park hyatt: paris vs tokyo?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by oneeyejack, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    looking to use up my points at one of these properties? will be in paris this year and maybe tokyo next year.

which one would you choose and why?

2. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the relatively simple questions asked, I would select PH Paris Vendome. There's more than a few who do not believe the PH Tokyo is even the best Hyatt in Tokyo (for one or more reasons).

oneeyejack likes this.
  3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    i know that the park hyatt tokyo is a little further away from things but that's the only real benefit i can see for the grand hyatt. the GH is in a great location.

why do you think the vendome is better? are the rooms better, the service, the food?

4. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both and I would say Paris.

Both hotels are wonderful, but the PH Vendome's location makes it a tremendous base from which to explore Paris. I had excellent service and recognition of diamond status as well.

Rooms are actually fairly comparable. I had a Fuji view room in Tokyo, which was cool. The rooftop lounge was a spectacular place to listen to jazz and close out the trip in a relaxing way

Breakfast at the PH Paris was the best breakfast I've had in a Hyatt.

oneeyejack likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

oneeyejack likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    But Shinjuku is a lot of fun. The small one room/5-8 person bars are great.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The PH Tokyo is one of my favorite hotels in the world. I'll acknowledge it's hardly tops in Tokyo. I disagree with those who make the fair point that the Grand Hyatt's location makes it a superior property. It is a good property. But the Park Hyatt is special. Perhaps it's emotional attachment, the same way that i will always love the Fairmont in San Francisco, such a classic hotel atop Nob Hill. Of course I'm not a huge Paris guy anyway...

Watch Lost in Translation and then tell me you don't want to stay at the PH Tokyo. :)

RichardInSF and seaflyguy like this.
  8. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    In 2000, I was managing my company's Japan business remotely, and so was over there every three weeks or so. We needed a small office for just a couple of people and so used the Regus office that's in the middle of the three towers of the same building as the PH Tokyo. I never stayed there (my employer at the time was a bit cheap for that, so I would usually stay at the Keio Plaza), but had drinks on the bar on more than one occasion. Then of course Lost in Translation came out. I'm right with you on this one. I want to stay there, and I won't miss it again.

RichardInSF likes this.
  9. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but in innumerable visits to the PHT, I've never run into Scarlett Johansson. However I did once have to slog my way through virtually the entire featured cast of "Lord of the Rings" to get on the lift.

bta and thegrailer like this.
  10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's too bad - You must be the only one then. ;)