Park Hyatt Buenos Aires -- easy to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Ben_DC, Apr 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ben_DC

Ben_DC Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all:

We are traveling to Buenos Aires, and are really hoping to upgrade to a suite for our four-night stay.

We called the Platinum 800 # (neither of us are Diamond) and -- after talking to the helpful agent -- we have concluded these are our two best options:

1.) Upgrade to the normal rack rate, which will add about $650 total to our stay and will cost us 24,000 points for a suite upgrade (6,000/night). Our reservation for a deluxe king is currently booked via my partner's employer's corporate rate.

2.) Stick to our current rate for a deluxe room, and inquire about upgrade options upon check-in. The helpful woman at the Platinum # said "or you can pay the higher rate and use points or you can just hope for an upgrade at check-in. That happens a fair amount, but I obviously can't guarantee it."

We do not have the 108,000 points we would need to book a 4-night free night stay at the suite level (We have about 50,000 combined -- 35k in one account and 15k in the other).

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never hurts to contact the hotel manager or the front desk manager directly at the hotel. I have often been accomodated by doing this when the regular platinum or diamond number could not offer anything.

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Consider a reservation via a Virtuoso agent. Benefits for this property include: 1. Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability 2. Buffet breakfast daily, for up to two in-room guests in the restaurant 3. Wine and cheese tasting for two, once during stay, at Palacio Duhau Vinoteca

2. Consider a reservation via Fine Hotels & Resort (AMEX Plat/Cent cardholders). Benefits include: 1. Upgrade upon arrival, when available 2. Noon early check-in, upon availability 3. Daily continental breakfast for two 4. 4PM late guaranteed check-out 5. $100USD spa services credit to be used during your stay.

I'd prob. do a reservation via FHR due to the spa credit and late check-out but you would need to be an AMEX Plat or Cent cardholder. It doesn't guarantee a suite but it's worth leveraging your Plat status with the FD agent upon check-in.

NYBanker likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thoughts. I always book hotels of this calibre through one of these two channels.

It sounds like the op may be on a corporate rate, which could be notably less than the rack rates charged under either of the two programs. It is worth enquiring to see the difference.

5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property in the Fall under FHR rate. FHR rate was the same rate hyatt.com had but included 3rd night free, continental breakfast upgrade upon availability and $150 spa credit. I was Daimond at that time and got upgraded to Park Executive Suite: http://buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/rooms/room-description.jsp?chooseLocale=&start=7

PS: Do not know if my Diamond status alone or combination of Diamond status and FHR scored me such a nice suite :)

6. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    are the nights eligible for the Status if i book via virtuso or FHR ?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely.

8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have not been to the property so can't comment on the possibilities of getting a suite at check-in by paying for an upgrade charge (it does seem like the property has quite a few suites so it's definitely a possibility).

Regarding upgrading with points - it's 6,000 points for up to 4 nights - so the points part will "only" cost you 6,000 points (not 24,000) - but you are correct that you must pay the "rack" (Hyatt Daily Rate) to apply this upgrade (corporate discounts are not eligible).

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  9. aphil02

aphil02 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm the OP's partner.

My corporate rate for a suite is just a few dollars more than the rack rate for a standard room (not deluxe) -- but it sounds like the other programs (LL and FHR) offer some additional benefits that might be worth considering, as long as the suite upgrade is guaranteed. Unfortunately, I don't have a platinum Amex, so can't book through LL, but will give Virtuoso a try.

Thanks!

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is LL?

Note that both Virtuoso and FHR are normally one category upgrades if available at check in. There are a few exceptions.

11. aphil02

aphil02 Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I meant Virtuoso and FHR -- but I was thinking about Luxury Link (LL) for some reason...

We ended up booking the deluxe room and emailing the hotel. They have told us they would upgrade us. Crossing my fingers.