Paris - SPG or IHG? cash & points option closer to tube station?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by kayjay, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    We family of 4 including 2 kids) would like to spend a week at Paris for week in mid July.
    At Paris, we would love to go see the attractions since this is my wife's first time (second time for me). Typically we would like to stay closer to any metro rail station and/or any city sight seeing open bus tour stop. Any recommendation either IHG or SPG properties. For July, I don't see any SPG property with cash & points options though. Should I wait? I don't want to pay 20000 points for each night with SPG when we are out of the hotel for more than 10 hours a day.
    I don't mind staying at a hotel little away from downtown (if I can use few points comparably) as long it is closer to a train station or city sight seeing bus stop.

2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both the Le Grand (IHG) and the Westin are within a couple blocks of each other and are both easily accessible to the metro.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Republique on a Hotwire stay and was pretty happy with it. Not the closest, but not far either. The rooms were on the small side, so maybe you should confirm you're getting a bigger room or reserve two of them for a family of four.

kayjay likes this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how flexible your dates are but the Westin Paris, Vendome is showing availability near the end of july (e.g. 22-28th). It's showing 8000pts + $150 USD a night for a hotel that is usually ~500USD a night.
    Seems like a pretty good value for a C+P redemption because it comes out to >4c/pt

kayjay likes this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recommendation in paris would be niether, but instead look at renting an apartment for the week. we did this last year with 3 adults and one child. we got a two bedroom apartment for the week for 800 euros, the benefit was a clothes washing machine, a kitchen with refrig for snacks and a lot more room for the time you are in the room most of the apt's come with wifi included. we found it from parisattitude.com. I know you cant use points but the cost is about the same as the co-pay on points and cash. and there are lots of apartments avaiable

6. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but I would not like to spend money in euros. I would use my points + USD given that USD is weeker against the Euros, that would be easily $1200 for 800 euros.

7. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw it in the map, but both of them don't show C+P option for july 19-26

8. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. CP is always a decent property, I hope they upgrade me as I am a Platinum with IHG. Is this property closer to subway?

9. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    How close is Vendome to the main attractions?

10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Walkable to Louvre, Orsay, Opera, Galleries Lafayette. Also, not too far from Champs Elysee depending on how much you like to walk - in Paris it is a wonderful city to walk a lot IMHO.

PointHoarder and kayjay like this.
  11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually prefered the Holiday Inn Notre-Dame for 25,000 points a night which costs you $150 to purchase if you are clever. It's a great property, a poor man's W, in a perfect location (a stone's throw from the St. Michel RER and Metro). Great vibe and very well reviewed on tripadvisor. I also stayed at the LeGrand which is very ornate and worth the 40,000 points per night. I'd look into getting an Ambassador membership for that place as the amenities more than pay for themselves, including, if you are so inclided, a free night with a one night stay

12. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just my 2 cents here...We are actually spending a week in Paris courtesy of Radisson and their 50k a night giveaway. We did 6 stays and netted over 320k Club Carlson points and are redeeming them at 300 euro a night Radisson Blu with a view of the Eiffel Tower. Total cost for those 6 stays were $210. The Radisson Blu's in Europe are very nice compared to their counterparts here in the US. That promo ends today.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? What does it matter what currency the price is in? Convert it back to your native currency...and if it is a good deal, do it. If it is not a good deal, then don't...but I don't see what your aversion to "spending money in Euros" is.

If you really don't want to spend Euros, be aware that most everything in France will be denominated in Euros. Not sure you could have a trip there without spending Euros.

Perhaps consider Paris, Texas? ;)

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was considering booking at Le Meridian - Paris, which is at the 1 train and the RER, for an "all points" trip later this winder.

kayjay likes this.
  15. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but what I meant was, I would rather spend Euros for all other expenses except hotel. We were in Italy 6 months back and I know how much the conversion is.

16. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I registered for this promo & I am eligible to receive 50000 points too, but I am staying tomorrow night at Radisson property for $80/night. At Paris Radisson, one night award redemption is 50000/night though. With 2 kids, I am not planning to do mattress run.

17. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this, makes lot of sense. Would definitely consider this. I can use the C+P option too.

18. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but with 2 kids we are planning to walk too much. We would definitely do city bus tour sight seeing tours to hop on & off at various attractions.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day, all that matters is the aggregate cost of your trip when converted into your native currency, right?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to any of these properties but looked extensively for a trip I planned to take (and didn't) and also thought that Holiday Inn-Notre Dame was the best combination of location and value. The others may be better hotels, but cost considerably more and I don't spend much time in hotels in Paris and know few travelers who do.

21. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you are not getting my point. My business stays gets me lots of points and I am happy to stay for free. So paying for hotel stays and that too in euros is not my way.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off-topic, but I suspect that's not going to earn you 50k points. From the T&Cs:

"The Qualifying Stay must begin on or after November 10, 2011 and be completed by December 30, 2011 ("Promotion Period")."

If you are checking in on the 30th, you're completing the stay on the 31st.

kayjay likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess C&P isn't exactly free (money-wise), which might explain the confusion here.

24. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    True but still u pay just USD 60.

25. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. Ooops. I will check in tonight then. It is a mattress run near my home and it is still the same price.