Panama City, Panama

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by marcwint55, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just returned from a quick weekend in Panama and it was fantastic. My review of the Radisson Decapolis is under the hotel section, and it was great.

We went to both visitor locks of the canal which was unbelievable to see and even more unbelievable to learn the fantastic history of the canal.

We took a three hour trip to Colon, which for the most part was a giant ghetto. The Washington Hotel was worth checking out, especially the inside of the lobby. The drive to Colon was beautiful and very lush.

There is a hill in Panama City that our guide took us to where you had a panoramic view of the city on one side and the canal on the other.

The old town (Casco Antigua) is a Unesco heritage sight and they are restoring the buildings and streets at a rapid pace. It is a must visit in Panama City.

Skip the Emerald Museum as it really is not a museum, just a place to buy emeralds at a less than bargain price.

The presidential palace was impressive and the views across the water were fantastic.

There is a double decker red bus that has day and night tours of the city. The night tour is highly recommended.

We ate chinese food at Lung Fund which was decent, although we missed the dim sum which is supposed to be fantastic.

The best meal we had was at Manolo Caricol. The restaurant is in the old town (Casco Antigua) and there is no menu. Every night is a tasting meal with several different courses included. The food is all from local farms and is organic, and the variety and taste of the different dishes was spectacular. As first time guests, they also let us pick one of our favorite courses for a second tasting. It was hard to pick, but we decided on the ceviche dish.

This was originally a mileage run for my wife with me tagging along, but it turned into a fun filled weekend.

If anyone needs a personal chauffer and guide for the area, please send me a pm and I will give you the name and number of Armando who was one of the best I have ever had He is fluent in English for those that do not understand Spanish.

2. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marc, have you any photos? More cowbell. :)

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm terrible with photos, but I will ask my wife as she took several.

sobore likes this.
  4. LuizzeOliveira

LuizzeOliveira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Panama is a capital city of biggest republic Panama where people can see number of beautiful beaches, restaurants, sightseeing and so many other. It's Canal Rainforests is most popular tourist attraction point.

OceanBreezes, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.