Park Hyatt Ararat Moscow

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Steven Schwartz, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised to find no review site for this hotel so here goes. Let me first start by saying that I am NOT an employee of Hyatt - I need to state that since that's how good my review will be!

Arrived at the hotel after a ridiculous trip from the airport. Moscow traffic is just awful. I read that most suggest taking the train but we are doing Moscow, St Petersburg and then boarding a Baltic cruise and with two couples, that's a lot of luggage. Took about 90 minutes in heavy traffic.

Arrived at the hotel and from the moment we walked in, we were impressed. Our friends had three free nights thanks to the Hyatt Visa I had them get. I redeemed 99,000 points for three nights in a Park King Suite. Check-in was smooth and very gracious. Whoever checks you in, then takes you to your room.

Now let me state that I lost my Diamond status in February and am still bummed about it. We get to the suite and my breath is taken away. They have upgraded us to a Wintergarden Suite, and if you never heard of this, please go to the Hyatt website and check it out. Magnificent suite and at the end, there is a solarium that extends the entire width of the two room suite. It has a table for dining and a divan, and a bank of greenhouse style windows that looks directly over the sites of Moscow - the Bolshoi was right in front of our room. There are simply no words. Our friends were not as lucky and were not overwhelmed, including the fact that they said the room had no drawers except for the nightstand (we're in a suite at the W St Petersburg right now and same complaint - these places seem to thing that style is a substitute for function). We had no such problem. One and a half baths with the master bath being bigger than our first apartment! We actually had breakfast in the solarium each of our three mornings. Our friends were astounded by the suite and out of curiosity, they asked what we did or what status we have that resulted in this - I had no answer. I have no idea why I got this magnificent upgrade and figured such things would disappear with the loss of Diamond status. All I can say is that I have stayed at four Park Hyatts - Washington, DC, Paris, Zurich and now Moscow - and have always been delighted beyond words.

Only hassle was the internet - could not get it to work. Called the front desk, they sent someone up and he could not help. Said the internet company would call in a few minutes and they could not solve the problem either. Explained that they would try to have the hotel reset the router. I told them we had to leave and that if there was still a problem, would call on our return.

When we got back, there was a wireless router sitting on my desk next to the computer. Problem solved. But I still got a plate of fruit the next day with apologies and calls each of the three days to make sure the problem was solved.

We had dinner the first night at the Conservatory - right below our room. Sat outdoors overlooking the Bolshoi on a magnificent evening. Food was wonderful - only complaint is that the cost of wine is astounding tho we had read about this before we left home.

Absolutely every single interaction we had with staff was positive. They could not do enough. They were warm, solicitous and professional. I did send a handwritten letter the manager the second day thanking him for the upgrade and telling him how wonderful the hotel was. Did not hear back.

Happy we went to Moscow and doubt we will ever return - it's a big world and lots of places to see. But if you have any plans of going there, this is simply as fine a hotel as I have ever stayed in. Period.

cennas, Toula, TAHKUCT and 3 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's quite a review. Wow. Better than I expected for this property.

Whilst your review sounds quite objective, do you think the generous upgrade factored in to your views of the hotel at all?

Were most of the staff locals - or from abroad?

Toula, TAHKUCT and Kalboz like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you loud and clear - a perceptive response. I'm sure the upgrade had to have an effect on my perception - how could it not? Years ago, we went to Madrid with our son, daughter-in-law and then 2 year old grandson after a week in Marbella. We stayed at the Westin Palace. My wife and I were upgraded to an incredible suite on the top floor with a rotunda for a living room and a balcony overlooking the square and the Prado. Our kids were given an adjoining and connecting Junior Suite. We basically had a two bedroom apartment, sans kitchen. Five + years later, we're still talking about it. So you're right, my review is tempered by the fact that the suite blew me away.

But if I try to strip that away, I'm still left with the most solicitous and caring staff I have ever seen. If not for the upgrade, we still would have had a suite since that's what I "paid" for and one of the nice things about Hyatt - award suites are available for only a 50% premium versus the 100% at Starwood (don't even mention Hilton!).

Almost all of the staff I met had local accents and pretty impeccable English. They all seemed proud of the property and happy to be there. Our restaurant and room service experiences were all top shelf. And in those areas, as I said above, I'm now a lowly Platinum.

And also not upgrade related is the wonderful location - simply could not ask for more. So yes, I'm sure our main memory will be the amazing suite but I do believe this is one special place!

Toula, Kalboz, NYBanker and 1 other person like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their high tea and spa seem to be popular with the local expat community. One also sees a lot of (wealthy) local Russians having drinks in the evening.

Toula likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Staying in Moscow in about a month or so and wondering if there are any updates. Used cash and points plus a Diamond upgrade to confirm a Park King Suite. Would be very nice to get an upgrade to a better suite but am not counting on it (obviously).