Paris

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by John Lawernce, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Is The Louvre Museum, Orsay, Quai de Blany good museums????
    Mont Saint Michele where else should I go????

jbcarioca, uggboy and SuperKirby like this.
  2. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saint Germain area is fun, IME.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to be rude but did you do any research at all???

Mont St Michel is on the coast 250 miles from Paris

4. I think the OP knows, I am presuming he wants a day trip.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing that the OP posted this in the Luxury Hotel forum, I presume he's also looking for a suitable hotel in Paris, sadly there's no indication in his post yet.

The OP finds maybe better insights / recommendations about Paris cultural attractions when he visits the Europe Destination thread:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/europe.185/
    The OP could also open a new thread there on the subject should he be unable to find a suitable answer..

jbcarioca and AdamAlex like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what sort of art and experience you like. The Orsay and Louvre are very different experiences. I enjoy the Orsay more, but that is because the art is more to my liking. The Pompidou Centre is also one that I regularly visit (contemporary).

You might also consider the Rodin, Monet and Picasso museums. I prefer these smaller, dedicated museums the most in Paris. Not only are they much more intimate, they are also in residential areas (perhaps excluding Rodin)...I make a half-day journey out of a visit, spending some time in the non-tourist neighborhoods as well. That is one of the most enjoyable parts of a day in Paris, IMHO.

For dining, let me suggest three venues:
    http://www.chezsavy.com/accueil.php?lang=en
    http://www.taillevent.com/?language=english (this is where I want to eat my last meal)
    http://www.relaisentrecote.fr/uk/index.html (my favorite is the one in the 8th, 15, rue Marbeuf

If you're looking for a day trip out of Paris, why not consider a day in Normandy? Arrange a private 3/4 day tour. When you return to Paris, have a drink at the bar at the FS George V. This was Eisenhower's residence during the reconstruction of Paris. A fitting way to end the day.

Enjoy your trip.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed visiting the Louvre and set aside an entire day to do so. It was one of the highlights of my trip, and I'm looking forward to going again when I return to Paris in the spring. I would suggest checking out the exhibits, artists, and special events at each museum to see which one might interest you the most during your dates of travel.

8. I think the OP is very confusing

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one is interested in art, do Giverney (water lillies) rather than Mont St Michel as a day trip. You can also see the vilages where the impressionists painted the scenes along the Seine or focus on where van Gogh lived and painted outside of Paris. All of these are possible by public transportation but much easier and more pleasant by car. (The same is true for Mont St Michel.)

In fact, IMO it's a huge waste to do Mont St Michel without staying overnight in the vicinity to see the tides and the sunsets. The village also becomes pleasantly empty and peaceful once the tourist hoards have left for the day.