p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

It’s been a while since we first announced the improvements we’re making to our p.s. Premium Service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and today I have an update for you.

First, a recap of some of the key features of our refreshed p.s. product:
    • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
    • 48 seats in Economy Plus with even more legroom than before (36 inches)
    • 66 seats in United Economy
    • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment
    • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
    • Gogo Wi-Fi (and coming later this year: connection speeds up to 3x faster)
    This first aircraft to be reconfigured is already in modification and will take to the skies by March. Over the subsequent 8-9 months we will complete the transition, but during this period, there will be a mix of B757 aircraft flying on these routes. Since the configurations are very different, we will be taking some steps to ease us through the transition and minimize the impact of aircraft changes. Here are some of the highlights:
    • All p.s. flights will operate as 2-cabin regardless of actual configuration starting on Jun. 6. By the summer, we expect to have already reconfigured several B757 aircraft. However, in order to minimize the impact of unexpected substitutions, we will only sell p.s. flights as 2-cabin. We will update our systems this weekend to reflect this change.

• Wondering about who gets to sit in those first three rows in the previous United First cabin? We’re reserving these seats for customers who had previously booked in United First, as well as Premier members who are already confirmed in United Business. Specifically, Global Services, Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold members can select one of these seats at any time if available, and Premier Silver members will have access to them at check-in. Note that during the transition, these seats will be branded as United Business, rather than United First. Nearer to the end of the reconfiguration process, we’ll start marketing the premium cabin on all aircraft as United BusinessFirst.

• How to tell if you’re on a newly configured aircraft. The best way to know is to look at the seat map on united.com, which would show 28 seats in United Business. However, keep in mind this is always subject to change. Also worth noting, seat maps will generally reflect the older configuration until a few months before departure, when we start to have a better idea of what kind of aircraft will be scheduled for a specific flight.

• The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open after June 6, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. We’ll share more information about the future of our lounges at JFK later this year.

• Upgrade policies are the same. You can still request an upgrade on p.s. using RPUs, GPUs and award miles. And, we continue to waive the co-pay for Premier members requesting MileagePlus Upgrade Awards.
    We’ll publish more details on the transition in an article on the United Hub in the coming days. As always, thanks for your feedback, and please “pardon our dust” while we work to give you a refreshed p.s. experience.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

jonbrett, bmg42000, Scottrick and 9 others like this.
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update!

Cool. This is sort of an academic question, but will this lounge admit passengers who are in international First on other Star Alliance carriers ex-JFK?

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mherdeg - Other than US Airways and Air Canada (which fly "domestic" flights - no other star alliance carriers fly from Terminal 7. Most of the international Star Alliance carriers use terminal 4.

UA Insider - What do you mean by customers who previously booked United First? Customers who were booked on that flight in United First before the removal of availability, or customers that flew United First in the past. If it is the latter, how will you identify these passengers? By Mileage Plus numbers? What if they credited to other airlines?

4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume the former (i.e. customers already booked into United First on that flight).

I think this is a great way to assign seats...and to minimize being "bumped out" of your seat during an equipment change (and from overselling the BF cabin, presumably). Good, proactive solution. Looking forward to flying on one of these soon!

5. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me - now I might actually get to try ps First before it gets phased out!

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA F = SQ J from 6 years ago, minus the television. :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS seat is angled lay flat. And meal is similar to that served in J. I would rather have the new J seats than the old F seat. But YMMV.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, kool! The system update has already happened and It looks like, as one of two passengers so far, I have automatically been moved from seat 9D in Business, which I had selected and now no longer exists, to one of those coveted first row seats in the previous United First, both on the outbound and the inbound (shown below) p.s. flights. Ladies and gents, the new p.s. configuration:

P.S-NEW.png

8MiHi likes this.
  9. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Aaron. Everything seems very reasonable. Except having to deal with the Van Wyck. That's never reasonable.

Curious if there's any plans to update the premium cabin breakfast catering on these flights. I think it's been "eggs," french toast, or cereal for the better part of 5 years. I try and avoid McDonalds and outside that, there's really limited options in JFKs T7 to grab a bite to eat (on the secure side) for breakfast.

emwitty, rggale and 8MiHi like this.
  10. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree - I'm just curious more than anything. Have sat in old ps J and new ps J many times before.

11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't need eggs, I do like the united club breakfast. Much better than the snack offerings later in the day. Cereal, Bagels, Yogurt, Fruit.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would appear that you're on one of the new configs, not the old config being sold as a 2-cabin plane. You're in BF, not F. The first row should have the better foot well space but otherwise be the same as all the other BF seats.

To UA Insider, are the passengers who previously paid for F and are now receiving C being refunded the fare difference?

8MiHi likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite right and that is consistent with what the seat map showed. The only question is whether that is the actual or simply a 'stylized' seat map of the new configuration...

14. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want first class :(.

druiddation likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

What about it makes you think it is not the real seat map? Everything matches the layout as the descriptions would suggest it would.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was simply a supposition as two-cabin configurations can vary...(see: seatguru.com for variants).

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is only one 2-cabin p.s. layout and that map is what it is.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    So be it.

19. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are images of the seat maps for the old 757 config sold as a 3-class and a 2-class. I have flights in March and May that are in the 3-class category, and 1 flight in November that is in the 2-class category. I used to have one that was in the new config (as posted above), but that disappeared this weekend.

Old 757.JPG

Interim 757.JPG

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This goes to the point that I was trying to make regarding what will ultimately be the two-cabin config for the reconfigured p.s. First, it is strange that the supposedly new two-cabin config that I posted above appeared for me this weekend to replace the old 3-cabin p.s. configuration that was there, while it disappeared for you. Second the two 2-cabin configs are clearly different, with one having 7 rows in Business and the other 11...

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The 11 row config is the old 3-cabin planes, being marketed as 2-cabin. The 7-row config is the new 2-cabin plane. There is only one actual 2-cabin config. The other is the 3-cabin plane being sold as 2-cabin.

As for the config moving around on you, they don't have enough of the planes yet for it to be everywhere and they keep moving them around in the schedule.

22. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen sCO 752s show up on ps route seat maps during the conversion period. Not sure if there's still a plan to utilize them but that would be a different option as well (4 rows of flat bed, E+, and E)

genemk2 likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they have shown up in the past. Hard to claim they are a "p.s. config" plane, but they have been on the routes every now and then.

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that we should just wait and see, instead of making these absolute pronouncements about something that has not yet happened. All we know is this, from UA Insider's original post:
    Seems quite clear to me that there is flexibility to use different configurations, which may be one of four or so 2-cabin 757 configs in the UA/CO fleet...

I should add that is quite likely that the prevalent p.s. will use the configuration whose seat map I posted earlier and declared as the new p.s. configuration...we just need to wait and see.

25. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a big disappointment. Having to sit in normal Y on a p.s. flight when expecting an all Y+ config in the coach cabin.