Packing checklist - what's your preferred method of tracking this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by OverThereTooMuch, Sep 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw in some other threads that people have a printed & laminated checklist that they keep in their bags. Sounds like a great way to go, except I think I tweak my checklist too frequently to laminate it :)

For each trip, I'll start with the same basic list & then make minor tweaks to it (like making sure I have event tickets, or remembering to bring my Costco card).

I've tried tracking these both in Excel & Onenote. For each trip, I'll typically print out a new list. I find a little extra satisfaction/reassurance from actually checking off an item on the list. The OCD part of me requires that there be two columns for checking off...one when I pack the item, and another one later when I verify that I've packed the item :rolleyes:

So that's my little packing quirk. What do you use to help you remember what to bring on a trip?

2. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting old, forgetful and far too lazy to have a list to remind me what to pack. I keep a set of chargers for electronics, toiletries,undies and socks in my luggage at all times. If you travel often enough to seek out this forum, I strongly recommend you do the same.

Paolo Scuri and anabolism like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a travel set of chargers that I also always keep in my backpack all ready to go (along with extra memory cards, aux cables etc). The same goes for my liquids. I never take them out of my backpack.

As for keeping track and packing, I just have waaaay to many trips a year, to print something out every time would be a huge waste of time for me.

I typically pack the night before and it takes a couple of minutes. After so many years of traveling, packing is a something that I never think about, just do. I rarely forget anything

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually forget something, but I also travel way too much to make a list. It also depends on where I am going and for how long.

One thing I try to never forget is magic jack. That tiny little invention has saved me thousands of dollars in phone bills.
    I did forget it once in Antigua and fortunately I was able to buy another one there, so we now have two of them.

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to never really unpack, just wash the dirty clothes when I get home. When preparing for a new trip, I take everything out of the suitcase, refill the liquids, pack new clothes, add vitamins plus my own green and herb tea and breakfast cereal I like for the days I'll be gone (or mail them ahead), and off I go.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every trip is different so a template checklist is printed and number of various items filled in prior to printing (.xls spreadsheet template). Then on the road I simply check off as I leave a prop. It is great for me to ensure I do not forget anything before starting my journey or returning from a prop or props. It has been a life saver for me!

7. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried tracking and keeping lists, but I tend to pack by habit and instinct, which leaves the list unused. However, I do make a list of the special things I need for each trip so that those aren't left behind. I always keep a toiletry and medications kit packed, which saves some time and prevents a lot of angst over forgotten items.