Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by CaptMorgan, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CaptMorgan

CaptMorgan Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Hyatt Diamond member, looking to use points for a week at PH Vendome. Is it worth it to use points for a suite or use points for a standard room & try to get upgraded upon arrival.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Standard advice us that if a particular room type (or suite) is important to you, this is what you should book. However, as a Hyatt Diamond, IIRC you should have four confirmed suite upgrades per year. This property would seem to be a good use of these certs, if the upgrade is available.

3. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a diamond, but I thought that the upgrade certs were technically only available on paid stays. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is right. I was just suggesting the cert as an alternative way of getting a suite by using Hyatt benefits.

5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you were saying. :)

6. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Suite upgrades (whether booked with points as a suite award, upgrade using points, or upgrade using a Diamond Confirmed Suite upgrade) at this property books into the Park Suite category which is not a true suite (its one room which is slightly bigger than the Park Deluxe category with a sofa in the room). However, depending on availability etc. they could further upgrade you into the Park Executive Suite category (which is a true suite with an additional 1/2 bath in the living room area). Obviously, its a YMMV issue whether you'll get the additional upgrade or not.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suites on points are 50% more points than the regular room. At this hotel on most dates, the suites are about 40% more dollars.

From what I've read, there can a great variability in terms of entry level rooms while with the suite upgrade, you have a better idea of what you are getting. We are going back in December for our third stay at this hotel. We were once upgraded to the Executive Suite but we were already using points for the Park King Suite. This hotel is a favorite for those staying without paying! It's pretty hard to get any kind of upgrade over and above what you pay for with either points or dollars.

How do you feel about the additional room? How many points do you have and do you desire to use them elsewhere? (this last question was rhetorical - don't expect an answer)

We had a points stay booked for December and it was for the suite. Cancelled and rebooked in cash when Capital One gave me 100,000 bonus miles (times two - one for me and one for my wife) and I used them for $3600 in Hyatt certificates. Then used a Diamond Suite upgrade. Can't wait!

8. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get in on the Cap One bonus. :( However, someone told me that the Hyatt Certs were only useable for US properties. Is that true?

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. The certificates I received have an expiration of 18 months and are usable world-wide. That said, I did not order them until I had received written email confirmation from the hotel that they would, in fact, be accepted. It is my understanding that these certificates have now been replaced on the Cap One website with Gift Cards that are, in fact, only usable in the US - can still be worthwhile tho.

Stay with me here! $30,000 spend on the Cap One card gets me 60,000 points. $30,000 spend on the Hyatt Visa gets my 30,000 points. Look now at the Park Hyatt Washington DC - one of my favorite hotels in the US. 33,000 Hyatt points gets a free night in a suite there - so with $30,000 spend on the Hyatt Visa, you still don't have enough for one night in a suite (tho 1.36 nights in a regular room). But 60,000 Cap One points gets me a $900 gift card. Looking out over the next year, I can find rates of $300-$350 for many times I want to go. I get to book almost three nights and use a Diamond Suite upgrade - and get stay and night credit in the process. Yes, I'm currently Diamond so I can do it and yes, I'm over 62 so I get a better rate. But all I'm trying to show is that it can still work out very well with the Cap One card.

Sorry for going so ridiculously off-topic!