Paid-for seat selection another ‘rip off’ tactic

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.e-tid.com/paid-for-seat-selection-another-rip-off-tactic/38585/

Almost eight in ten people wouldn’t pay extra to reserve a seat on a budget airline.
    A new poll from Skyscanner, which follows easyJet’s trials of pre-paid allocated seating on various routes earlier this year, shows 79% were not interested in the concept.
    More than 500 people voted in the poll, with 32% claiming it was just another ‘rip off’ tactic; 28% said reserved seating should be a basic right on all flights; and 20% would rather travel with an airline that allowed them to choose a seat for free.
    Only 8% said they would be willing to cough up to reserve a seat; 12% said they’d consider it only if it cost less than £10 – £2 less than the current easyJet trial fee for reserving front row seats.
    easyJet is expected to make a decision later this year on whether to roll out pre-paid allocated seating on all of its flights.
    Various other airlines already offer the option to pre-book seats for a fee, with many charging extra for seats with more legroom.

Read More: http://www.e-tid.com/paid-for-seat-selection-another-rip-off-tactic/38585/

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basic right = ideal!:)

3. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm (sorta)happy shelling out a few extra bucks for an emergency exit row on a legacy carrier where the legroom and standing room is really worth the money. But mostly on low cost airlines it really just isn't worth the extra inch or so that they provide. Rather get to the airport 15 minutes earlier and ask for your preferred seat...

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't fly on a low cost carrier if I could avoid it. For legacy carriers, I have no problem paying to reserve a seat, and I don't get people who do. Airlines are businesses, they're not going to just give things away.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 or 2 hour flight - no problem - no need to pay for special seat, longer flights - tend to stick to carriers where I have status:)

sobore likes this.