Paris, France

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jgg630, Jul 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be traveling to Amsterdam this December and would like to travel to Paris one day. I am looking for a Marriott brand hotel in the center of things. Will be visiting Christmas markets, etc in Paris. Would like something close to train station and center of town. This will only include 1 night hotel in Paris.

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ? have you looked at Marriott's site? It is pretty clear about hotels and location.

3. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've looked but having not been to Paris not sure what leach hotel is close to and 1.3 miles from what?

4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many Christmas markets - I visited the champs élysées and la defense both on metro line 1 - am sure there is a marriott brand in la defense as it is a business center.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelling from Amsterdam by train you can either arrive in the city at one of two train stations, CDG or somewhat more conveniently Paris Nord But neither is close to the city center. From both stations you can take the RER into the heart of the city.
    Look at a map as to where you want to go and choose the appropriate property.
    The Opera, the Vendome and the Champs Elysees properties are close enough to where a first time visitor may want to stay and the Metro or just walking should get you just about anywhere you want/need to go.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying to Paris via CDG, the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche has the advantage of being several blocks from an RER station (suburban train lines) that requires no connections to/from CDG. The same station has several good subway lines but most tourist things aren't walkable from there. I think it's often cheaper than the right bank Marriots mentioned above.

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    personally I wouldn't goto Paris for just one day ...

8. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Friend is looking for somewhere to go during our trip to Amsterdam. This will be my 4th trip to Amsterdam so this sounds like a good idea to me. If not Paris, any other suggestions?

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take any opportunity to visit Paris, even for 1 day. The heart of Paris isn't all that large and there are easy trains from CDG into the historic part of the city. One of them takes you right to Notre Dame and just a block from the Latin Quarter over the Seine. Don't be discouraged by some of those saying no...there's so much to see in just 1 day, all very walkable and at Christmas no less! You will definitely want to return. Regarding Marriott Hotels I see four of them located in various arrondissements within the city center I mentioned. Go for it and give us a trip report when you return!

10. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Paris is definitely worth visiting even if you can only be there for one day. One of the beauties about Paris is that it is fairly easy to get around and there are RER stations everywhere. If you want to be in the heart of Paris and don't mind the cost or have a lot of points the Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador hotel, champs-elysee, and arc de triomphe will all be near the center of things.After walking around Paris I would recommend the Opera Ambassador Hotel because that area is very lovely, close to shopping, the louvre, and the champs elysee (I think it is a little less crowded then being right on the Champs-Elysee and it is a nicer area than around the arc de triomphe.

If you want a less expensive hotel that is a little more french there are many nice french hotels that are not chains located all over Paris. We stayed at the http://www.paris-hotel-stjacques.com/en/hotel Hotel St Jacques in the latin quarter and it was very close to the RER, has lovely bistros, and not as hectic as some other parts of Paris.

If you're going to be in Paris for only a day you should go to the Christmas market, the Eiffel tower, Notre-dame, and eat at a cafe/bistro (you must have a pastry or two!).

Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel

11. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.