Paris (11 years later) - transit questions

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Jan 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be nearly 11 years between visits (after years of semi-frequent visits) - a couple of transit questions:
    (1) What is the most efficient public transit method from CDG T1 to the Westin Paris Vendome (near M. Tuileries) Rue de Rivoli?
    (2) What are the Metro fare options? Multi ride? Multi day? (5 night stay)

Merci

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you're arriving in the morning. Take the RER B to Chatelet/Les Halles, take the long walk underground to Metro Line 1 (direction La Defense), get off at Tulieres. The ticket will be 8.60 Euros, and is good on the Metro Line 1 too. Pay attention to the departure signs at the airport, see if you can get on the Express.

Depending on what your five nights are, I'd look at getting the Navigo Decouverte pass, good for unlimited Metro rides. And because the French never make things easy.....
    - There is some confusion on who can buy the pass. Some of the Metro folks say it's only for residents. Not true. There is a "Navigo Decouverte" available for people like you.

- The Navigo pass is tricky in when you can use it. The weekly usage is from Monday through Sunday. In other words, if you want to use it from Thursday to Tuesday, you must purchase two separate weeks.

- The Navigo pass must have your picture on it. There are numerous photo booths around large Metro stations, for either four or five euros, you can get your picture taken. For simplicity sake, I went to Costco here at home and got a Passport picture taken. It's about the same price, and you don't have to worry about a machine malfunction. The passport picture is a little bigger than the little tourist photo booth, but I wouldn't worry.

- You must also write your name on the pass (I think it's even more important than the picture).

- Cost, I think, is 16 Euros for the week (within Zone 1, Paris)....and I think it's an additional 5 Euros for the card itself (one-time fee). If it fits your schedule, it's very worth it, if only to not fumble around for those annoying tickets.

If Navigo pass does not work for your schedule, buy a Carnet (10 metro tickets). It's available at the ticket machines or cash registers. Probably faster if you get it from a human. If you want to ask en Francais: Bonjour, je voudrais un carnet, s'il vous plait (I'd like one carnet, please). Carnets are not bound by any time constraints.

If you have to use the tickets, I have a clumsy system. I keep the unused ones in my front pocket, and the used one in my back pocket. Maybe it's the routes I have taken, but I have seen more fare enforcement in the past couple of years. And it's hard to see the stupid, barely legible, purple print on used tickets (just make sure to throw away old ones).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM.

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Actually arriving later afternoon - any change for the advice?

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a traffic standpoint, it does make a difference. It will be easier to get in to Paris from CDG via taxi. Personally, I'd still take the train, it's ~8.60 Euros vs ~60 Euros for a taxi in normal traffic. And you'll always be moving, whereas with the freeway, you never know.

The train cars may be a little more crowded, since the first or second stop after CDG on RER B (I forget the name) picks up a lot of commuters during rush hour. Mind you, the evening rush hour in Paris is usually 5pm to 8pm.

Metro Line 1 is always crowded from about 8am to 8pm, there's no getting around that.

Whether on the Metro or RER, I find the very first or very last cars to be a little relief from the crowds, but not a ton.

5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was in Paris for Thanksgiving - I used a shared shuttle which was $25 USD each way booked thru Viator -morning traffic 7:30 am took 2hours into city, leaving at 6:00 am Saturday only 20 mins to airport - the vendors were Paris Green Car and Paris Shuttle, both can be booked direct if not using Viator. I also saw ad for a city to airport shuttle bus if you don't do metro option. Btw -Westin good location and hotel have stayed there in past