Park Hyatt Milan Award Nights

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by zb1965, Aug 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. We were able to book 2 free nights in June 2013 and 2 free nights in July 2013. We were told we can only get Standard King to redeem free nights even though we need Deluxe King since our 16 year old goes with us and the Standard King is too small to place rollaway. We were offered 60 Euro per night upgrade to Deluxe and we accepted. The reservation information did not change and will not change they said. It still says we are booked to Standard King with 2 adults and no kids. They said the note was added as to show front desk agent that this was actually Deluxe King for 2 adults and 1 kid. I did not like it from the beginning. What can we do as the Platinum members to ensure that we will actually get Deluxe King for 3 of us ? I have mentioned Platinum membership and free upgrade but the response was of course only if available. I don't mind paying extra 60 Euro per night for Deluxe King but how do I make sure that they are actually holding Deluxe King for us...and if they do and at the time of arrival Deluxe King is available should not we get free upgrade as Platinum members without paying extra 60 Euro ?

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, when at the time of booking a Deluxe King is available you should get the upgrade, because of your Platinum status, of course, the hotel will do everything to sell the room first. It's pure economics.

3. At the time of booking Deluxe King was still available but we could not get it. They are saying we can only get it if it's still available at the time of arrival. What will happen if at the time of arrival it is no longer available and they don't let 3 of us into Standard King because it is too small ? Thanks very much in advance for all inputs !!!

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, if push comes to shove and they do not have a room for all 3 of you, you could shorten your stay and use the two free nights to get two rooms on the same night? Then, take the train and find a nice place on Lake Como for one night?

5. We will land in Munich, then drive to Milan for hopefully two nights stay, then drive to Croatia for another three weeks stay at my parents home. On our way back we would like to use again another two free nights stay at Park Hyatt Milan, then drive to Munich airport and finally be back to the US. It won't be disaster even if we don't get any free night at Park Hyatt Milan but sure it would be nice to know in advance. With this type of reservation they made for us everything is in question. Do they tell us the truth when they say that with free nights award we can only make reservation for the Standard room and not Deluxe ?

6. I mean we are willing to pay for the upgrade from Standard to Deluxe but they still won't change the reservation to reflect Deluxe. They basically have no obligation to hold Deluxe for us and we won't know if Deluxe is available until we arrive there. Any suggestion other then to get two Standard rooms for one night instead of two Deluxe for two nights ( even that is in question, what if they don't have any extra Standard ??? )

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is nearly always true of all of the chains I have membership and/or status with -- standard room only on award stays. One thing nice about Hyatt is that you can be sure that all elite benefits are good on award stays.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably they are changing it locally and don't have a way to update it in the Hyatt system easily.

If they have sent you an email with the confirmation you are getting the larger room that should work fine.

This is a great hotel- and the service they give is in my are experience the very top level.

9. TRAVELSIG,

We have not received separate emails where they confirm larger room for us. The US based representative put me on hold to get the approval from manager for the upgrade at 60 Euro per night and that was it, just their word. When I returned later to our Hyatt GP accounts online and viewed the reservations again it remained the same: Standard King for 2 adults and no child. Maybe locally they see it differently but our GP Hyatt online accounts do not show the type of reservation promised to us verbally.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has often been my experience with Confirmed Suite upgrades, too. I can't see what Customer Service (and presumably the property) can.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Send a quick email to the hotel asking for a confirmation- if they send you back even a simple note "yes it is confirmed" I think you are fine.

12. TRAVELSIG,

Thanks for your reply. I will do that. I will send email to concierge desk and see if they can confirm our reservation.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spg and Ritz Rewards offer confirmed access to higher room categories on award stays for extra points.

I focus on these two hotel programs for exactly that reason.