Park Hyatt Istanbul Maçka Palas - Turkey - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Philipp, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello,
    as promised here is my review on the Park Hyatt Istanbul Macka Palas (Palace).

The official website of the Park Hyatt Istanbul:
    http://istanbul.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

First I want to start with a brief introduction of my travel experiences so you can evaluate my impressions. I'm 25 years old, always liked travelling and have been very lucky that my parents tried to show me some spots in the world when I was a kid. We usually spent the nights in a vacation house or in a decent hotel like "Novotel" instead of a 5* luxury hotel. Since I'm still a student and there a plenty of spots I want to visit I often backpack, couchsurf and stay in hostels. Besides having people around (I'm really enjoying myself in hostels) I as well like to be very well treated and enjoy a great time in spas. I'm hunting miles and sales, like priceline and wrong prices and therefore I've stayed in other Hyatt hotels (Park Hyatt Hamburg (Germany), Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme (Paris)), in Sofitels and spent nights in a Marriott as well.

Still the Park Hyatt Istanbul Macka Palas is the most overwhelming hotel I've stayed in so far.

The Location:
    The spot of the hotel is outstanding and in an aspiring quarter of Istanbul, Nisantasi. The hotel is in the middle of a shopping area with all luxury labels and nice restaurants around. The Istanbul Convention & Exhibition Center is closed and the places of interest (Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque) are easy to access as well. Either you'll take a 5 to 10 minute cap ride or a long but worthwile walk (around an hour). You'll have amazing views.

Of course the Hyatt offers a pick up service from the airport but it's quite expensive and I'd prefer taking a cap. Get a business card with the exact address of the Park Hyatt Macka Palas because every cap driver took us to the Hyatt Regency. The manager told us, that it is a common problem but it's just a matter of time until the drivers know the difference. I've been twice to this great hotel but the latest was in December 2009, so my information might be out-dated already.

Parking:
    The hotel offers valet parking and has an undergroud garage.

Check-In/Service:
    It was my first layover in a Hyatt hotel, using a free night and having no status. We arrived at 10 in the morning but felt very welcomed and got a room immediately. The staff was extraordinary friendly and helpful (we asked for help concerning tickets). The housekeeping did a perfect job as well.

Rooms:
    We have stayed in a Park Room and it was closed to perfect. Stylish, classy but although modern. Extraordinary was the wide open bathroom. The shower with the steambath function was amazing and I plan on getting exactly the same one for myself.

Sports/Spa:
    The spa area comparably small but very classy as well with seperate facilities for men and women, two saunas, three "treatment rooms" and a small, but modern, gym. There is pool outside with canvas chairs. Unfortunately no inside pool though.

I hope this review can be somewhat helpful. If you have any specific questions or questions concerning my wording (as you can see I'm no native) feel free to ask.

btw: Sorry for the bad pictures. You'll probably find better ones in the internet.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes- I have stayed in this hotel and the staffs were so nice, professional and friendly. We changed room twice and they were giving us advises as to a suite or a spa in-room, we liked both!

I would definitely go back and stay at the same hotel.

Though, the taxis drivers were a bit confused and lost on the way back to the hotel.
    btw - the rooms were quite cheap, around Euro 140, i think it was a good deal for a safe, new, hip and elegant hotel with great staff and good restaurants around.

Definitely check out the restaurant across the street, it was good!

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We were at this property last week - after our cruise - for one night. Checked-in quite early (before 10AM) and was given our room immediately. Was assigned to 705 which is a King Spa Room, the room had no real view however - from the floor plan map of the 7th floor - the King Spa rooms are on the side without a view and a little bit on the dark side - the "regular" rooms on the other side of the floor probably has better views. However, I was very pleased with the King Spa room which was spacious especially the bathroom which in total probably took up more than 1/2 the room area (vanity area off the bedroom area, toilet room with bidet and another sink/vanity, a wet area with a separate freestanding tub and a shower along with a steam room). This King Spa room is apparently a standard upgrade for Diamonds. Confirmable upgrade is into the Park Suite King which is about the same size but doesn't have the steam room in the bathroom - usage of the suite upgrade is not recommended for this property.

Although I was on points, the cash rates are quite reasonable at 300 Euros for such a property.

Breakfast is a cold buffet (fruits, pastry, cold cuts) along with a hot entree made to order along with juice and coffee served off the lobby area.

Internet service is provided by InterTouch - and is the speediest Internet that I've had anywhere (including at home - which isn't that fast since I'm on DSL).

As indicated above, the hotel is located in a very upscale area of Istanbul with every luxury label store imaginable within a few blocks. The property, which only has 90 rooms, opened 2.5 years ago after renovation from its prior use as the Italian Ambassador's Residence (according to the desk clerk - could have been the Embassy though due to the size).

Our cab driver from the ship was initially a bit confused but found the property without any problem.

The property is now also the contract pre-cruise hotel (along with the IC) for the cruise line (Regent) for passengers in the upper level cabins (included in the cruise fare or credit can be taken if not used) which is a bit surprising considering the very small size of the property. I did see a few people with cruise tags on their bags during the morning / early afternoon though - assumption is that they were getting on the ship that day (which we had just gotten off).

Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and would return if I were in IST again. Also, IMO, the property is properly classified as a Category 5 for award redemptions.

EDIT: I just remembered that the big negative for the property is that the bed was way too hard for my comfort (and couldn't sleep well all night).

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    would you recommend the use of a suite upgrade for a Platinum at this property?

5. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    See if you can upgrade to a spa room instead. The base suite is not worth it based on my experience there a couple years ago. There are a few more recent review threads in FT.

6. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed!!

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Spa Room is super unique. I prefer the Spa Room over any of the suites I've stayed in from Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton. Intercontinentals, and everywhere else. The Spa Rooms are just something else, make you feel like a King without requiring an entire suite.

8. MightyTravels

MightyTravels Silver Member

Status Points: