OWMD 2?

Discussion in 'OWMD2 (oneworld MegaDO #2)' started by burkey, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. burkey

burkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Realize you guys are hard at work in SMD4 and possible RTWMD - any insight into a second OWMD would be appreciated!!

Dcg543, kiwi and jbcarioca like this.
  2. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tommy said that he will announce it this late Aug, so , stay tune for the next ten days.

Dcg543 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. burkey

burkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I must have missed it in the Star-fest threads!

4. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe there was an indication that if there was one, it would be late January like OWMD1.

Also - there is speculation that the proposed Frequent Traveler Univerisity weekend at LAX might move from the dates of Dec 7-9 to the weekend before the next OWMD.

Again - all just speculation.

5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Frequent Traveler University already moved. It's a weekend earlier (Nov 30 - Dec 2)

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And the contract for FTU is signed, it isnot going to move to January to coincide with OWMD. Oh my goodness, the MegaDOs are enough work without adding on an FTU to the mix (great, now that I've said that Tommy will want to do just that in the future...)

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just say No

Dcg543 likes this.
  8. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have yet to hear anything about an upcoming OWMD besides that it may take place in January.

However, the dates for FTU in LAX have already been changed to Nov. 30 thru Dec 2. from the original dates you stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Milepoint

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  9. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have it from a completely unreliable, and possibly made up, source that the OWMD2 will actually be on US Airways! The big news will be that AA is going to emerge from bankrupcy and purchase US Airways. The OWMD2 will be the weekend following US Airways' initiation into OW!

Proposed itinerary is Phoenix to Little Rock to Omaha to Philadelphia. The PLOP tour will feature visits to a Box Factory, the newly-renamed Clinton Airport's backend tour, and of course, the factory where they make Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Flights will be on new Embraer 170s with an optional water landing in the Schuylkill River.

This year's hotel partner is Wyndham, and there will be a special discount rate at the Super 8 Omaha Eppley Airport, including discount entrance to a local entertainment establishment and waiver of the two-drink minimum. It will be an adventure not to be missed!

The International segment will be to Tijuanna. I know, Holy Guacamole, indeed! Although a slightly different venue than last year, there will be an evacuation slide and I think all of the participants are going to want to buy a slot on this one. Gold Members can purchase MilePoint ping pong balls in the merchandise store to be used during the presentation.

Please keep this under wraps until the official announcement!

10. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least the auction winners from OWMD1 will be prepared for the water landing!

Dcg543, zphelj and mowogo like this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Patience young grasshoppers ....

"the time to hear is near"

Dcg543, William JLP, katstarr and 5 others like this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a preview at HOM? :) Early registration, even?

Dcg543, William JLP, cova and 2 others like this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    that works for me!

Dcg543, William JLP and cova like this.
  14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if all the Post DO monthly winners (and maybe more so - all those on the monthly leaderboard) - get a priority slot. These are the hardcore AA flyers - the ones AA was attracting for its Post Challenge. I go from "0" on AA the last several years to 200K EQM and >120 segments for 2012.

Dcg543 and Randy Petersen like this.
  15. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're reading each others minds on this one. Heck, we'll be at HOM with Ryan Bingham for crying out loud. He's got some pull with AA I hear .. ;)

I am going to disagree with Cova on the priority slot for monthly winners. That contest was focused entirely on new flyers to AA. That's fine for what it was meant to be but loyalty is a two way street. There's plenty of hard core AA flyers that are not new, they've been spending money with AA for years.

Dcg543, drewbles, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Personally I tend to think of the Mega DOs as great both for current loyal engaged members of an airline, and potential future ones. They're an all-around great experience, whether a hardcore flyer of the sponsoring airline or not. And they can serve as a great way for the airline to introduce themselves to new customers as well as continue to build their relationship with existing ones.

Prior to OWMD I was an AA 3MM but not much of an AA flyer. As a result of the status challenge, I became an EXP for the first time, and requalified for EXP a couple of months ago.

drewbles, paladinua, Dcg543 and 4 others like this.
  17. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Post DO contest was available for all AA OWMD attendees - even if long time AA flyers - for winning the monthly and grand prizes. Now I agree the bonus miles for exceeding last years EQM was much in favor of new AA flyers - but if an old time AA flyer flew so many miles or so many segments - they would make the leaderboard. And I know that some that did were long time AA flyers. The Post challenge looked at the EQM and Segments of all flyers on OWMD.

So if a long time AA flyer did not make the leaderboard at all - then they might not be that great of a customer. And some of those who did make the leaderboard - did not have excessive numbers (like the excessive numbers a few of us had).

paladinua and Dcg543 like this.
  18. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that AA would base such a decision on one quarter's worth of data only when they have years, even decades worth of data on some of us.

I flew BA for the first time ever this year. I think part of that decision is rooted in my MegaDo experience and BA's participation.

drewbles likes this.
  19. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not too self-serving, huh?;)

20. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well - we had some people make the Leaderboard with as low a 6500 miles in a month. At that rate - one would not make EXP. So those not making the leaderboard did fly very much on AA.

Those that did make the top 5 - I think should get a consolation prize (ie early booking).

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whereas those who spread their flights and miles out over a longer period of time or different period of time, as opposed to those jamming it in to win extra whatever’s from AA? Personally, I’m quite content with the post-Do offers from AA, even though I only benefited from the 3x the extra miles I flew from the year previous.

That’s not to write that I wouldn’t like a leg up on getting a spot on OWMD2 either.:D

22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks, thank you all for your patience. I'm ironing out the last details, expect to see an announcement very soon

Dcg543, oiRRio, JAbrams72 and 18 others like this.
  23. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    yay - thanks for the heads up. :cool:

24. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    excited :)

25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hooray for Mega-do

Dcg543, cova, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.