OWMD AA PROMO Information

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by zpaul, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am seeing a lot of questions about the AA challenge in a few of the other threads, and I have some of my own, so I thought it might be good to consolidate the information into one. (I hope it's not politically incorrect to start a new thread when I'm not one of the OWMD organizers...if it is I will ask for forgiveness by plying Randy and the rest with drinks at some point during the Do!)

For my own part, I just want to be clear about the AA Challenge, as the Terms and Conditions still only mention members of other frequent flyer programs being able to challenge for equivalent status. I thought I read somewhere in one of the threads that we (already loyal oneworld and AA customers), too, are eligible for the same challenge?

My situation: As Gold, I currently have flights earning over 19,500 EQPs booked in December, so initially I was going to challenge for PLAT and pay the $200. Do I still do the same challenge or can I have the fee waived and change it to 10,000 Base Miles from 10,000 EQPs? What happens if, as Gold, I fly more than 20,000 Base Miles in that time (by adding an additional r/t somewhere)...can I get to Executive Platinum (I know, that's pie-in-the-sky, but the worst you can do is say "no," right?)?

Thanks!

Dcg543 and FlyIce like this.
  2. TelevisionTdTina

TelevisionTdTina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting the thread. I too was made confused on a previous thread by posts by Tommy777 (indicating loyal elites would also benefit from the challenge) and Pizzaman (indicating elites benefit from the challenge IF the AA elite had equivalent or higher status with another non-OW carrier). Maybe, it was a case of Tommy referring to the T&C that state what Pizza refers, and my thinking that AA would not leave their loyal customers out of a perk so generous that made it confusing for me.

In my case, due to a down in business travel, I've dropped to PLT. I'd like to get back to EXP on private travel, but, that would be difficult without a "boost". If, I can't maintain PLT, I'm afraid the 320k miles in the bank will be difficult to utilize to their full potential.

Consideration from AA of its loyal customers, most who (guessing) don't have status with other carriers because they do all their business with AA is VERY appreciated!

Clarification/agreement from organizers also appreciated. :)

Dcg543 and zpaul like this.
  3. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am soo sooo excited about the megado, but also about the status challenge.

I am a UA 1K and will be challenging to EXP. The rules require 20K base miles by 1/13. Do any of the organizers know if those base miles must be on AA metal? I'm looking at MRing to China for this, but the flights all seem to be operated by OW partners, not AA.

Anyone have info on this? I want to purchase my tix as soon as I can!

Also, from what I understand of the challenges, once you are enrolled, you assume that status level immediately, then if you don't make it, you no longer have that status level. Is this the case for this challenge?

Thanks so very much for any help you can provide!
    carsonheim :D

zpaul and lrluis like this.
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of the last T&Cs, it all has to be on AA metal.

Come to PVG next weekend for the FT China DO! A couple of us got tickets for $800~. Earning about 15K miles.

jetsetr and zpaul like this.
  5. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    oooh! I just might do that! I just put a ticket on hold....

zpaul and FriendlySkies like this.
  6. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I go about contacting AA for this status match? The T&C's I read had the contact number as TBD.

zpaul likes this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are still working that out. Some of us submitted our challenge requests before the number was removed.

8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    The T&Cs appear to have been updated with:

The elite status challenge can be used to qualify for an AAdvantage elite status level that is higher than the member currently holds or to re-qualify for their existing AAdvantage elite status level, thus extending the expiration date of that status. To qualify, base miles must be earned for travel on purchased, published fare tickets on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier marketed and operated flights between October 9, 2011 and January 13, 2012.

Sounds good, and so far no mention of being able to only move up one level, so EXP may be in my near future!

Also, it appears that someone else started a similar thread just after I started this one which appears to be getting more traction...merge possibility?

Dcg543 likes this.
  9. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    But, of course, one has too look at all of the terms and conditions, not just the ones they deem favorable. Sigh. I'm an EXP and would dearly love to extend for a year (I'll actually re-qualify but an added year would be wonderful...)

The T&Cs for the challenge start with the following:

Elite Status Qualification Challenge
    oneworld MegaDo participants holding current elite status membership with a non oneworld carrier have the exclusive opportunity to participate in a fee-waived* elite qualification challenge, allowing participants to reach AAdvantage elite status at an accelerated rate. In order to participate in the challenge, the participant will need to fax the other airline frequent flyer program dated membership card or most recent dated statement to AAdvantage Customer Service at (tba).​
    (Emphasis added)​

It would benefit me tremendously if that pesky line weren't there. Alas, it is.

I hope I'm wrong or that they reconsider.*

Jim

* On the other hand, I fear Maya (Ms. Liebman, may I be so bold as to use your first name though we've never met?) may decree that for the duration of the OWMD all EXPs must wear shirts that proclaims, in neon colors, "But, but, ... but, I'm an EXP!" and on the back it would have "DYKWIA" where one would expect a sports player's name to be. Oh, the shame and humiliation it would bring. Ahhh, hell, I'd actually wear it. Then again,...

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give her any ideas :p

jupper, zpaul and FriendlySkies like this.
  11. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT

OMWD Tee Shirts for all!

STATUS ----- FRONT TEXT ----- BACK (NAME)
    EXP ----- But, but, ... but I'm an EXP! ----- DYKWIA
    PLT ----- I think I can, I think I can... ----- Lil' Engine
    GLD ----- Really, is that all there is? ----- P. Lee

Other Alliance But, but, ... but on my carrier! D. Oxburger

None Huh, why can't I board now? M. Kettle*

I'll leave it to greater minds than mine to craft the appropriate imagery for each shirt front.

Jim

* Or, P. Kettle as appropriate

Jeez, creating a "table" is a bear...

silicicacid, Titans26, zpaul and 3 others like this.
  12. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    But what about people like me... OW Emerald (QF Platinum)? AA EXP holds far less value for me as a person that travels mainly on QF (And the odd JQ flight; AA EXP doesn't give me any benefit on JQ, at least QF Platinum gives me F Lounge when travelling JQ int).

We're not all in AA land ;)

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  13. -CH-

-CH- Active Member

Status Points:
    i too hope they reconsider - other than purely to drum up new business, i cant imagine why they wouldn't want to encourage continued loyalty/good will among current elites who give all or a good chunk of their current flying to AA.... and (while there's still plenty of it at present) time for those individuals to book pre-OWMD grows shorter each day.

14. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone figure out if DL Plat or CO Plat will qualify for this?

zpaul likes this.
  15. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It will qualify, but I'm betting that it will go for Plat, not EXP.. Those levels don't fly 100K.. DL Diamond and UA 1K do, so they qualify for EXP.

zpaul likes this.
  16. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about Flying Blue Platinum? I have that status as well as Platinum on Continental. So hopefully one of those matches to EXP,,, or I am in a pickle ;) I originally thought that if you have EXP status currently, you could just go for the challenge to maintain if you fly 20k miles. Someone posted about that, and got my mind thinking that was the deal ~~

zpaul likes this.
  17. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember you could have flown 200k eqms with CO or 120k with DL and only been Plat. So I hope there's some flexibility. I'm already Plat, so the Plat challenge would not help me much...

zpaul and yousavvy like this.
  18. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

zpaul likes this.
  19. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hand was on the gun, and I was ready to shoot...

but the thought of EXP, when I would only get to platinum this year, is what made me pull the trigger... Hope it's not a misfire :D

zpaul likes this.
  20. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps that will be dealt with on a case by case basis. However, I do not think a person with less than 100K EQMs should be matched to EXP.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

21. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is a crazy long shot, but I'll throw it out there... Boyfriend John and I are trying to get into the OWMD (hoping the soon-to-be-announced 2nd wave of seats, or 2nd plane, or whatever happens) will do the job. We're both UA 1K and super interested in doing the ExecPlat special challenge to jump to get AA status. If anyone knows of any way this might be available even if we don't get in the OWMD.... would definitely be interested! :)

zpaul likes this.
  22. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the best way is to email or start a conversation with Randy.. There is a large waitlist, however.

zpaul likes this.
  23. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have over 100K on CO - then you should be able to get UA 1K. If you flew over 100K on CO in 2010, you were able to get UA 1K earlier this year. But I guess it would apply this year once 100K EQM is reach.

I would start with getting UA 1K for a CO Plat over 100K thus far for 2011.

24. oiRRio

oiRRio Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simple, just earn 100k EQMs/EQPs or fly 100 segments in a calendar year.

zpaul, drewbles and FriendlySkies like this.
  25. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's get real, it's not like they'd be extending this to hundreds of people. There's what? 150 seats on that plane? and I'd assume that at most 75 of those are either interested or have status on another airline, so it's not like they are giving it away. In my personal situation, I was Diamond on DL last year and have slowly been moving my business to AA. At the moment I have some flying with DL and some with AA. Allowing me to challenge EXP would give me the definite incentive to move all my business to AA.