Resolved P2 and Hyatt gift card fine print

Discussion in 'Premium Membership' started by delff128, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted this over on the P2 thread, but it seems like such an important caveat that I wanted to start a new thread incase people have stopped following the P2 thread, or for that matter, don't follow it at all.

iolaire likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My understanding, and someone else please feel free to correct me, is that the mere purchase or redemption of gift cards does not earn points -- but that using a gift card to pay for otherwise points-eligible activity does not invalidate points earning for that activity.

Put another way, whenever I have used a gift card to pay a folio I have still earned points. E.g. I stay at hotel X, have room charges and maybe F&B charges, I use a gift card essentially in lieu of a credit card to settle the bill, I still get points.

Has anyone had a different experience than that?

B1BomberVB likes this.
  3. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per the Hyatt website:

"Do I receive Hyatt Gold Passport points when I redeem Hyatt Certificates and Gift Cards?

No. The purchase or redemption of Hyatt Certificates and Gift Cards are NOT eligible for Hyatt Gold Passport point earnings or stay credits at this time."

I read this as no points will be awarded when using a gift card period. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm wondering whether anyone has ever not gotten Gold Passport points when using a gift card to pay their folio on a points-eligible stay? I always have, and believe this is just treated as the method of payment just like using a credit card would. As I say I would love to hear any contrary experiences.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    When Costco carried Hyatt "paper" gift certificates with more restrictive terms than the gift cards, I purchased and redeemed a VERY large amount of them over the course of a year and received points and stay credits for all of them.

I know Randy is working on getting clarification for this point.

delff128 likes this.
  6. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the data point and update. It would appear that Hyatt either needs to update their policy and or website regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. freddiemcdog

freddiemcdog Active Member

Status Points:
    I asked Hyatt about this over Twitter, and here's what they said:

@HyattPR Will I get points & credit towards elite status if I pay for my stay using a Hyatt gift card? (gift card, not stay cert)

Hyatt Concierge ‏@HyattConcierge14 Oct
    You will still earn Hyatt Gold Passport points and stay credit as long as your reservation is booked at an eligible rate.

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    IF you'll check our Master Q/A, we are on record with Hyatt's blessing to state what will happen when you purchase gift cards with your hyatt credit card through the Premium Membership program as well as the fact that you will earn HGP points when redeeming those gift cards. Hyatt has worked great with us to provide this guarantee vs. what their T&C may be on the actual Hyatt website. THank you. MASTER Q/A IS HERE.

Madinat, B1BomberVB and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you tell us when Hyatt gc purchases via MP2 are going to be processed? Ordered quite a few, but no sign of the charge or cards yet. Need for Thanksgiving and for a min. spend.

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Easy answer—processed this morning, cards go out this afternoon. FedEx Saver is their 3-business day service so maybe by Friday (this week) to receive. Future orders are processed daily.

Trivia: First member order processed was $1,000 gift card. Savings at Hyatt (minus the $6 processing fee) will be $94. Not a bad way to enjoy the benefits of Premium Membership.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy,

I ordered last week and never received a confirmation e-mail. Do you know if the order was processed or is there a thread/point person to contact regarding this? (Sorry to post in multiple threads -- please feel free to delete my other posting...) and Thanks!

12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Gift card orders are processed daily and delivered by way of the time table listed in this FAQ. In essence gift cards are delivered three business days after you place your order if before 11 am MT on a business day. Monday morning orders by that same weeks' end—again, three business days following the day of your order on a business day morning. To date more than $100K in Hyatt Gift Cards have been ordered and delivered with success and without a single problem and our goal is to continue that streak. We do not mail a confirmation email. We place our orders in a closed system from a partner portal and the confirmation is sterilized to a tracking number for the partner portal which would not be of any use to a specific member. We continue to work with Hyatt on new systems to make this work even better (confirmation emails was always part of the overall member experience we had planned) but are pleased that the system-in-place to make this benefit available now does work. This is a one-off program that Hyatt has been just a pleasure to work with and it's the results that so far say it is of value to Premium Membership members.