Paris United Club closed

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed the following at http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/locations/default.aspx:

I don't think it's been reported here. Funny how I flew through Paris a couple times over the last few months but didn't notice, because I was on LH which departs from another satellite.

Unfortunately, this has been in the making for a long time. My understanding is that the only reason that UA has held on to the club for so long is because they had a long term lease and there were costs associated with reducing the staff because of French laws. I can only assume that the merger has helped them rationalize the decision.

A couple years ago UA had a RCC, an IFL, and an Arrivals lounge in Paris. Granted the IFL was a closet, but it's still pretty sad to see everything go.

The Star Alliance lounge isn't half bad and does feature showers as welll as a small outdoor area. The color tones and lighting are depressing but that is unfortunately common to all Star lounges. The First Class lounge, while nothing to write home about, is very quiet (and has fresh squeezed OJ :)). While the UC had a rather dated decor, this change will only further increase crowding at the Star Alliance lounge, and reduces the breadth of available options. Still, not a surprising move...

brfong, sobore and tommy777 like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The RCC/UC in Paris was a closet too (and the washroom was disgusting). A major upgrade in getting into the Star Alliance lounge.

I too have been taking LH out of Paris a lot more lately, and didn't know about this.

3. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little off topic but might help some of you:

Even flying LH from satelite 6 you can still use the *A lounge. It's more of a hasle but i do so because it's the only place you can smoke in CDG.

At LH checkin ask for a pass to the *A lounge that is located in the upper shelf of the closet right behind the F/C agents. This pass is not needed for the lounge but can often be useful for the agents at immigration. Bear in mind that if you use this lounge you always have to leave a little bit more time than when at LH lounge, since you need to clear immigration another time.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shared lounges lead to lower costs without meaningfully sacrificing the experience for pax. They make a lot of sense.

SkyTeam, re T1 at JFK, your attention is drawn to the foregoing two sentences.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you have ever been to the old CDG RCC and was able to go to the Star Alliance Lounge in CDG, you would be AMAZED at the difference, let alone cost savings.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was in that closet of a lounge, entered a VIP with an entourage of security agents, they filled up the entire place for 1 VIP. They kept asking each other to remain quiet scaring the Mrs. so had to leave. Hope they make a bigger when they reopen.

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on personal experience, I can assure you that the merger of two US-based airlines would not relieve the surviving company from following ANY French labor laws.

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever happened to the talk of the combined company achieving the critical mass in certain markets to open up new clubs? Further, I'm still waiting to see just one renovated lounge...

Since the merger, only closures, although to be fair all but CDG have been duplicates. The new additions to the portfolio (SDQ and GUA) have mostly been driven by Copa, and indeed are Copa Clubs.

ssullivan likes this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

Are they called the Copa Cabanas?

EWR764 likes this.
  10. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, absolutely, what I meant is that with the new financial picture, it may just have made sense to absorb the costs related to layoffs--or alternatively, maybe layoffs aren't necessary anymore with the new operation. In short, this plan had been brewing and the merger appears to have unlocked it somehow.

On another note, I find it interesting to read the reactions in this thread... IMO the loss of a lounge is never positive. However ugly the lounge may have been, a closure basically means less space overall and more crowding. Unless maybe, the Star lounge ends up taking over the former RCC/UC space - I know that this is an idea that had been floated... but I wouldn't hold my breath.