Park City Utah - Travel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by dhammer53, Aug 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're going to Park City Utah in the fall. If you've been there, can you give me/us suggestions of what to do for a long weekend.

Thanks.

2. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Olympic Training Center is interesting and fun,, ( Zip lines if thats your kind of thing ) Mountain Biking all around.. SLC is very close by and just lots of outdoor activities.. Enjoy! and Safe Travels..

Sweet Willie, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eat at High West and maybe Mariposa - two best meals I had there.

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Park City and L-O-V-E-D it!

The property offers a complimentary shuttle to downtown Park City.

I'm sure others may rave about The St. Regis or Stein Eriksen Lodge, but we were exceedingly pleased with the WA Park City.

Sweet Willie, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with schnitzel...good food but great whiskey!

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a condominium next door to the Stein Eriksen for a decade, and have spent many great times in Park City in all seasons. The early fall is an especially pleasant time to be there. The hiking, biking, wandering are delightful.

Mariposa is excellent, but it is only open during ski season, beginning in December.
    Generally my favorites have been Bill White's restaurants, especially Ghidotti's and Grappa. They do get slightly mixed reviews and usually are far better out of season than during high-traffic times, but that applies to everywhere in Park City. You will have the better service and more care in preparation anywhere you go when you're slightly out of season IME.

Sweet Willie, dhammer53 and Max M like this.
  7. If you going Park City Utah then visit this places.

Deer Valley Resort
    Park City Museum
    Alpine Coaster
    Guardsman Pass Scenic Backway
    Park City Mountain Resort
    Utah Olympic Park
    The Egyptian Theatre
    The Canyons
    Trout Bum 2
    Gorgoza Park at Park City Mountain Resort
    Utah Winter Sports Park
    Town Lift
    Park City Golf Club
    Enjoy buddy :)

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    trip report please!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if we go (can you say government shutdown), I'll get back to you.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. We need a completely up to date Park City view, anyway I do.
    I hope you succeed in going, idiots in Congress notwithstanding. We do want to hear your report. I, specifically, want to hear you review wine availability. That has always been a weakness in Utah because of the State monopoly on alcohol sales (BTW, doesn't it seem surpassing strange that a libertarian-oriented State such as Utah will not allow private sector free enterprise in certain areas?). Some years ago I worked with one of the Park City leading restauranteurs in setting up the wine list. The Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control set the rules, required 'club' membership for serving individual drinks, and sold all alcohol. The wine choices were/are less than optimal, storage is iffy and there's little one can do about any of this. Therefore, I'm most interested to know how this has changed with the influx of high end hotels and restaurants. Back in the day I allegedly brought in several cases a week from California when I was flying in myself. That was not considered a serious offense at the time. I do not know how it is today.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We went for Mexican food in Salt Lake last night. No issues ordering.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. If you insist. Let's start out by talking about 'drink' in Park City. There are no issues with booze. No clubs to join. Nothing. Many restaurants have no corkage, low corkage, or $15 and $25 corkage. This reads more like any city in any state.

A wine friend recommended a couple of restaurants that I write about below.

All of Bill Whites places are good, He's kinda the Gene Montesano of PC. Grappa italian and Chimayo southwestish are my two favorite. Food is great at both! I usually try and do both while there. Grappa is loud, and close together tables so ask for a corner. Ghidottis his other Italian is also good.

We ate at Grappa and Ghidottis. Both were delicious. If anyone goes to Park City off-peak, both places have buy 1 entrée, get the other entrée free. Coupons are in the local PC paper. FYI, Grappa is not cheap, and Ghidottis is less expensive, but at 2 for 1, I was a sport.

Ghidottis is a very pretty place. The food was surprisingly good. As a New Yorker, I'm always nervous eating Italian food away from a big city. It's located in a shopping center up the road from PC.
    FYI, corkage is waived if you buy a bottle. Corkage $15. We both enjoyed this.

Grappa is a very special place. Off season it's very quiet. Our table was in front of the fireplace downstairs. Our server was aces. My wife ordered a corn bisque soup. I ordered a flatbread pizza concoction with fresh vegetables. Both were top notch. Janice had the scallops and I ordered the filet mignon. This took steak house filet (if you eat that cut) to a new level. I'm sure these places are mobbed in season. The steak was delicious. Prepared in a red wine sauce with fresh seasonal vegetables. I think they charge $25 for BYO. They comped us a desert since I made a note on my Opentable reservation that this was our 35th anniversary dinner. :cool:

For those of you reading that don't want to stay in Park City, or very close to it, the Kimball Junction exit (on Interstate 80) of Park City has a variety of chain properties 'at a price'. The ride is only 6 - 7 miles(10km) to downtown PC. Street parking is $1.50 an hour. There are a couple of lots offering free parking on the parallel street. Main Street runs up/down hill. Bring good walking shoes.

I can see why people come in the winter, because there's nothing to do off-peak. [​IMG] We did do 2 day trips through scenic byways and mountain passes that were spectacular. PM me for details when you're ready to go.

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no hiking, horseback riding, rafting, biking, fishing ?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure. We did some hiking on the trail.
    Local horseback riding was $59 an hour. We saw plenty of people fishing on Mirror Lake.

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. thomas199023

thomas199023 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was just about the start this same thread! :D
    I have a business meeting in Park City coming up. Arriving on a Thursday evening in SLC leaving on Saturday afternoon, mid November. We're renting a car.

Where would you recommend us staying 2 nights in Park City?

I looked at the Marriott which looks decent and only 109usd a night, while not on the main street I think. There is also a Hilton "the sunrise" which is ok priced at 129. Or is there another hotel that you would recommend in that price range?

If it makes any difference I am Hilton Gold, SPG plat, hyatt plat, marriott gold, ihg plat. So any of those hotels

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites, just 6 miles from 'downtown' Park City. The exit off I-80 is called Kimball Junction. I found very low pre-paid prices on LMT. http://www.lmtclub.com/PageHotels.a...&hpt=0&hptf=0&hpstf=0&r1a=2&r1c=0&r1ca=&lsb=0 Free breakfast and wi-fi. No resort fees. Free parking. These days, Hampton Inns are pretty good. I was going to use my Hyatt points for their PC property. I'm glad I didn't.

thomas199023 likes this.