Paris- Le Grand Review /RA stay

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Andyandy, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I don't see a thread for Le Grand reviews (though there are a couple of individual reviews), I'll just leave this here.

IC Paris- Le Grand

Intercontinental Paris--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your Priority Club status?
    Plat RA (Mrs. Andyandy)

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
    Yes

Which rooms did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
    1 night paid- Virtuoso (opera View)/1night points (classic)/1 night PC Visa annual night (classic)
    Received Opera View Junior Suite all three nights (confirmed ahead of time via e-mail)

How are the Rooms?
    Junior Suite was roomy, but not huge. Three sets of french doors opening out onto the shallow balcony. Gorgeous view of the Palais Garnier facade.

How is the Club Lounge?
    Club lounge was nice. A bit hot on both floors, but opening window helped. Champagne (Feuillate) available all day. The food offerings were good, probably enough to eat every meal there if you had to. We had some very good pastries and desserts. Also, the staff there were excellent. Far better service than could be had downstairs.

What was your welcome gift?
    Cafe De La Paix purse hanger (15 E in the gift shop).

Did you receive fruit in the room?
    Lots.

How's the Minibar?
    Pretty good. Not the best, but decent white wine, 2x175ml champers, decent vodka, armagnac, beer/juice/water. Minibar was free for earned nights (not explicitely stated, but drinks taken weren't charged).

What was good/bad?
    Good:
    Extension of Upgrade to earned (they aren't "free") nights. Lounge access from Virtuoso night was also extended. Very nice chocolate cake for my birthday. Roissy bus pickup right outside the hotel is a definite plus for getting to CDG.

Bad:
    Chocolate cake was delivered last night of the stay. Birthday was first night of the stay. Concierge muffed our dinner reservations for the first night. Didn't seem particularly concerned when I mentioned it the next day. Lounge staff were appalled (more so than I though warranted) and sent a bottle of champagne and fruit (more fruit!) to our room that night. Be aware that the Opera View Rooms are definitely affected by Metro noise. The view was worth it for our first stay, but I'll probably pick the other side of the hotel next time.

Value / Will I return:
    Unless I have Hyatt status the next time I return, definitely.

P.S.: Oddly, all of the welcome materials, letter, etc. focuses on the Virtuoso Benefits, not RA. The hotel recognized us as RA, but the welcome materials didn't .

Lighthouse, DJP_707 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only stayed at the Le Grand twice. Both times I had Junior Suites, though the one I had the first time was in a different wing and faced the interior courtyard. Our last stay we had an Opera View Jr Suite. BOTH had serious metro rumbles. I'm not sure if there are rooms in this hotel that would not get that noise, just due to the fact that the hotel is sitting on top of a subway stop ?? But definitely, it was noticeable in both rooms.

Lighthouse likes this.
  3. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    On an upcoming trip I am very interested in staying with at the Le Grand or the Park Hyatt Vendome. I love the beauty of the Opera House but are the street and subway noise so significant to disrupt sleep and/or the quality of the stay? Thanks!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does take some getting used to. That said, after the first night, we really didn't notice it again.