Pacific Surfliner Business Class SMI-SAN

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by Golfingboy, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am booked to travel in Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner tomorrow night from Simi Valley [the night train does not stop in MPK :mad:] to San Diego... I am not expecting much since the ticket was only $16 more, but I thought it does not hurt to check it out considering it is a four hour trip...

What extra "service perks" can I expect? Free drinks? How comfortable are the seats, particularly for napping? Bonus points or just 100 points [ticket was $48]?

2. `X'
    Original Member

`X' Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took this back in 09 from Anaheim to San Diego. The only thing that came in free on the return (evening service) was a small snack pack and a Wine/Soft Drink.

Morning train got free coffee/juice/muffin/danish

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'll grab some In-N-Out burgers and bring with me onboard since this ride is 4 hours and everything will be closed in SAN upon arrival... I am arriving at 12:50am :eek:

4. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd running into you over here. :)

Business on the Surfliner is a reserved seat and a single free beverage. The seats are not a huge upgrade from coach. Travelling that late on a weekday it seems likely you could get a row to yourself and sleep. Don;t expect much and remember what you paid, ther biggest perk will be a car attendant so you can nap with minimal chance of your bags disappearing. As to points you are correct just the standard 100 and the double points bonus if you registered for it (not too late).

bakedpatato likes this.
  5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a small world, my friend :D

Registered for the promo, gotta reap in as many points as we can! :D

Sounds good, guess this trek is not worthy of a trip report :p

6. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You think it would be worth it to use AGR points to upgrade to Business on a holiday weekend? Need to book SAN-SBA for Memorial Day Saturday.

7. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no upgrade option on the Surfliner, you either redeem for coach (1000) or business (1500) points. I am not familiar with holiday demand but with a trip that long I would splurge. :)

8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perfect, I'm taking SAN-OXN(oxnard) in May...nice to hear I can take a nap and be happy.

9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I meant by "upgrade" is to use 1500 points for business instead of 1000 for coach, so your answer is what I was looking for. Thanks!