Own Bank's Billpay, or Vendor's Website Billpay?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which do you use / prefer, and why?

Pay the credit cards, etc., directly with the websites? Or use you own bank's site?

2. SoFlyOn
    Original Member

SoFlyOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I push everything I can onto my (mileage earning) credit card. Otherwise I push from my vendor - that way I can review the bill before I pay.

3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For bill-payments, it is better to push the money (from your bank/cc to the vendor) than to have the vendor pull it.

When you push it, you do not give the vendor your account number; when they pull it, they need you account number, routing transit, whatever.

4. it'ship2b^2
    Original Member

it'ship2b^2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A danger of automatic drafts are that some banks/vendors will continue to draft your account even after your business together has concluded. Mortgage companies are particularly bad about this after people refi. New federal laws require your bank to block particular drafts permanently at your request but it could take days to sort out and over a week to get your fraudulantly drafted money back.

It's not a good idea to give anyone you routing info and permission to draft your account. There are a lot of dishonest people out there and it isn't aways obvious who they are. And some honest companies are so inefficiently run that these things can slip through the cracks.

5. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both. For credit cards, I have it set up at the vendor site to min-pay on the due date, so that I don't get stuck with late charges, interest rate hikes, and the like. And then I go in manually and use my checking bill-pay to go pay the rest of what I want to pay that month.

Almost everything else except for a couple of utilities go to a credit card to earn miles, and those other utilities can only handle bill pay by written agreement to them and then them pulling from my checking.