.
    This was a great use of the free suite nights

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of using my certs here (once i apply for the card) ... but you saying its in the financial area... does that mean its not a good location to do the touristy thing?

rharrigill and uggboy like this.
  3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Zurich is quite compact - and the main "touristy" area - the shopping street of Bahnhofstrasse is about a 5 min walk away as is the lake.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Zurich is not only compact, the trams are amazing. I passed the Park Hyatt several times in my 2-day stay, and I wasn't trying to get there, so it's very central.

5. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed as others have said, it's a short walk (~5 min) to the river or lake, and only about a ~15 minute walk to the main train station. I love this property, and it is definitely worth staying there on award nights (even if in a standard room like we were...still very nice).

uggboy likes this.
  6. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here at the end of June using points. Really loved the hotel and the staff was fantastic. As others have stated, Zurich is very compact and walkable. Very easy to get most places with a 20 minute walk.

uggboy and healinginfluence like this.
  7. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here used one of the 2 free nights because of the Chase Visa card. I used the other one at the PH in Tokyo. Platinum does not get you much besides a room upgrade. But we liked the location, it is right next to the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss and about 5 minutes to the Lake, about 7 min to an affordable Coop or Migros grocery store. The parking around the Hotel is very pricy, I went back a couple times to insert a couple new 2 franc pieces which then saved some money after 6pm. Did not eat any food at Hotel, too expensive for our budget but they do have the best "missing article" selection I ever had at any Hyatt. We called for several things I received the best shaving kit with a high class shaver you can actually use, a good size foam that is normally sold in store and a after shave as well. Everything was packaged very nice. The bathroom mirror had a build in TV which no one in our family had ever seen before. Going back there in June but rates are too high and I can think of using 30000 GP in better ways then in one night there. But the Hotel is great, nothing to complain.

uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had an amazing thing happen there. With a lot of work, I managed to get to stop in Zurich on my way home from Athens where we finished a cruise. We were to stay for two days and continue home. It was about five years ago and we were able to book Swiss First Class using US Air miles.

When we got to Zurich, we realized the idea sounded better in the planning stages! We were tired and the weather in Zurich was awful. I knew that US Air does not allow changes in itineraries after the trip starts but thought I would contact them and see if they would let us travel home one day early. Asked the concierge for a local US Air phone number and he asked what we needed and could he help us. I told him what we wanted to do but left out the fact that US Air forbids this. Saw him about an hour later and he said we could do it and asked for all the details so he could call back and make the switch.

Saw him later that afternoon and he told us he had a busy afternoon! When he called back, they correctly told him it couldn't be done and he read them the riot act. "This is the Park Hyatt, this is a very important guest and I already promised him it could be done - and you simply have no choice but to do it!"

Apparently, they were intimidated enough to let it go through and we got what we wanted. I remain very impressed at how they went to bat for us! Beyond that it is an elegant hotel. We had an issue with dinner - being told that the fish would be fileted and it came filled with bones. Dish quickly removed, alternative put to the head of the line and replacement out within minutes. A very classy hotel - but then again, it IS a Park Hyatt!

rharrigill, TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.