Oysterbooks, the Netflix for books app

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by dstober, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this https://www.oysterbooks.com/about came across my screen and I signed up for the one month free trial. As a FF and avid reader who got tired of lugging books, adopted Kindle (I still have one of the first ones sitting around somewhere), and moved to Kindle for iPad, I spend a fair chunk of change on books on Amazon. And since I prefer to limit how many devices I carry around, the Kindle Lending Library isn't so much of a deal (since I stick with my iPad for a number of reasons).
    Has anyone else tried the Oysterbooks app?
    I will post my thoughts as I give it a whirl for a month.

Newscience, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I became aware of it when it was in Beta and got and invite but never signed up. I'm a library person who at the time was readying books so I could not justify the cost. Since then I received a Kindle and still find that the library does just fine to keep me reading 4+ books per week.

To utilize the library and my Kindle I do have to be proactive about putting books on hold and requesting new books. Since I read so much I have to spend about an hour each weekend setting up my holds, returning read books, and rating/managing them on GoodReads.com. But I'd guess if I was buying or renting four books per week I'd need to do just as much work. I also like GoodReads because I can keep lists of my holds, read, to-read, etc. and create a direct link to that book on the Arlington Library eBook site...

3. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this called the library?

dstober likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolare, Thanks for your posting about GoodReads! A friend invited me to sign up for GoodReads, and then proceeded to recommend every book that he'd ever read! Needless to say, I've not paid much attention to GoodReads since. But, if it can also be used for "book tracking", that's a worthwhile consideration.
    Newscience

dstober and iolaire like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes good for book tracking, with apps with bar code scanners and the like, also has customizable links to almost all book stores, or book related websites. Those help a lot when you have wish lists. I setup links to my library and then wrote a bookmarklet to link from my library back incase I pick books from the library site. That all makes it easier and hopefully helps me from picking out the same book more than once. I read this week that amazon now owns them, but as amazon does they just let the good site keep running as-is.

So to summarize I use the lists, links back to the library and book recomindations from my lists. I could care less about the social component and other peoples reviews.

dstober and Newscience like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please do report back once you give it a go. One concern I had is the had books from only publisher (the could have changed), so I worried the selection would be limited.

dstober likes this.
  7. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good to hear your thoughts and ways of using various tools, iolaire. From poking around Oysterbooks last night, there are a decent number of titles (they advertise over 200K on their website), so it seems they have expanded. There are quite a few more than my library has for e-books and no waits.
    I'm reading a book now and the app is pretty good. Takes a little getting used to (it's a swipe down rather than a turn the page by tapping on the side of the screen) and I haven't found a way to change the background or font color. But so far, so good. I haven't spent much time as yet figuring out the capabilities of the library (can you track what you've read like in Kindle?).
    At the moment, it seems like a decent compromise between Kindle's range of titles and ability to see your library but $ and the library's more limited range and need for tracking but free. Of course, YMMV.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    No there is nothing stopping you from re-checking out the same book or having to look at a book you read. Thus my needs for Good reads and lists.

I actually did check out an eBook a book The Orphan Master's Son that I had already read in hard copy and I probably read about 1/4 it before I could clearly confirm that I did read it.

dstober likes this.
  9. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate when I do that. Amazon stopped that experience for me, but at a price--$$. I'm hoping Oysterbooks is a compromise between the convenience Amazon provides in tracking / availability and our libraries low $ (as in free) but quite a bit more work. You have done a nice job of putting the effort to link GoodReads and your library.
    Currently reading The Family Fang through Oysterbooks. A little whacky, but pretty interesting.

iolaire likes this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze likes this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another one to join is forgottenbooks. It focusses on really old books. Once you subscribe, you get to download one book daily for free (not your choice :( ) It is also rather British centric. I do manage to read one book that catches my eye per week.

forgottenbooks.com

iolaire likes this.