Paris Travel Advice Sought

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by toddreg, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wife is planning a trip to Paris. This is sudden and planned around leaving in 2 weeks- don't ask! I have a zillion Starwood and Hilton points.

1- Which specific hotel property would you guys recommend for her to stay so she is within walking distance of museums and the main visitor sights?

2- In attempting to get her there I have over 100,000 United points, >200,000 AA and several hundred thousand Delta points. The problem is they are in my name, not hers. Do any of these programs allow me to book a ticket for a spouse when I am not traveling with them?

3- She has just over 100,000 Delta points. From Delta's search engine I have found an acceptable flight but it is 100,000 in Bus Class and not a non stop. I know the search engine Delta has does not work very effectively. Any suggested alternative ways to find a better/cheaper award seat?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Good for her, a city great that keeps getting better. I'm sure a number of members will chime in here but I'll add a little about hotels. Likely the best positioned hotel from the two programs you mention you have points in is the Westin Vendrome — right on the gardens and easy walks to many places. However, in about two weeks time they do not have any C&P available and not sure if you are seeking the best use of your points or want to go all out. They do have normal redemption available for points but is pretty pricey for there and also the somewhat nearby W Paris is available (near the Opera). If you're looking to stretch your points, you might consider the Le Meridien Etoile (SPG) which is not that close for easy walks, but is on the main subway line and i have always found it easy to get anywhere in minutes. And the good news is that hotel does have C&P available for about 4,800 points per night + $90. I think the current rates for these properties is 300-400 Euros per night. Paris Hilton is an option as it is near the Eiffel and others will chime in here.

Here's a trip report that a member wrote about the Le Meridien if it helps with any decision making. More later.

marcwint55 and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. You can book the ticket for your wife
    2. Take the DL flight and book it right now [Or at least try to put it on hold - no idea if DL does this?]. Connections really aren't that big a deal if you get the class, the destination and the dates you want. [I'd like to be so lucky]. As the saying goes, a bird in the hand... Also, unless you see a AA or UA flight that is also available right now, do not wait to book the DL flight. That being said, quickly look at AF to see what it has too

No info on SPG in CDG. My last Hilton stay was at the ADT but I do not believe that is in the Hilton family anymore (and not worth the cost in my opinion)

Cheers

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    Using miles for another person is no problem in any of those programs. 100K miles is pretty standard for bus. class to Europe, and you should consider yourself lucky to find something at that price using skymiles, even if it is not non-stop. With United you will see pretty good availability in bus. class for 100K miles, but probably with LX transfering in ZRH or with LH transfering in FRA (this is from NYC, not sure where you are departing from). If your dates are somewhat flexible, check aeroplan.com or ana.co.jp for using your United miles to find a non-stop.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have found a 100,000 mile award ticket on DL to Paris in BE with acceptable dates and connection times, grab it. This is as good as it gets for using DL miles.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can check the flyingblue website to see if there is something that delta.com is not seeing. Also, sometimes, checking the 'Non-stop flights only yields results which do not come up in normal searches. Another tip is: search for economy not business on delta.com, the business class seats at low level (if available) will pop up along with the economy class results.

For hotels do check out airbnb.com. you can get posh rooms in the Vendrome area.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Paris Hilton has not been a member of the Hilton chain for over four years in fact there are no HH properties in Central Paris the closet one being the La Defence property.

As far as SPG properties... based on your criteria I would stick with the Westin or the W ( the other option the Prince de Galles is under renovation until June 2013)
    Not sure how much "a zillion" SPG points are but two weeks in the above properties are going set you back between 250-400K points

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always suspected it would not be possible to get 'The Paris Hilton' with HHonors points ;)

circi, thegrailer and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote=" is an option as it is near the Eiffel and others will chime in here.

Here's a trip report that a member wrote about the Le Meridien if it helps with any decision making. More later.[/quote]

The Le Meridien in Montparnasse is also a great hotel. It is easy to get to most of the tourist sights from there and the neighborhood is great.

thegrailer and kyunbit like this.
  10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Years ago I had a backup reservation for the Paris Hilton for a distant date with a calendar alert. Normal boring day at work and message pops up "Call Paris Hilton." She was quite in the news at that time. What? Why? How? Stupid me. Hotel. Cancel.

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is enough to do in Montparnasse by itself for a few days. The cemetery, catacombs, Tour Montparnasse, and the food - oh the food :) . I was last there in Jan, just wandering around, and found some great Moroccan food - the merguez was outstanding.

And book the ticket before you lose it!!!

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Le Meridien in Montparnasse is also a great hotel. It is easy to get to most of the tourist sights from there and the neighborhood is great.[/quote]
    This hotel hasn't been part of spg for a couple of years now - I think it's now a Pullman hotel!

13. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Westin and it was great location to walk everywhere and close to the main metro line and fancy shops. The rooms are dark and mine was a bit small but you don't stay in room that much.

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is it so important to be within walking distance? Paris is a GREAT walking city, but also has a metro system that is cheap and easy to use (if she is willing the bus system is also great and cheap - just be sure to stamp your ticket on entry)

lili likes this.