Panic - Please help - Possible Stolen Passports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by PAinNY, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I booked a cruise for an elderly couple that I know. They were supposed to leave today from Port Canaveral. They flew in from NY on Tuesday and stayed in a hotel and he believes that they were taken out of his travel case. He does have family searching the home in NY to be sure he didn't leave them behind.
    I called NCL and they said he won't get on but should go to the port anyway and try to "beg" to get on. This is the least of his problems - if he loses the cruise - well - so be it.
    He is more concerned with the "Possible theft" of his passports. Where would I begin to report these for him if they are indeed stolen?
    Many thanks
    Pat

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I certainly hope the passports are safe but if they don't show up, here's the place to report them lost or stolen.

Best of luck to your friends!

Counsellor, Mikel, jbcarioca and 7 others like this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - his house is now being searched by a friend...he is at the Port "begging" as I type this.
    I feel so sorry for them.

4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they let him on and he finds his passport.

jbcarioca, Freddie Listo and PAinNY like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is a passport agency in Miami that will issue passports onsite. Unfortunately they are not open on the weekend. But at least they might be able to get passports Monday and then fly to catch up with the cruise.

From the website the following is the information:
    This Agency issues the US Passport Card on-site!
    Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
    Schedule An Appointment 24/7: 1-877-487-2778

Good luck.

Counsellor, Mikel, jbcarioca and 7 others like this.
  6. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they recall using their passports as identification when boarding their flight in NY? They may want to give a call to airports on both ends to see if they could have been left there.

7. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    deant makes a good point. I had a similar situation in Japan - lost my passport on the train the day before I was flying home! I immediately contacted the passport agency in Tokyo and they indicated that if I could arrive first thing in the morning, they could likely have a new passport ready for me by mid-day (this was of course a week day and they were open). It's good to know this is a possibility, though it won't help your travelers. All the best to you and them.

Mikel, jbcarioca, savydog and 2 others like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the US, you can also report a stolen passport by phone. However, if they cancel the passport and it's later found, you could still need to get a new passport, so be careful not to declare it "stolen" too quickly.

9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I know this is like closing the barn after the cow gets out, but one piece of advice I always give is to ALWAYS have your passport on your person..I usually keep mine in a front pocket...and have a photocopy of it as well.

I hope their passports do turn up and that they don't miss the whole cruise.

10. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. I just spoke with him and he is disappointed, he did not get on the cruise. His friend checked his home and the passport is not there. He did not use it for the flight from NY to MCO. The people at NCL went above and beyond for customer satisfaction. They offered him credit towards another cruise! When I called NCL earlier they said absolutely no refund. They also urged him to file a police report and he did.
    I asked him if he would like to join up at a later date and he feels "it's just not meant to be" so he declined.

All in all, an invaluable lesson about keeping your personal papers close at all times. He plans on coming to my home tomorrow so I can go over his papers. I will try to plan an interesting trip for him around Florida since he has a car here. Unfortunately, I have a house full of company, so I can't entertain him for the week.

I really appreciate all the help and advice..many thanks

Mikel, jbcarioca, savydog and 4 others like this.
  11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear the story didn't have a better ending.

12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds like he is taking it OK. With all that is going on around the world, you can understand why they would not let him on. NCL would have also had an issue at the various ports where the authorities would want to check passports. On the bright side, it could have turned out much worse. At least NCL is offering a cruise credit so he can go some other time.

Tell him the we all wish it had turned out better.

13. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - a very kind group.
    It actually worked out very well....considering. He is now on his way to my home so I can see his papers etc.

14. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all - and Choula - thanks so much. I was able to both report there stolen passports and apply for new ones online with the link you provided.

I will call on Monday to see if they were actually offered a free cruise - but whatever offer is given will be appreciated.

I appreciate the help everyone lent today - many thanks

Counsellor, Mikel, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  15. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they are already in Florida they can probably get an appt. at the Miami passport office for Monday. Maybe after they get them they can find another cruise leaving next week since there are so many cruises leaving from MIA/FTL.

Mikel, jbcarioca and PAinNY like this.
  16. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anng - that's a good idea however they are naturalized citizens and they need there papers to get new passports. Of course, they are sitting in some file in NY. Since it was reported stolen (and it was) they cannot just renew it ..they had to reapply.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's too bad. At least the weather is better than in NY and there are worse places to tour than Florida.
    Destin and the Dali Museum in St. Pete come to mind. I would also inform the hotel manager where they stayed of the situation. It's nice you are there to help them.

jbcarioca, PAinNY and savydog like this.
  18. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread has me wondering if it might be smart to get a passport book AND a passport card when we renew our trusty old passports this spring/summer. It will be so sad to say goodbye to our big fat passport books. :(

We do a lot of trips to Canada for coastal cruises and skiing so maybe it would be a good idea just to have a passport card to carry with us like a credit card and reserve our passports for real international travel.

Just a thought.

Counsellor, PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know a couple people who have done that. I have never lost a passport but I have misplaced them. The big hassle of dual citizenship is remembering which passport to use for what. My favorite Brazil Immigration quote (my translation)
    "Mr, jb, might I please have your other passport. This one seems not to be ours."

I have had a friend who lost his US passport while travelling in Yemen. The US Consulate issued a new passport in about two hours. He was naturalized US. I do not know what documents he had to prove US citizenship.

PAinNY likes this.
  20. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always exit NL on my (NL) passport, and re-enter on my national/EU creditcard-sized ID-card (always a fun moment with our border people, when I explain I'm lazy they understand it usually ;D). I carry both documents with me on travel, passport is safely locked away at home when I'm not travelling...

PAinNY likes this.
  21. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only would the ports have been a problem, getting back into the US would have been a problem.

PAinNY likes this.
  22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we were in Dublin a few years back, getting more pages added to our passports, we met a young girl whose purse, which held her passport, had been stolen in the park over the weekend. She was able to get a new one on the spot, but, of course, she had had to wait until the office opened on Monday.

IIRC, her Mother faxed ID documents to the Embassy.

PAinNY likes this.
  23. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe entry into your own country usually isn't the big problem (if you can have others get you supporting documents etc.), getting onto transportation towards that place usually is...

Airlines risk huge fines flying inadmissible people into say the USA, that's part of why they check and double check your eligibility to enter a country quite often.

PAinNY likes this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I plan to do that as soon as I have time. I usually have to strategize my passport renewals carefully; it's hard to find dates when I can be without it for some period of time.

When the passport cards first came out, I was told (several times, using the call back when you don't like the answer method) that if I were to apply for one using my passport as documentation rather than a birth certificate, my current passport would be cancelled. Now this doesn't seem to be the case any more but I'm still nervous about risking cancellation of my passport, which would be a huge hassle for me, although I guess I might be able to use either it or an old expired one to apply for a renewal.

PAinNY likes this.
  25. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's an interesting tidbit. The police told them if they had NEW licenses from NY - they could have had the "Enhanced Driver's License" which would give them entry to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The police told them that they thought there were currently 3 states doing this. I found it interesting as I haven't heard that before.

Mikel likes this.