OWMD - London

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by Randy Petersen, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Here's a unique experience for participants of the free evening you have in London, especially as it seems a Milepoint member and participant in the OWMD will be the key presenter. If interested, please contact Julie Stern [palmbeachclub@aol.com]

Dear One World MEGADO participants,
    Our founder, Stuart Milk, who is attending your MEGADO (stuartfla) has noted that there is no activity planned for evening of January 24 and therefore wanted to extend an invitation to any of the TATL participants to attend, (at no charge), a rare evening meeting of the HouseofLords (the upper chamber of the United Kingdom Parliament). Mr. Milk will be making a human rights address and in his prepared remarks is giving particular mention to American Airlines and the companies' longstanding commitment to diversity inclusive of the LGBT community. The address is being moderated by Lord Judd, Founding Director of the Global UK based charity Oxfam. You might also find a unique connection in that the Founder and CEO of the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure, Nancy Brinker also sits on our Harvey Milk Foundation Board.

If any of your MEGADO TATL attendees would like the opportunity to see the House of Lords in a rare evening session and hear a fellow MEGADO participate give a major address on human rights, we would be thrilled to have them. The address and event in the House of Lords is calendared for 70 minutes. The security procedures for entrance to the chamber are intense and names ahead of time for clearance would be quite helpful.

I have attached a brochure for the House of Lords event here. It is my understanding that Mr.Milk is participating in your program earlier that day, therefore would someone kindly let me know where Mr. Milk will will be departing from towards the late afternoon so I can coordinate with the staff at Parliament for his transport and arrival.

Much thanks and best of luck on your first One World MegaDo!

Regards,
    Julie Stern
    Volunteer Coordinator
    HARVEY B. MILK FOUNDATION

[​IMG]

the Harvey Milk Foundation Fund is a 501(c)3 Charitable Fund

”In the brief time that Harvey spoke, and ran and led, his voice stirred the aspirations of millions...and gave us hope, all of us!- hope unashamed, hope unafraid - and that could not be silenced.”

President of the United States, Barack Obama

““Today, Harvey Milk’s work continues – through the efforts of his nephew, Stuart Milk, and the Harvey Milk Foundation"

Democratic Leader of the US House, Nancy Pelosi

"Stuart Milk, from the Harvey Milk Foundation really summed it up. Everyone is included in this life with the same rights and same potential to contribute. He said that ‘tolerance’ was not a word to be spoken in this regard – it is about an inclusive society – not just a tolerant society. I totally agree with him"

Lynne Featherstone, MP and United Kingdom's Home Office Minister.

"The inspiration being created by Stuart Milk and all those behind the Harvey Milk Foundation is creating Equality that will stand the test of time”

Former White House Chief of Protocol for President Bush, Former US Ambassador to Hungary,

and Founder & CEO of Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure, Nancy Brinker

Visit the Harvey B. Milk Foundation on Facebook and Twitter for Daily News and Updates

UPCOMING HARVEY MILK FOUNDATION EVENTS AND ENGAGEMENTS FOR JANUARY 2012:

STUART MILK TO PROVIDE MAJOR ADDRESS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM HOUSE OF LORDS

On The Role Of the United Nations Regarding LGBT Rights

January 24, 2012, the UK Parliament, Upper Chamber 6:30 PM GMT

Harvey Milk Foundation and Stonewall UK Brings Tony Award Winner Emily Mann's Play on the Assassination of Harvey Milk, Execution of Justice to London's West End Southwark Playhouse, January 10 - February 17, 2012

Stuart Milk and Emily Mann provide post performance Q & A on January 12 and 13, London

STUART MILK TO KEYNOTE ADDRESS THE INTERNATIONAL COURT ON ANNIVERSARY OF UNIVERSAL RIGHTS ACT

JANUARY 31, 2012, THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS 4:00 PM GMT

Westminister UNA and UK House of Lords Event.jpg

NYCAdventurer, AZO_Tim, Sagy and 2 others like this.
  2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW! That sounds like quite an opportunity - wish I could make it!

3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an opportunity. May have to alter a few plans and check this out.

AZO_Tim and zpaul like this.
  4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing and a bit overwhelming.

zpaul likes this.
  5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason to be sorry I couldn't pull the trigger on London.

FriendlySkies and zpaul like this.
  6. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just emailed Julie asking to be added to the list.

zpaul likes this.
  7. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I'm curious how dressed up we have to get for this?

Sagy and zpaul like this.
  8. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you watch Bill & Katie's nuptials ? The guys in the back with the big hats with the 15th century outfits? I think that was the business casual of the day :eek: ;)

zpaul and Sagy like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, men should wear jacket and tie inside (<18 being the exception).

From the Hansard archives (this refers to the Dining areas and such, but likely also apply to other areas of the House of Lords. Wikipedia also has some assorted notations on Dress codes and whatnot inside (no hats, no medals, no pets, no hands in pocket -- though I am not sure if this refers to members, guests or everyone):

22 Oct 2007 : Column WA83

House of Lords: Guests' Dress Code

Lord Laird asked the Chairman of Committees:

What is the current dress code for guests of Members of the House of Lords; how it is monitored; and by whom it is monitored. [HL5679]
    The Chairman of Committees (Lord Brabazon of Tara): In November 2004 the Refreshment Committee agreed that, in accordance with the views of 71 per cent of the respondents to the Members’ survey undertaken in that year, the requirement for men to wear a jacket and tie in the Peers’ Dining Room, the Guest Dining Room, the Guest Room Bar and the Barry Room should be maintained. The committee also agreed that this requirement should not necessarily apply to those aged under 20.

Black Rod has a general responsibility for enforcing rules, including dress codes, agreed by the House and its committees. Staff acting under his authority, and Refreshment Department staff, have a role in reminding Members and their guests of agreed dress codes but, ultimately, Members themselves are responsible for maintaining these standards.

I am happy to remind Members, by means of this Answer, that, as stated on page 67 of the Handbook on Facilities and Services for Members, men are required to wear a jacket and tie in the Peers’ Dining Room, the Peers’ Guest Dining Room, the Guest Room Bar and the Barry Room.

zpaul likes this.
  10. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that I didn't pack either, I think this means that I will not be able to attend :(

zpaul likes this.
  11. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Arg...what to do...this is going to be hard in carry on only.

12. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wrote to julie stern to check on the dress code again. will update. hoping we can go!

Sagy and NYCAdventurer like this.
  13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pick up a tie at Duty Free?

Sagy likes this.
  14. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    That helps, i'm still on the fence. Bringing a jacket won't work in my carry on.

15. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am travelling without a formal jacket as well. so, we'll see! everything is fluid!

16. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they accept my North Face jacket as formal, a tie will not resolve the issue :(

FriendlySkies and From NYC like this.
  17. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what H&M is for ;)

canucklehead likes this.
  18. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, of course, the jacket will self-destroy after use. :)

19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just means you don't have to pack it anymore :p

canucklehead likes this.
  20. AZO_Tim

AZO_Tim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked Julie about the dress code last night. She wrote back saying " As far as dress code for the House of Lords, our understanding is guests attending will be in gallery seats of which there are 75 and that business attire is acceptable - dress shoes, slacks and button down shirt would work."

She also indicated that the BA reception is scheduled for 6pm at the Arrivals Lounge in T5. Though I would love to attend the address, I feel that my real purpose on this trip is to participate in the BA events - reception included.

Sagy likes this.
  21. A2A

A2A Silver Member

Status Points:
    email from julie sterns below. she says that she now knows there is an evening reception at LHR at 6 PM.... [/SIZE

Thank you for your interest. Full disclosure here- late Friday I had been informed quite authoritatively by British Airways (BA) that they will actually now be hosting a gala reception at the BA Arrivals lounge in T5 for the Milepoint OneWorld MegaDO attendees on that evening beginning at 6 PM January 24 that is in addition to the daytime meetings they are also hosting earlier in the same day, therefore we certainly understand that you may prefer to attend the gala reception at LHR airport. The House of Lords gallery guests dress in business attire normally although we have been told a tie is also quite optional for guests not on the dais.

Now, at the risk of being redundant, Stuart Milk will be speaking at the House of Lords at the exact same time as the evening BA reception begins for OWMD.

In the chance that you prefer to attend the event at Parliament, just let me know today by return e-mail and I will add your name - would you also kindly confirm your full name that matches the passport/ID that you would bring with you? Then plan to enter Parliament at 6:00 PM via House of Lords Cromwell Garden entrance and the through the slopped access to the security screening. We are suggesting that attendees take the UNA event attachment that Randy posted on mile point- the human rights address is listed on the days Parliament docket as UNA-Westminister by Lord Judd and Lord Black.

Thank you again for your interest and support and best of luck with your One World events!

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT=helvetica][COLOR=black]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT=helvetica][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT=helvetica]

[FONT=arial][COLOR=black]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]

[FONT=helvetica]

[COLOR=black]Regards[/COLOR][COLOR=black][SIZE=2],[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=helvetica]

[COLOR=black]Julie Stern[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13px][FONT=helvetica]

[COLOR=black]Volunteer Coordinator[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

FriendlySkies and Sagy like this.