Park Hyatt Chicago

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by GeneCMH, Apr 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just came back from my second stay at the PH Chicago and thought I'd share my thoughts...

For what this property may lack in cutting edge style (such as most new PHs have), it makes up for with great service and an excellent location right on Michigan Avenue.

The location is excellent for all the shopping, dining and city walking you would want to do and it’s also just one block east of the Red Line 'El' stop. Easy walking from here to all the major shopping attractions including many Gold Coast boutiques and countless restaurants. There's an Armani store on the ground floor to boot :)

Though the hotel claims a multimillion dollar renovation of the rooms, I couldn't tell much difference from when I first stayed there a few years ago prior to the refresh. I think the TVs are new and maybe the room desks. Otherwise, the room decor is classy and clean, but IMHO lacks any wow-factor (though views are great and the power window blinds are cool). Rooms are nicely sized however and the bathrooms are large with separate soaker tub and shower. Bath amenities are from Le Sabon. The bed was very comfortable with a great mattress and feather bed and linens were crisp and luxurious.

The hotel's public spaces are understated and elegant and are somewhat hushed. The 7th floor housing their excellent restaurant NoMi, the pool and spa are closed for renovation until June 2011. But past experiences there were great.

Service provided by all staff members encountered was very friendly, professional and helpful.

For this stay, I had booked two rooms, and as a Diamond member, one of them was upgraded to an Executive Suite and the other to a Park View room (view of Water tower and lake). Diamond members also receive choice of amenity and breakfast in the restuarant or via room service. Internet access is free for all guests.

The executive suite was very large and occupied a corner position in the building with great views and many windows. The Executive Suite is essentially a generously sized 1 bedroom apartment (minus kitchen) with one and a half baths. Also, there was a great B&O sound system in the living room.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

2. Easy Victor

Easy Victor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would concur with just about everything you've written. I have stayed there twice, and both times were great experiences. I like laid-back hotels with excellent service-and the PH certainly fits this bill.

The rooms were very comfortable and appointed beautifully without being over-done.

We tried NoMI for breakfast and lunch, and it didn't disappoint at all. Food was good and service was great.

I have no status at Hyatt at all, and was treated well each time.

And the location is great.

cr34102, uggboy and gleff like this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have stayed here a few times and enjoyed each experience. It's certainly not the best PH in the world (which is a bit surprising given the location close to HQ), but it's still quite a good hotel..

That being said, the overall reviews on FT are more mixed than here, at least so far.

uggboy likes this.
  4. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always enjoyed my stays there---even had a great pedi at the spa. Fitness facility is very good, and I actually make a point of using my diamond breakfast perk there---the restaurant is quite good.

uggboy likes this.
  5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last time I stayed there I had Blaise Mautin products.

uggboy likes this.
  6. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed there with my niece last year and to say the least the stay was sublime in every way. The staff has to be some of the best at any hotel. Truly wonderful and memorable.

cr34102 and uggboy like this.
  7. rdrushal
    Original Member

rdrushal Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with what everyone else has said here. My wife and I have stayed at the PH Chicago on multiple occasions. The most recent was a 7 day stay while we were preparing for a move. The staff was great. In particular my wife got to know Luis in NoMI and he took care of everything we could want for breakfast every day.

The front desk staff was also great. After we had been there for three or four days we got to know the desk staff, and they actually upgraded us to a suite for our final night on the property. We have some awesome memories from the hotel and can not wait to go back!

8. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IME the spa and the breakfast at NoMi (crab benedict?) are the highlight of my stay.

9. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lobster Benedict at NoMi (I'm hoping that they don't revise the menu down in relation to the remodeling / renaming that they are doing right now - will reopen in June).

10. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lobster Benedict is still on the menu. Just completed a wonderful stay there this past week. Service was spectacular. I used a platinum cert for a free food & beverage amenity and they threw in cookies & milk for the kids.

11. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also a fan of this particular park Hyatt.

12. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed there again this past week. They're renovating their suites so upgrades are hard to come by if not impossible right now. Not clear if they're renovating them all at once or in phases.

13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed 3 nights, upgraded to a Park Suite.

Was given a 4th floor suite, and street noise was pretty bad. Room was quite pleasant, but not as dramatically pleasant as PH DC. Service was accommodating.

Breakfast was excellent. I love the crabcakes benedict. As for pricing, I could order anything on the menu, but tips were not removed (which is OK with me). I do resent that NoMi servers wear union flair. Yes, it is their right under federal labor laws, but I think announcing to the customer that they must interpose a union between them and management to get a fair shake is tacky. I wanted to withhold tips, but could not tell whether the servers could have been intimidated into wearing the pins.

Anyway, I went in with very high expectations, but was actually a small bit disappointed. Next time, I'll temper my expectations.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    So which is it, lobster or crab benedict? (or do they offer both?) :)

15. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    these days
    these days crabcake

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience was along the same spectrum - mixed.

I do not want to look at any type of "personal declaration" (politics, religion, union, etc) pin first thing in the morning, but I particularly agree that wearing the union pin at work is tacky. I did not get the impression they were forced to wear them because everyone did not do so.

I did not love the crab cakes, but am from Maryland so can be hard to please in that food group!

Bellmen, valet, and laundry services were first rate... Housekeeping not so much. And on odd things too - an espresso maker and all accompaniments - but no cups. (ever- I had to ask every day!). Candles were not replaced after being burnt....room was not vacuumed. No big deal - but I wasn't on points, so at the prices charged there should not be slip ups like this.

BUT (and it is a huge one). I also got upgraded to the top suite. Huge - bigger than my first house. Spectacular view. 3 TV's. Really, really, great. So I feel wretched complaining.....

17. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cannot state for certain that the union intimidated anyone into wearing the pins, but I am certain the union has the power to influence the member's decision. (and, no, they cannot force members to wear a union pin, but subtle, unprovable, discrimination may be visited upon one who does not). Anyway, I allow for the possibility of intimidation, giving the employee the benefit of the doubt prior to concluding that they really are indicating solidarity when they engage in the tacky practice of wearing the union pin in customer view.

I did like the crabcakes - and grew up in Maryland and live in Northern Virginia. Meat could have had larger lumps, but the benedict application it really does not require the highest quality crabcake.

18. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    QQ - Does anyone know which suite does a suite upgrade certificate book into? I read from some posts above that you were upgraded to a suite, did you all use a upgrade certificate or did you receive it as a complimentary upgrade? I am debating whether to use the certificate or not. Thanks!

19. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Park Suite, inevitably on a lower floor (3 or 4) and not with a lake view. FWIW, the only "complimentary" upgrade I've received at this property has been to a Lake View king room.

If you don't need or want the space of a Park Suite (~800 sq. ft., vs. ~500 sq. ft. for a king room), I would consider saving the certificate for somewhere else.

20. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:

Thank you - this is helpful.

21. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in a dilemma over staying at this hotel via reservation from Hyatt.com or a reservation from my MasterCard.

If I book 3 nights via Hyatt.com, I have to pay $340 USD per night and will get all the benefits.

If I book 3 nights via my MasterCard, I have to pay $271.65 CAD per night, and will not get any credit for the stay. And I am not sure if Park Hyatt will honour my Diamond status if I book via MasterCard.

Any insight from anyone who might have been in this dilemma before?

Travel dates is July 22 to July 25.

Thanks.

22. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say book three nights via your MC, do you mean through the MC luxury hotel booking site? Or is it making a booking on the Hyatt site and paying with MC?

While I can't necessarily speak to which option is best for you (if needing the nights or stays to retain status, I would go with Hyatt.com rate), I can suggest that you call Hyatt customer service and have your GP number recorded on the reservation if you go with the MC or any similar prepaid (e.g., Priceline) route. Doing so will give you diamond benefits during the stay, such as breakfast and the welcome amenity.

TravelMusing likes this.
  23. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, there! Thanks for your response!

I actually got lucky (with going onto Hyatt.com everyday to check the rates, of course! ;)) and managed to book myself 3 nights stay at $255.50 USD per night under a promotional rate! Very excited to be staying at Park Hyatt Chicago, at a good rate as a Diamond member, with stays credited!

WOOT!

24. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: on our recent stay at the hotel we felt that the hotel had started to slip across the board facilities, service and food. While still a nice stay we felt it was not nearly as impressive, follow through was weak. Went as a Hyatt Diamond member and on AMEX 's FHR program. Too bad. It was our favorite Chicago hotel.
    The Park Hyatt in Paris where we stayed a month earlier on the other hand remained quite crisp and impressive.

uggboy likes this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    P La Rue, Betty Boop and uggboy like this.