Panama entry regulations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by smoothjaime, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm going to Ecuador and I found this deal on Priceline I have to lay over in Panama for 8 hrs. My question is can I leave the airport & check out Panama City while I'm in Panama

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizens traveling by air to and from Panama must present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport (or other original proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate with a government-issued photo ID). Complete information for American citizens is available on the Passport Information page at travel.state.gov or by calling 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on applying for a passport.
    Panamanian law requires that travelers present a passport valid for at least three months, and must either purchase a tourist card at the airport in Panama before clearing customs, or obtain a multiple entry visa from a Panamanian embassy or consulate before traveling to Panama. Further information may be obtained from the Embassy of Panama, 2862 McGill Terrace NW, Washington, DC 20009, tel. (202) 483-1407, or the Panamanian consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, San Juan or Tampa.
    As of August 26, 2008, U.S. tourists are allowed to stay in Panama for 90 days, without extension. If they want to stay longer, a “change of migratory status visa” should be requested through a Panamanian lawyer before the expiration of the 90 days in country. An initial fee of $250.00 must be paid for the “change of migratory status visa.” Please note that the approval of the change in migratory status falls under the Panamanian Immigration Office’s discretion.
    More information on visa types and the necessary steps to take in Panama is available at the National Migration website.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's plenty of time to get out and see stuff. Depending on your citizenship and residency there may be limitations but Panama is a pretty open and accepting country so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you've never been (and it sounds like you haven't) I'd highly recommend hiring a driver for the day to take you around. In an 8 hour layover you should be able to see the Miraflores locks of the canal, spend some time in the old city and still get back to the airport for the connecting flight. If you want a recommendation of a guy I've used a couple times (and who many others in this community have used) let me know.

If you want to see just how much can be accomplished in a short layover in Panama City read here or click on the photos below from my most recent trip last March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]