Park Hyatt Maldives - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Price123, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a fantastic hotel with a great manager. Our full review is on our website (http://www.driven2travel.co.uk/park-hyatt-maldives---park-water-villa.html) with pictures, but I will post part of it here (it's too long to post the whole thing!).

We also met with GM whilst here http://www.driven2travel.co.uk/pierre-lang.html

If I say this hotel is unobtrusive, that is not meant as a put-down, or faint praise. It is in keeping with the owners' philosophy of having as light a footprint in a fragile environment as possible. As we approached the island by motorboat, the only signs of habitation were the two jetties, until we were almost at the landing stage. There is nothing above about 20 feet apart from the palm trees. What is there though is simple and elegant in design. Although it has only recently come to the Hyatt brand, it seems like a good fit. All the central buildings have a clean outline, nothing is overdesigned. Overall, the standard of fit and finish was extremely high. Where there were signs of wear, they were being attended to. The atmosphere is absolutely serene. If you want to get away from the hurly burly of modern life, while still having every need and whim catered for you could not do better.

The accommodation consists of 51 individual detached villas. What distinguishes them is their situation rather than size. All the water villas are perfectly placed at a slight angle to the next so that each has an amazing view of the Ocean and skyscape. Villa 51 is furthest from the island at the end of a boardwalk. Our home for 5 nights was Villa 49. Photographs don't really do justice to the atmosphere of light, space and cool created by the combination of uncluttered design, natural materials and the clever use of natural light at all times of day. The air conditioning is effective making it easy to sleep at night in huge king beds. Villas are well equipped with Nespresso coffee maker, flatscreen TV, Mini-bar, safe, life vests, oodles of towels, locally produced toiletries (excellent conditioner) and lots besides. The Wi-fi could be faster but hey, you're in the middle of The Indian Ocean! The veranda is completely private with a lockable gate to the ladder to the reef. It is a fabulous place to have room service breakfast, laze around watching a fantastic variety of tropical fish or simply gaze in awe at the night sky which has to be seen to be believed. You can borrow a telescope at reception.

Breakfast is included in the room rate for all guests and available as room service in your Villa for a $15 tray charge. It is worth it just to witness the golf cart arrival and ritual laying of the table. Breakfast is available all day and is substantial. Everyone receives the tiered platter with fruit, Mashuni Roshi (flat bread, tuna mixed with pepper and coconut) and pastries. You can then choose three items from the menu which is quite extensive for breakfast. You can order extra items at additional cost but really, I don't know who could eat that much. My favourite was the Maldivian tuna curry, cooked with coconut cream, moderately spicy. My partner really enjoyed the Cocotte eggs, always served soft in the middle, with a small slice of fig jelly on top, delicious! We soon adopted a pattern of snorkelling round the reef in the morning and stopping for breakfast at about 11:30 am. Sundowners in the evening are a privilege for Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond members who would usually receive complimentary breakfast as a status benefit. As this is available to all at PHM, this little sweetener is very welcome. Any drink on the menu (including champagne or cocktails) is available and is accompanied by complimentary canapes which change daily.

There is conservation activity all over the Indian Ocean and PHM has its own resident marine biologist. We had a guided snorkelling session with Arabella Willing on our first full day. She is marvellously knowledgeable as you would expect and the educational session before we entered the water enriched our experience enormously. The Blue Journeys dive and activity centre can cater for every level of scuba training from 8 year old "bubble makers" to rescue diver and Nitrox. We had done the PADI Discover Scuba course once before but decided to do it again and had one additional dive to cement what we had learned. (Swiss made) Matt and Catherine were both excellent teachers who were happy to go at our pace. Compared to some other destinations (eg Thailand) this is an expensive place to do your scuba training but there is a wide range of opportunities for boat diving for more experienced divers.

All spas claim to have a tranquil atmosphere and offer to heal your soul and body. We have been to many across Asia and Europe. All I can say is that Vidhun Spa lives up to all its promises. We called in at the spa on the day we arrived to check the facilities and the treatment menu. We have never been greeted more graciously anywhere. We were immediately offered cold towels and provided with a cool drink based on coconut milk. This was repeated each time we called in, no matter how briefly. We selected the Koimala ritual for two, which begins with an exfoliating whole body scrub, followed by a wrap and full body massage. Finally, you are soothed into a state of complete blissful relaxation by a facial. Having caught a bad dose of radiation on the legs whilst snorkelling, we were a little anxious about the scrub and wrap and renegotiated our package so that we had the cooling version of the first two stages of the ritual. We needn't have worried. The treatment was like a miracle cure for sun-burn! From that moment on all discomfort was gone. $800 may seem expensive compared to other Asian region spas, but it seemed good value to us. We have never felt so renewed. Neither of us has had the courage to remove the balancing bracelets applied at the end of the ritual for fear of breaking the spell (still on 2 months later!).

tommy777, OceanBreezes, jrp2 and 9 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, any review is never too long for MP, you could have published it all right here too!:)

tommy777 and aptraveler like this.
  3. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely concur, nice travel report. I enjoyed it very much that I dare to ask, where are we going next? ;)

jrp2 and uggboy like this.
  4. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you need a push in the right direction: http://www.driven2travel.co.uk/events.html (although you may want to fit in some other travel before August 2013).

Our next trip is a mad whirl with 1 night Mainz, 1 night Dubai, 1 night Abu Dhabi and 1 night Doha. You've got to make the most of those bank holidays right?

aptraveler, jrp2 and uggboy like this.
  5. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, you should make the best use of them. It looks like you will. Thanks for the tip, and happy travels!

6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this is a category 6, it costs 22,000 Hyatt points a night correct? Or at least 22,000 points for the Park Villa Room? How many points a night would it be for a Park Water Villa?

Edit: I posted this because I saw yesterday that the Chase Hyatt card was changing. The original plan was to have my wife and me to each get the card and do 4 days there. I wasn't sure how many points it would be if we didn't have the free nights from the card.

It now looks like the card still has the 2 free nights but now with a min. spend of $1000 in 3 months. I saw gleff post that he used those free nights on the park villa and upgraded for $350 (I think per night) to the over the water Park Water Villa.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Park Villa is the base room, it is 22,000 points per night. Since it is considered a suite you cannot spend additional points for a higher room category. You can pay to confirm a pool villa or water villa in advance, the price I've been quoted is $200++ per night for a pool villa and $350++ per night for a water villa.

merice107 likes this.
  8. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For any of you who haven't seen my post in the meet-ups forum, we have negotiated a fantastic package for our DO in August:

Arrival 6th August (after AUH option)
    Event for 3 nights but rate held for 5 extra
    Hadahaa hosted events: champagne reception, BBQ dinner and lucky dolphin cruise
    Other benefit: 25% off all spa, activities and dining (not minibar)

Rate
    $375+++/night Park Villa
    $525+++/night Pool Villa
    $675+++/night Water Villa

Contact me for more details

OceanBreezes, ballardFlyer and gleff like this.
  9. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic meet-up with great prices negotiated. If I had enough vacation left this year, I'd definitely be going. Retiring next year, so I will not get bogged down with this work stuff :)

10. 1oretta

1oretta New Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering whether you can provide me with more details on this package! Currently we are using hyatt points for 4 night stay with the $350 upgrade/night for the water villa with no extra deals on food/activities. We're planning on visiting in October..Thanks so much!

11. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is only available in August as part of the Do. You are welcome to come along, but it has to be 6th-9th August (possible add on up until 13th).

If you want to come for these dates, the rate is available and it would be a pleasure to meet you. The Do has an optional event beforehand in Abu Dhabi with some events before moving on the the Park Hyatt Maldives. The rate was negotiated because it is low season and is a group package. Although the weather can be worse, in August it is often ok because the island is so far South, and our contacts say high season is often worse weather - it is just luck at the end of the day. The hotel have been very generous in providing extras and a good rate, so we are happy to promote the offer.

Unfortunately, you have to pay the rate to get the benefits, you cannot use points and upgrade and still get the freebies. However, you could stay for 3 nights on the group rate and use points for any extras. If you would like to book or want further information, feel free to PM me.