OWMD - Dallas

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by zpaul, Jan 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I've been to Dallas a ton of times but never as a real tourist. We're getting in at 6:00am on Wednesday, and with so much time before the festivities begin I'd like to show my Chilean partner a bit of the city. I've seen the ideas about visiting the stadium, BBQ, etc., but I'm thinking something much more basic and touristy than that. Any ideas?

2. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    All depends on what you might like to see. There are great art museums (Nasher for sculpture, Dallas Museum of Art - has an interesting Jean-Paul Gaultier exhibit, etc.) downtown; things related to the JFK assassination (museum at the Schoolbook Depository, Dealy (sp?) Plaza, etc.); restaurants/shopping/galleries in the historic West End. Others may have additional ideas, but those might fit the "touristy" bill.

carwag25, FriendlySkies and zpaul like this.
  3. oiRRio

oiRRio Silver Member

Status Points:
    In 2008 a friend and I did the JFK museum on a full day stopover from S. America followed by a BBQ lunch. Pleasant way to spend a day and a similar time frame to yours. The only downside was the surprising no. of panhandlers and people selling tat in the vicinity of the museum. I got accosted more in 2 hours around the museum than I had been in the previous week in Brasil

zpaul likes this.
  4. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like we all have the afternoon open and a large group (off the TATL) arrives around 2pm with others trickling in throughout the day. Since it was such a success at SMD2 (there was no real time on SMD3) maybe we should bring the lounge crawl idea back to the table?

My understanding is that members and 2 guests can get past security if you have a "business meeting" in the lounge. However, according to this, we may have to give them a list of names in advance (don't know how strict that policy is). Does anyone have experience with getting gate passes for AAdmirals Club access?

DFW has 4 AAdmirals Clubs to visit so this can be almost as good as IAH was...
    (If we have enough credentials there's also a United Club to throw into the mix).

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget the Delta Sky Club :p (I cashed out my Sky Bonus points from years ago on a Sky Club membership)

dmel and zpaul like this.
  6. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grew up and lived in the area for almost 30 years so here are a few additional ideas:
    Fort Worth Stockyards
    Reunion Tower (and restaurant)
    Grapevine Mall (huge mall just north of the airport)

dmel, From NYC and zpaul like this.
  7. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never gotten a gate pass for AC access, but I have discussed it with the AC phone reps. Here's what I know:

- You need to have a stated business purpose. You don't need to provide them with any details; they just need it on record.
    - You need to have your birthday set in your AAdv profile (part of your "secure traveler profile")
    - You need to call 2 days prior to the visit - not earlier (the BP might be auto-canceled) and not later (not sure why, but was told this)
    - They issue you a boarding pass from the airport in question to Butte, Montana (BTM)

I asked about TSA questioning the BP/destination and they said that TSA is well aware that this is the process AA uses for gate passes.

I assume you need to be an AC member for this. Given that, once you're air-side, you have access to the AC without providing your BP, and have the normal guesting capabilities. I didn't ask, and have no idea about, getting gate passes for non-AC-members (i.e. guesting from land-side).

I'll have more info on Sunday and can discuss at Puglia.

ETA: found a thread on TOBB about this.

FriendlySkies, _kurt and From NYC like this.
  8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    As this is the OWMD and not a scheduled sightseeing trip, I would most definitely be up for this. Getting in as early as we (me and +1) do, I see no problem getting to the hotel at 7:30am, sleeping a bit and heading back to the airport (it's attached/close, right?) for some AC fun. After all, gotta get the most of the membership!

I think we can easily determine a common stated business purpose, but it needs to be booked through just one of the ACs, right? That doesn't mean we can't go to all the others, just that one has the be the determined business meeting club.

And besides, I need to get back to Butte!

From NYC and dmel like this.
  9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1, but I’m not an AC member. I use the Clubs because of my AmEx Plat card, if that helps at all. I’ll ask at an AC during my MR this Monday/Tuesday.

dmel likes this.
  10. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have opinions on Longoria’s BBQ in Ft Worth? The beef brisket sausage really intrigues me, but I'm not sure it's [ft] worth the ~45 min drive o/w from DFW.

http://g.co/maps/yrj4n

I should be able to make the r/t in time for AA51 arrival for the lounge crawl :)

FriendlySkies and zpaul like this.
  11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    For anyone interested, here's AA's "Non-Traveling Security Access" page:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/admiralsClubArticles/tsaSecurity.jsp

From what I can tell, from the information below only TWO non-members are permitted, regardless of how many members are in the meeting. Is that what the rest of y'all see? Or is that two additional guests to the stated guest limit for members? Maybe we have to plan multiple meetings...

If you are an Admirals Club member, you are not required to reserve a private conference room if you wish to hold a business meeting in an Admirals Club lounge. Please contact Admirals Club Customer Service at least 24 hours prior to your business meeting by dialing 1-800 237-7971 from the U.S, Canada, or Puerto Rico, and pressing Option 1 or by dialing 1-817-963-6100 (from international locations) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. (Central Time) and providing the following information at least 24 hours in advance:
    • Admirals Club number/AAdvantage® number
    • Legal name as it appears on government issued identification for each individual
    • Birth dates, including year, for each individual (maximum of two guests allowed for non-conference room meeting)*
    • Gender, for each individual
    • Location, date and time of non-conference room meeting
    After notifying Admirals Club Customer Service of your business meeting, you will be advised of the procedure you and your guests must follow to clear TSA Security at that location. You and your guests will need to provide government-issued photo identification.

*Includes two-guest limit for Admirals Club members and AAirpass members, with Admirals Club privileges, who attend meetings in an Admirals Club lounge when not reserving a private conference room.

From NYC and dmel like this.
  12. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that if you book a conference room, you can bring in as many people as the room holds. Otherwise you are limited to 2.

zpaul likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but conference rooms start at $50 per person per hour, don't they? And $70 per non-member per hour. Or is that per room, based on member/non-member reserving it?

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=...ralsConferenceRooms.jsp#conferenceRoomPricing

14. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the link I had up in my post... :)

The policy make sense as you are limited to 2 guests anyway. But I think the intent is per-member and there's certainly no reason to have one giant meeting when we can have many 3-person meetings... :D

The advance notification thing is going to be the biggest hurdle...

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you can crash the session(s) going on in F during your OWMD TATL flight and put in a word for this with a certain person from AA? :rolleyes: I know you have a way of getting into things. :cool:

16. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should still be able to get gate passes for one United Club member + two guests to get to the United Club at terminal E. Once in security - you have the run of the whole airport via the train.

I've been in and out of the DFW United Club many times on my runs - I was there this morning. If I have enough connection time - it is quick trip over to Term E. The ladies at the United Club still view it as a Continental Club only at this time - until the offficial cut over in March / April. They only display CO flights and they can only access CO computers. They should have access to GG Checkpoint 53 rules. Phone number is published on co.com.

jetsetr, zpaul and From NYC like this.
  17. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me add - I did get into Term D AA club with someone on the community met ups with the SFO runs. It is a real nice lounge - one of the nicest I have every been in. I think a tour would be really nice - if we have enough people with access. I only have access for United Club.

zpaul likes this.
  18. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, as members we are allowed two guests; I already have one with me, so that leaves my Guest #2 opening available.

19. oiRRio

oiRRio Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a TATL flight in J and a reception Wed. night I think I'll give the lounge crawl a miss and maybe hit the Grapevine Mills mall for a couple of hours after I get to the hotel. In any case after a 48 hour long domestic MR last weekend I've had my fill of ACs for a while.

FriendlySkies and zpaul like this.
  20. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's too bad we're not at the Grand Hyatt at DFW (instead of the Regency)...since in that case the hotel will give you gate-passes to get past security.

DCtrAAveler, zpaul and mowogo like this.
  21. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    But just to be sure (I've never stayed at the hotel before) the Regency IS on DFW property, right?

oiRRio likes this.
  22. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - right behind Term's A and C. But you can't really walk over there too well - they have a bus.

The Grand Hyatt is however accessible by the train - but we are staying at the older Hyatt Regency.

zpaul and From NYC like this.
  23. SvenVDM

SvenVDM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, since we're all airline freaks, how about a visit to the C.R. Smith Airline Museum at DFW? Been there a couple of years ago and was worth the while. Or is that too "unsophisticated" for this group as it's open to the public? :p

24. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dallas–Fort Worth questions:
    The bus on Thursday afternoon is going to drop us off on the tarmac, right? Next to the plane? No need to traipse through the terminal? :p
    Also, will towels be provided after the water evacuation? I was taught to always know where my towel is.

zphelj, Sagy, mowogo and 2 others like this.
  25. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited the museum as well, was a very nice museum but not sure it would be worthy for a revisit if I was traveling on my own. For those that haven't been, I do recommend!

zpaul likes this.