p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jun 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing the transition of our transcontinental p.s. premium service from JFK to EWR, for flights to SFO and LAX, beginning October 25. When we transition p.s. operations to EWR, we will cease operations at JFK.

The launch of p.s. at EWR will bring an upgraded airport product to p.s. customers, and coincides with investments already in progress at SFO and LAX. Customers flying out of EWR will have access to near-hourly transcontinental service, with the most flat-bed seats in the New York-SFO/LAX combined market. In addition to the p.s. aircraft we are moving from JFK to EWR, we will also reposition some of our flatbed-equipped 757s from trans-Atlantic routes to transcontinental routes in order to maintain or grow our existing EWR frequency levels. When we have completed this schedule adjustment, all of our flights from EWR to LAX and SFO will feature flat-bed seats.

Read more about the p.s. transition in our press release. If you are already booked on a p.s. flight departing after October 25, we will be rebooking you on one of our Newark-based p.s. flights. This change will happen the weekend of June 19. Once the change is processed, if the schedule or route doesn’t work for you, please contact us for other options.

-UA Insider

Garp74, rggale, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  2. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally glad to see ps at EWR!

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is good news, I think. Will miss the ease of getting to JFK, but it was always weird that JFK got P.S. but EWR got domestic first.

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope there is some thought given to CPUs on these flights or at least some non-ps flights.

Flyer1976 and mht_flyer like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a head-scratching move...

I get it that EWR is a UA hub while JFK is not but JFK is JFK!!!

I guess my upgraded p.s. flight to SFO in a couple of days will be my last because there is no way I am going all the way to EWR just so that I can fly on a p.s. flight, when LGA is just 15 min away and JFK just 30 min...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    tommy777 likes this.
  6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anything I thought they w:)uld add p.s. at EWR, not just remove JFK. Then again this is pretty much all that was left of UA at JFK.

I think they'll lose a bunch of pax due to this ... perhaps the same number as they gain from it.

8MiHi and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not provide p.s. both out of JFK and EWR?

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cost?

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much more? There is a p.s. like every hour or two now. Why not split'em 50:50 between JFK and EWR?

10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA apparently sees more profit in offering higher frequency from EWR while relying more on connecting traffic. Time will tell for them, but this is disappointing for many.

edekba likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you answered your own question. UA barely had any presence at JFK, and I think from an operational standpoint having connecting flights at a HUB is a far better financial/convenient situation than just O/D at JFK.

Xyzzy likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because in order to have a competitive schedule at JFK, you'd need more p.s. planes to run a full schedule at EWR as well. That means spending money outfitting planes, in a market where lots of seats are being added by B6.

Along with not having to compete with AA/B6/DL for JFK transcon premium pax. I would guess B6's entry into the market combined with VX's earlier entrance is making this feasible.

That being said, DL, B6 and AA must be popping champagne corks... especially DL, they give up EWR slots for JFK ones.

emwitty, Flyer1976 and Xyzzy like this.
  13. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that at EWR they have almost no n:eek:n-stop transcon competition. At JFK they have quite a bit.

14. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this will change the revenue management model and force them to price LAX and SFO out of EWR as a true transcon and consider those services out of JFK as actual competition.

15. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly; however, it's not hard to imagine JFK developing as many competitors due to greater demand there. But of course this is outsider speculation without any numbers.

16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    @UA Insider Praises be to the d.r.S.L. for this miracle! United is keeping the bar high on cross-country flying.

bmg42000 likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what's the number of seats pre and post change in the SFO/LAX -> NYC market on UA?

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    image.jpg Well this stinks for CPUs. Guess they are gone on these routes in October :-(

19. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Methinks this change is designed t;) avoid doing just that.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My answer to my own question was that "JFK is JFK!", y'now...'Camelot' ;)

I hope UA would still offer flights between JFK and LAX/SFO. Short of that, I will be able to say that UA literally left me -- I did not leave them -- when I do drop them after making 1MM. As an intl traveler who does a lot of TPACs, I liked it that I could do JFK - LAX/SFO and then destination (PVG, SYD, NRT). With JFK effectively out, I'd have too many more stops to justify sticking with UA.

mht_flyer likes this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems quite likely that they'll still offer a less frequent non-p.s. JFK-LAX/SFO service, so that this move may turn out not to be that upsetting after all...

22. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They said they are ceasing operations at JFK, you think they will change their minds?

23. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    With what slots? UA is doing a slot swap with DL; UA gets EWR slots from DL, DL gets the p.s. slots.

8MiHi likes this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, I just saw the part about the swap...I simply previously saw that "regular" service would continue and assumed...wrongly!

mht_flyer likes this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll redeploy some of the CRJ200s to JFK and offer h.s. service to OAK and ONT. h.s. stands for hopscotch and will be operated by Mesa.

flyforawg, ella, skyvan and 5 others like this.