Park Hyatt vs. Grand Hyatt in Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Explore, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    We wife (a Diamond) and I will be booking an AWARD stay at one property or the other for one night. My mother will be with us, but we'd prefer not to commit another 22K points for a second room, so a comped suite or large room with sofabed would be dandy.

Is one property or the other more likely to accommodate us with this request? Whom should we e-mail?

We've stayed at both properties before, but it's been a few years, so updates would be welcome. The Grand has a lounge....how extensive are the evening hors d'oeuvres? Does the Park still do room service breakfast for Diamonds? View is obviously better at the Park, but how about their pool and spa facilities vs. the Grand? Is the Park still doing the Tsukiji tour?

Any other thoughts welcome.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Park last September and we are going back in October. I personally think it is by far the better of the two hotels.

They still do room service breakfast and they still have the Japanese Breakfast option if ordered a day in advance.

We had two suites which we used diamond upgrades for and the service at the hotel could not have been better. The Spa was excellent other than having to use the baths naked which is not my first choice, although it seems to be the norm in Japan.

I did not hear about a tour, but I did not ask. They did get us reservations for the Sumo tournament and my son and I were crazy enough to use their bicycles for a ride around the city one day. It was not a ride for the faint of heart and I probably would not do it again.

3. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    sounds almost like you are going to using the facilities more than care too much about location. In a nut shell, the true thing that Grand has going for it is location. Its right in Roppongi Hills and walk to just about everything and when I rented a car, the parking was a manageable 30 bucks a night. Location cannot be beat. service is typical for any Japanese higher end property.

Park is in a class all by itself. The service is good even for Japanese standards, the F&B on property is pretty damn nice. The only junk thing is location. But if you are going to be hanging out around the property, go for it. I would take this over the Grand.

Have fun!

karung99 and marcwint55 like this.
  4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just book a suite award, rather than rely on the kindness of strangers. :)

(especially with mom along for the ride, but maybe that's just me.)

-David

5. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone seems to love the PH Hyatt, but I stayed at the GH last year b/c of their lounge and Roppongi location. I used 2 CC suite nights as a Diamond, and they generously gave us the Presidential suite (link). It was amazing! It had a roof-top heated pool, Mac and iPad for use, free wifi for as many devices as we had, kitchen area, dining and living areas, and Tokyo Tower view. We struck up a convo with the lounge manager, and he even gave us a comp bottle of wine at the hotel steakhouse.

Not sure why they gave us this bigger suite, I thought maybe they oversold their suites, or b/c we had 3 people registered in the room, and needed a rollaway bed, so they gave us this room that already had 2 beds. However, the PH breakfast looks like an experience, and their Diamond happy hour in the bar probably has a worthwhile ambiance.

marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are using an award, why not book a suite award? I would not count on a complimentary upgrade. Or book a paid stay and use one of your Diamond suite upgrades on the stay.

The PH has beautiful, spacious suites. Pool and fitness center are first rate too. There is no club lounge, but there is a complimentary cocktail hour at the New York bar (I think it is 5-6 or maybe 6-7). Breakfast is in the main restaurant.

marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

that was a fantastic upgrade. If I were guaranteed that, I would probably switch from the PH.

8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    my wife and I are going in June 14. We have been reading a lot on both. After trying to decide, we have been recently thinking that we should do 2 nights at the GH and 2 nights at the PH.

I know it will be somewhat of an inconvenience to change halfway through our stay but I can't decide:). Is that dumb?

karung99 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  9. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it's fine. The cab fare between the two hotels is about Y2500 during the daytime. Two people and average bags can easily fit in a cab.

karung99 and merice107 like this.
  10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you take the bus from NRT by chance? Or the train to Tokyo station and then a cab over to the GH?

11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the Park Hyatt too. The spa and rooftop pool are unforgettable