Paid One-Day Lounge Entry at Decent Airline Lounges?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Explore, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently signed up for the Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club at a very low introductory rate. The key benefit seems to be the ability to be fully reimbursed 12x per year for one-shot airline lounge entries. Now where can I exercise this privilege to its fullest? Not at most boring U.S. legacy carrier lounges. What does that leave? Can you even pay to enter most overseas lounges, or is the sole means of access status as a same-day premium class passenger or FF on that airline/alliance? How about VS lounges accessible by VX passengers, like at SFO? Do you need a ticket on VX, or can you pay? Etc., etc.

TheInternationalLine and gleff like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many foreign airports have contract lounges that sell single entries at the door. A prime example is SIN. However, as a general rule these lounges are not nearly as good as the prime lounges operated by foreign carriers for their own premium cabin passengers and elites nor as good as separate IFC lounges operated by some USA legacy carriers.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You wont have access to most carrier lounges since their restrictions for access are much higher than contract lounges. You usually have to be ticketed in a premium cabin, or be that airlines elite to be granted access to "the good stuff". Most contract lounges from my experience beat sitting at the gate with the sheeple. Just IMHO.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    i had also signed up for the Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club back in march, but then my Amex Platinum began to offer Priority Pass Select membership (free!) so at that point, just cancelled the Skyguide club since Priority Pass has at least the same access to the various contract lounges as well as even selected airline lounges.

5. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a HHonors Surpass card, I also received the Priority Pass Select card. However, all that does is provide a discount and you still pay $27 per visit. With Skyguide, up to 12 lounge visits per year, up to $50 each, are fully reimbursable.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As confusing as it may be, you have a different level of Priority Pass, the "Standard" level. The "Select" that you get with the plat amex is basically "Prestige" minus UA/CO lounges after this fall - free access for one, need to pay for a guest.