Packed planes, older fliers spur long lavatory lines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/experts/...r-fliers-spur-long-lavatory-lines-/46989338/1

It's a familiar moment for most fliers: You finally decide to disturb your seatmates to head for the lavatory, head down the aisle — and discover nearly a dozen passengers in line in front of you. That's about the time you begin to regret all the coffee, soda or beer you ingested at 35,000 feet.
    With routinely packed flights —not to mention an aging baby-boomer population that may have to go more often — finding an unoccupied lavatory in the sky becomes more challenging every day. Certainly all travelers would prefer flights with fewer people vying for more lavatories, but how is a prospective passenger to know?

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one more reason to book J class on long haul flights. ;)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one more reason why FAs should enforce the "use the lavs for your cabin" rules.

jbcarioca, KENNECTED, savydog and 4 others like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is also why you should never try to go right after the movie ends :D

jbcarioca, KENNECTED, savydog and 2 others like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)Made that mistake only to encounter a "loo lounger" who beat me to the "golden closet" by a few steps.
    Now I make my move when I sense the closing credits coming. ;)

jbcarioca, savydog, BurBunny and 4 others like this.
  6. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I wear Depends...:p

7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long do you all feel is appropriate to spend in the lav? On a full plane is it okay to change, brush teeth, wash face, apply makeup, etc? Do the rules change when the flight is empty, half full, totally full?

Everyone wants to freshen up on a long-haul, I just want to get a feeling of what other FF think is "okay."

Thanks!

jbcarioca, savydog and Jubileesmom like this.
  8. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha "loo loungers".. I like it!
    I find the worst are flights to/from japan, I think it must be because the Japanese have so many gadgets on their "porcelain thrones" back home that they have become a nation of loo loungers ;)

9. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume USA Today has its usual detailed backup support for their claim it is older passengers, not just more crowded planes, that is causing the problem. Yeah, as if!

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes it amazes me how long peeps spend in the loo on flights. Actually even on the ground I can't work out what women get up to in the stall that takes so long. You know it's get in pants down, do your biz, clean up on aisle 7, pants up and out. How some women take 10 minutes to accomplish the above I don't know.

11. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Un, there is a time of month when some other functions are involved and you would be surprised how long it can take to open the plastic of some tampon packages. Also, pants down can take a little while depending on how complex the clothing you are wearing is. I have, for example, a skort that involves undoing some buttons to get at the zipper.

I see just as many men who take forever.

jbcarioca, savydog and Jubileesmom like this.
  12. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ummm... hello...men take the entire newspaper in the loo with them and aren't out until they've read every meaningless score of every meaningless game reported around the country!

But in women's defense, they take the time to wash their hands before they leave. :D

jbcarioca, savydog, ctporter and 3 others like this.
  13. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rofl this is a hilarious thread! On the topic, I do freshen up on transpacs which for me is quick shave, brush teeth, wash face, use bathroom, wash hands. I only do this if no line. I usually am in J, like 95% of the time so loo lines are not so bad.

As for on the ground, I would guess anytime of the month women are faster than men. Generally b/c as mentioned before, we tend to take the sports page in with us...not a fast plan.

14. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I wish they had segregated loos on flights as men seem to struggle even more to get their aim straight.

The scary thing about the going on the plane is it makes it obvious some people must be absolute pigs at home if they are willing to leave the mess they do in public.

Thinking about it, maybe women do take longer because we clean the damn place before we leave. I hate the pigs that leave water in the sink, I always wipe down the benches. How hard is it to actually flush???

TG my next flight is in First Class. In the past, when travelling in the lesser classes I have made a point of getting up and making a pit stop regularly so I don't end up in the situation of peeing my pants because someone is taking forever to get the job done.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought you wore those for the "enhanced pat-downs". :D

16. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do and I change them v-e-r-y infrequently...

17. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brush teeth in an airplane lav? Euwwwwwwiee. Hope one takes their own water. lol.

jbcarioca, savydog and jmrich1432 like this.
  18. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm usually a very fast loo user:D That is, when I use it. Have a bladder that seems to hold for a long while. Of course, when I actually can't seem to wait any longer; darned if that isn't the time they MUST throw on the seatbelt sign :rolleyes: and then, bumpity, bumpity bump. Umm, the bladder is no longer a happy camper:p

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  19. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    just be sure to NOT have an aptiva yogurt before a long flight..... :p

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  20. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    They also failed to mention anything about the "Crapper Reduced Jets" (aka CRJ) which are becoming more prevalent as time goes by.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! That bean burrito will all the fixins may not be a Nobel prize winning idea either.:D

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is true. IME the worst offenders are:

1) Flight crew- seems captains always leave an ungodly mess and never ever clean the basin. their aim is horrible too for 98% of them. That applies especially to Us and DL but nobody disciplines those slobs;
    2) Cabin Crew- on US flag airlines mostly. On several Asian ones the cabin crew clean up after the slobs and loo loungers;
    3) Several specific categories of men (I do not want to make more detailed comments).

I do recall flying NCE-JFK years ago with Gregory Peck in the cabin. Somebody, the flying Captain actually, had left the F loo a horrible mess when he went in. He calmly exited the loo, retrieved cleaning materials and began to clean it himself with the door open. The horrified FA did take over from him. Odd, in more than twenty years of flights with her in the cabin she never did that for me. I encountered her on a recent DL GIG-ATL flight, now quite ancient herself, and reminded her of the episode. She remembered.

Jslo and ctporter like this.
  23. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a flight recently where I was UD Biz from NRT and honestly I was better off in the loo than in my seat. There were several "baby boomers" seated around me so I could not tell who it was but man...get to the loo before you start bleeding your breaks in the cabin!

24. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    plus all the aging baby boomers doing squat thrusts in the aisles trying to prevent dvt......

Horse likes this.
  25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since we are on the subject of the lavs on planes, I have always wondered how anyone, man or woman could actually go in and sit on the toilet. To me that is most disgusting and I would never do it and IMO anyone that considers hygiene . There are ways of going without having to actually sit on the toilet. But I guess most people hygiene is just a word and I guess most don't really practice it.

TimeZoneCST and Bob Smolinsky like this.