Paris in February

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by somempire, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to take advantage of US Airways off peak miles award and travel to Paris in late February. Anyone know how the weather in Paris late in February or suggestion places to go that US Airways fly to?

Thanks

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was planning this very same trip but the wife vetoed the decision because late winter out there is the same as late winter in NYC: cold, occasional snow, very little sunshine. Check out weatherbase.com for specifics.

I was thinking of using 120k miles for two first class seats but instead spent 140k on two seats to hawaii.

You can try your luck with availability to FCO or MAD, just be aware that it's off-peak for a reason.

rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We took an impromptu Paris vacation once in January, thanks to a super-cheap fare and some expiring vouchers. People questioned our judgment, going there in that season, but I just reminded them that we live in Chicago- compared to January in Chicago, Paris weather was very easy to take. The city was quiet and relaxed, almost no tourists, no lines.

So, it all depends on your point of comparison.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my reasoning as well... coming from the NYC area, Paris/London and the like in January are actually quite tolerable, plus you can get around a lot easier and rates are relatively cheap because it's low season.

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny you should ask...see my signature below!

rwoman and airshadow like this.
  6. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took my parents to Paris in late January of this year, and it was about 50/50 - days with hats and gloves and days without. Of course, weather is weather and anything can happen, but we found the cool & crisp air to be nice. We also liked the bare trees - it allowed us to see things otherwise hidden. Our US Air flight had the envoy suites, which was nice. Well, for my parents, that is, since I could only score a total of 2 envoy award tickets. We got huge upgrades at the hotel, likely due to the off season. Our only real concern was weather in the US, but we were able to fly in/out of Charlotte to minimize those concerns.

rwoman, jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Paris during the off-season. There are very few tourists, and you can see the city in more of its normal state. In August, many of the actual Parisiennes leave for the country!

You should expect overcast skies on many days, and will need gloves and a scarf, but if that doesn't scare you, you will have a wonderful time.

You will find no/very short queues at any of the traditional tourist venues...but you should pick a district or two where there arent tourist locations and just turn up and stroll about. See the bakeries in the morning, coffee shops mid-day, and taverns in the evening. Watch the locals, and you will likely feel a bit like one after a few days. I find many aspects of day to day life so very civilized there. Make sure to vist ile-saint-louis while you are there, too.

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming from Minneapolis, that's my expectation as well. (I'm considering a similar trip).
    and that's all a big part of the appeal.

rwoman and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a tough one for me. I love Paris, but don't like the cold.

It will be between 35 F & 50 F in February so you would need a coat, gloves, and scarf, but at least you'll be in Paris without many of the other tourists!

10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do NOT like the cold (from Florida 90 and 90% humidity is just about perfect for me!), but I find Paris weather in the winter to be completely tolerable. I have to agree with NYBanker, I absolutely LOVE an empty Paris, so that more than makes up for the weather.

11. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL... coming from Minneapolis, Paris in January would be summer time for you. :)

Million Mile Secrets likes this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would expect -5 to 10C. So 23F to 50F.

It is not great, but it is not terrible either.

The cafes do a good job about having heaters and such to allow and outside meal/drink etc even if it is winter.

Have only been to paris in December/January/February myself and have seen nice and why bother weather on the same trip.

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done early April and it was fine. I would expect in late February that you just need a light coat like most people suggest. But then I've been living in Seattle. (I actually find London to be a great place to visit in the winter because it's cheaper and the weather is exactly the same as back home, so I'm not going from sun to rain, just rain to rain.)

15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're headed there in December. For the last five years or so, we've spent five nights in NYC in December. My thinking was a city is a city, we've only seen Paris in the summer, I have the miles, .......

Why not?!

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My rationale was slightly different. You can do some bargain hunting and find relatively cheap (or at least reasonable) tickets to Europe, or keep your eyes peeled for a decent sale.

But Envoy/First seats on US Air to Europe are usually $3k a piece or more, so it's a worthwhile return on 60k miles.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paris is beautiful in the snow but the roads tend to become a real mess and taxis can be impossible to find or call. If there's even a dusting, allow lots of extra time to go to the airport.

jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been there in the winter months many times.

Even if the temps are into the 30s or 40s F, it's a really raw cold there especially when the winds blow.

Dress appropriately and you'll be fine. But as the previous poster mentioned, a hint of snow and the city is paralyzed.

19. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it in 2003 in Feb. I was still able to eat outside for lunch everyday (they had portable heaters and most had some kind of enclosure). Only one day was really chilly with some rain. It was wonderful to avoid crowds at all the major attractions and I was going on a reduced award fare and got a great hotel rate so very worth it to me!

20. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I took advantage of the Iberia deal last year and flew to Paris this past February. The day we got there it was 62 degrees (but felt really warm because of the winter we had in the NYC area). It got colder as the week went on (down to about 40 on the last day), but I would recommend a nice jacket, gloves and a hat and you should be fine.

viguera likes this.
  21. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done Paris in Feb. It was great because there were no lines for much of anything, Walked into the Louvre and walked right up to the Mona Lisa. Maybe 20-30 people milling about in the room but a virtually empty museum.

I have also been to Paris in July. Now there is never a bad time to go to Paris, but Feb was better - and for that matter Dec and Jan too - are better times to visit. I don't have a problem with crowds, its just that I got to do and see so much more because there were no lines.

Cheers -

22. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    We went to Paris in mid-late March last year. Some warm, cooler but comfortable days. A couple of chilly days. My first trip had been in April with much warmer weather. But I felt March was fun, too and perfectly fine for a visit. In any case, weather was no worse than Ohio.

Obviously February will likely be cooler (though spring can be full of surprises) but I'd still do it. There is so much you can do indoors if it's inclement weather, too.

As someone mentioned, they're in off-peak season for a reason...but for me, it's often worth the tradeoff as I don't have a large travel budget or accrue miles as fast as some folks.

23. Kaiser
    Original Member

Kaiser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been to Paris in January, February & June and prefer Jan or Feb any day. Yes is it colder but I am from the Atlanta area where its hot all the time so I enjoy the cold. Id rather be cool with no lines than sweating with thousands of others waiting to see the sites. When I go back it will be during the winter...

24. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's funny you say that as a coworker's in-laws are Norwegian and that's why they love Phoenix... the change in scenery. For me, going in April for the lady's anniversary. Being from SoCal, I just hope I don't die from pneumonia.

viguera likes this.
  25. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to weather.com, the average temperatures in Paris in February are 34 (low) to 45 (high).

This got me interested, and later frightened, as I checked the averages for a trip I have planned for December (keeping in mind that I like to spend my time walking around cities):

Dusseldorf: 34 to 41
    Frankfurt: 29 to 37
    And the worst of the three: Prague 28 to 36.

Those are going to be two very cold weeks for me!

KathInJax and Freddie Listo like this.