Packing Advise

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by techauthor, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are traveling to China (PEK, to PVG, 4 cities en route) including a side trip to TIbet. Trip is in May, via Discovery Adventures (thus a guided trip).

We always seem to pack too much and wind up with a large duffel-bag suitcase each. We see others on our tours that can do 10 days out of a carry-on.

Your advice is solicited for packing much lighter. We have to deal with temps from near freezing to room temperature. We probably won't have washing facilities (hotel or even a laundromat).

We have no problem buying things now if highly recommended. We do have some fast-dry wicking tops, but that's all.

Ideas, anyone?

2. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long you staying for? I would start packing early, I think that might help a little - I find when I pack in the last minute I throw much more in there..
    Also shell-type jackets and pants (without heat insulation), which is made solely for protecting against wind, rain and other external wear, take up VERY little space and you can use them in any condition, you'd just change the layers underneath accordingly.
    Usually when I need to travel light without opportunity to do laundry I'll just throw underwear and inexpensive clothes away and buy new ones on the road, would think there'd be good opportunities for that in china, I won't carry much dirty laundry with me ('cept for my fav t-shirt maybe ;))
    A friend of mine uses compression packs - he says it's good stuff, but haven't tried them myself.
    Also, something to think about is when you're travelling no-one is going to notice if you wear the same clothes every day! So just leave the self-consciousness at home :) You can bring some travelling-laundry-soap to wash stuff in a sink if you get some time on the road to let it dry.

3. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second this advice. A shell jacket is a must, and I also rely on synthetics, as they are easy to clean in a bathroom sink. I pack old underwear so I can throw it out on the road (which has the side benefit of helping my "luggage storage" at home). Don't pack anything bulky-- sweaters, thick pants, etc.-- pack more thinner items so your wardrobe is more flexible; you can layer things together when need be.

4. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll be gone for 21 days. The tour is 14 plus 3 travel days, plus 4 in HKG at the beginning.

5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Packing for a multi-climate trip is always a challenge. In Tibet in May the weather is chilly at night even if the day is sunny. And most hotels in Tibet have no central heating. Bringing warm clothes is therefore a wise choice. If you can layer your outfits, you'll probably be most comfortable in Lhasa's May weather. I would recommend compression bags (available in many sizes at WalMart) so you can compress your sweater and jackets down to a packable slab since you won't be needing them in Hong Kong, where you'll probably experience weather in the 80's.

Sending clothes to hotel laundries in China is more economical than in most other countries-- which will allow you to pack fewer items. But before you send the clothes get confirmation of exactly when they plan to return your laundry to you. I have had to retrieve wet clothes (yes they often use clothes lines instead of dryers) from hotel laundries on more than one occasion in China.

One good thing about travel in China is that you won't need dressy clothes unless you're planning on doing business, which it sounds like you are not. You'll only need dress clothes in HK if you plan on going to some of its best restaurants.

Hope this is helpful. Have a good trip!

6. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dressy means a shirt with a collar and long pants for men and other than a tanktop for women.

We just got back from SA where temperatures varried from low 40's to over 100. I took one pair of long underwear, a couple of long sleeve tees, several short sleeve tees, three pair of dry over night underwear, three shirts with collars and two pair of comfortable shoes. Did not fit in my carry-on but did in a carry on plus 24" case.

When I saw I had extra room I added throw away underwear and two regular shirts. I wore a lined leather jacket but it was more than I needeed.

The nice thing about the checked bag is you don't have to worry about liquids. My wife packed the same way. We thought about one 26" bag and two 22" bags but went with one 22' bag, two 24" bags and two small bags that together equalled another 22" bag.

In China, every airplane boarding is a mob scene and the overhead space is limited. We were glad that we did not have to fight for overhead space with two 22" bags.