Packing cubes: Love them? Hate them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lili, Jul 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    New carryon is just one big compartment (lightest one I could find: Hartmann studio h) so I'm thinking of Eagle Creek packing cubes.

Would like to hear from anyone who's used them and either quit bothering or wouldn't leave home without them. also interested in what size people find most useful.

Any and all advice appreciated.

jbcarioca, Gargoyle, Mapsmith and 2 others like this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never used those, but I have used different sized ebags packing cubes. I find they allow me to pack a good bit more into my suitcases. It seems to take longer to pack because I end up rolling all my clothes as well, but I believe it is worth it in the end.

3. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Eagle Creek packing cubes. I picked up a few of them on clearance from Nordstrom's Rack a while back so wasn't able to be too picky on sizes or colors. Looking back at their catalog I wouldn't mind upgrading my pack-it cubes to the 2-sided model (to separate clean and dirty). I use 2 of the cubes, one for socks and the other for underwear. I also use 2 Pack-It Folder 18s, one for pants and the other for shirts. Finally, the Tube Cube for wires, cables, chargers, etc. and the Wallaby for toiletries.

jbcarioca, snap and SensFan like this.
  4. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love 'em! Couldn't travel without 'em.

I use a variety of zippered and drawstring airline amenity kit bags for small things such as undergarments and electronics cords. For clothing, I used an Eagle Creek compression sac, but the plastic slider to zip the bag closed fell off. So, now I'm using these reusable heavy duty plastic things (from Big Lots) that look like big zip locks. Once everything is "contained", I pack my bag!

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOVE THEM!!! Don't leave home without them.

6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Snap, I was just at the Eagle Creek site and saw a review from Marty, a flight attendant, said they honor their warranty and he returned one he'd had for a long time and they sent a new one.

I use AA and UA amenity bags for most non-clothing items, and frequently roll my clothing. I'm looking at Eagle Creek because I like the design of Elevation and Morocco (and the warranty now tha tI know about it.) . When I travel light clothing slides around in my partially empty carryon.

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Packing cubes are great not only for packing and keeping things together, but also on arrival. A recent cruise had limited storage room. So I kept my packing cubes handy under the bed. also, had a two day pre-cruise stop with everything I needed in one large packing cube. Wish my wife would use them.

8. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cubes (Eagle Creek, eBags, whoever) are terrific especially for travel where one is in a different hotel every night or two. Unpacking and packing is a snap ... only a dozen things go into the big bag.

9. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my Eagle Creek. They came in handy for OZFest. I bought the double sided ones. One side of dry and clean and one for Dirty and wet. Just move from one side to the other until you get a chance to do laundry

lili, druiddation, snap and 1 other person like this.
  10. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love them as well. I have an assortment of them and they are great for all the reasons that everyone else has mentioned. The double sided ones are great for underwear and socks and the other ones work for everything else. I usually try to remember to bring at least one empty one along so that I can move the dirty laundry over into that as the trip progresses.

I've never had to take advantage of the warranty but from what I have heard Eagle Creek stands by their products. Their luggage has a lifetime warranty (not a limited lifetime as found on most other luggage).

11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use Eagle Creek cubes, eBags cubes, and some off-brand cubes from Target. I like having a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors.

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Picked up a bunch a few years ago thru a Credit Card flyer. Buy 3 for $6.95. Loved them so much, went out and bought several at Samsonite when they were closing their retail stores. Also bought a fairly large one from our locally owned Luggage Store since they send a lot of customers my way, so I figured for $20 I would buy something from their store.

jbcarioca and lili like this.
  13. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far nothing but positives! Thank you all. Nobody out there saying I couldn't stand it and threw them in the back of the closet?

Glad to hear about Nordie's Rack and other possibilities, because EC is not cheap and I can;t find an outlet store.

The folder thing for shirts and pants is $27.95+ but as someone mentioned is great for backpacks so that put it up two notches.

jbcarioca, CDKing and SC Flier like this.
  14. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey there lili. I have a rectangular one in which I can put all the underpants, bras, and socks needed for any trip, and enough additional space for two pashminas. It's divided so I fill one side, zip it closed, and flip it over and fill the other side. I have one for shirts with one of the folder deals, that I don't use so much, but it's good when I do use it. The only one that I got that I tend not to use is a very small one. I don't know what I was thinking when I got that one, but I guess it could be a good place to store extra camera batteries, sdcards, mobile phone . . .

If you haven't already thought of it, you might see what they have on ebags via a miles-earning web portal.

I love those Flip and Tumble bags that you recommended elsewhere. :)

jbcarioca and lili like this.
  15. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember when I first got them, I was actually thinking of returning them thinking oh these will never work like i want them to. Once my suitcase was packed my mind was made up that this is the way to go.

SC Flier, jbcarioca and lili like this.
  16. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love them too. I have all sizes, use the small one for my cigar stuff plus breath mints and sim card box. Double sided holds underwear and socks on one side and polo shirts on the other. Large one holds my pants and shirts if I need more. I too use the amenity kits to hold cell phone accessory's and cables.

lili and jbcarioca like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree with everyone so far that the cubes are great and very useful!​

To give a bit of a "negative" though, they aren't so useful for shorter trips. I only use them on trips where I need to maximize space, otherwise the time it takes to roll or fold everything into the cubes isn't worthwhile since I can just plop it the suitcase.​

18. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Lili, I also love them. I have both Eagle Creek and Rick Steves' brand. While the EC ones are a bit more rugged, the Rick Steves' are very light and you can get a 3 pack for $17.95. I like to have one set up for night needs - nightgown, ear plugs, eye glasses, contact case. Then that first night - everything I need to go to sleep is right there.

lili likes this.
  19. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cubes seem to be quite useful, however, if you are tight on weight or space in your bag, they don't seem to be practical. With the added space they take up, you could have fit more into your luggage. Also while they are lightweight, every ounce counts with some international carry-on weight restrictions.

For me these are always concerns, since my clothes are larger than most. If you generally don't stuff your bag, then the cubes seem like a great idea.

N965VJ, lili and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    These two comments have made me decide not to try them after all.
    I either have my bags stuffed because I am coming home and have everything from computers, cases of wine, fertilizer, gardening tools, clothing etc. in which case they seem unlikely to help or;
    I am using only a carryon which seems to have little problem anyway.

Hopefully I am judging your comments correctly because i was just about to buy some.

lili likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suppose so. 90% of my trips are 5 days or less and I travel with a carry on. I manage without the cubes just fine. When I take a longer trip, I use the cubes. It's easier to have all your tshirts in one cube, underwear in another, etc. I'm not sure about thrashsoundly's comments. I've found I actually get more clothes into my bags with the cubes than without. I roll my clothes so when I use the cubes, the zipper and compartment actually helps to compress the clothes further, squeezing the air out a bit. When I first used them I was on my way to India for 2 weeks. I bought them since they were on sale when I went to pick up water purification tablets and other items at REI. I repacked using the cubes and ended up getting more clothes in my bags.

With all things though, YMMV! :)

22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's a great idea and helps a lot, but I have to tell you, it didn't take long before I stopped using mine. My travel pattern is often like it was last week: Out early morning, one night away, back home, one night at home, out in the morning, back in the afternoon, one night home, then away after work for the weekend. So I have to pack 2-3 times a week

The last thing I want to do is spend more time packing and packing takes a lot more time using those cubes. Also, they add weight and space and besides organizing your suitcase, they don't do anything.

I have a zippered room for dirty clothes, the rest in the main area, the most effective in my book

N965VJ, lili and jbcarioca like this.
  23. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    The weight has been a concern for me and I have been removing a lot of stuff that was always in my bag ready to go. All those little things add up. I'm only interested in them if they will keep things from shifting around and organized so I don't have to keep rummaging through stuff to find what I need.

24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Then forget it. I'm telling you right now: I'm to lazy, it's too much effort that gives you very little in return

N965VJ and lili like this.
  25. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:

Looking more into the cubes, I think I might get some for my wife to help her pack. She hates packing. The organization will be useful, and I think it'll prevent her from over-packing.

In my case, all of my belongings are so oversized, the cubes just aren't that useful to me. DD may be able to cram and compress more items in a cube than if he were to roll and pack in a larger space, but for me, if only 3 compressed things fit into a cube, it doesn't serve as good of a purpose. It just made me laugh to see the ads with shoes in the cubes. I wear a size 18, so it feels like they take up half my carry-on already.

As DD says, YMMV and maybe in this case since I'm big, only MMMV.