OW News - News Conference on Oct 8 for "Significant Membership Development"

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

Oneworld will hold an event announcing a "significant membership development" on 8 October, coming amidst widely-reported discussions with Qatar Airways about joining the alliance.

The event will be held in New York and includes Bruce Ashby, chief executive of Oneworld, Tom Horton, chairman and chief executive of American Airlines, and Willie Walsh, chief executive of International Airlines Group (IAG), according to documents obtained by Flightglobal.

Qatar has been linked to joining one of the big three alliances in the near future.

Snagging the Doha-based carrier would be a coup for Oneworld. It would be the first of the big three alliances to include one of the major Gulf airlines and would ratchet up pressure on SkyTeam and Star to forge partnerships with either Emirates or Etihad.

RichardInSF likes this.
  2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the ever aggressive US Airways, in a tactical move, is applying for OW membership. :)

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or JJ made its decision early. Or a number of other possibilities. The ME carrier slant is popular gossip nowadays but it really could be any number of things.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given their recent mileage sales, that's an interesting slant. Would also help quell merger talks and rumors to have alliance partners vs. competitors.

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. CO switched from SkyTeam to *A before the UA/CO merger was announced.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Could be JJ. Could be launch of MH which is already known to be joining.

Could be "We're talking Mexicana and Malev off the oneworld website finally." :p

anabolism, LETTERBOY and JonNYC like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems unlikely. :oops:

The JJ thing is an interesting angle. The have made a bit of noise in their recent traffic reports/press releases suggesting that they're getting ready to decide and do something about in in H1 2013. With the 6-month "cool down" for departing Star Alliance the timing isn't all that off for such an announcement.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  9. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any chance that B6 (JetBlue) will be the new partner?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly less that QR IMO.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just please not AS. I'd hate to lose my ability to do something useful with DL miles.

IPBrian, rwoman, bobsgt and 1 other person like this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I wouldn't be too happy about losing DL/AF/KL options with AS, I'd prefer AS joining oneworld over US joining oneworld and then merging with AA.

rwoman and bobsgt like this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? Assuming the surviving carrier is AA, with US's additional routes and single employee groups across the new company (vs. the UA/AW structure they still have in place), what would be wrong with that?

US joining OW would be a huge coup, both in terms of a hit to *A and a significant expansion in both domestic and international routes/availability in the US. Unlike others, I think PHX could easily survive (and see AA/IAG pull back at DEN, moving that traffic to PHX), and the addition of CLT as a "southeast" hub would be nice.

In comparison, there are *no* domestic airlines that provide the same flexibility with miles, earning, redemption and status that AS has. None.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You and I must have different definitions of significant, as I don't really see the added international routes US brings to the table in a potential merger as "significant". The handful they do have are interesting, but even then, about half are seasonal. Nor does it add anything to Asia, where AA is really rather woeful.

Can you walk us through why you think PHX would survive? What's the point of having two hubs less than 350 miles from each other, particularly when one of those hubs is the 2nd largest city in the US?

And what exactly do you mean about the AA/IAG situation in DEN?

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because ever since US announced that it wanted to merge with AA, Dougie has been whining about how AA doesn't want to merge with him, and has been talking about a merger with an air of inevitability, like it's the most obvious thing in the world, and "Why doesn't anyone else see what I see?" If Dougie is in charge of a merged AA-US, then I want as little as possible to do with it. I could live with a merged AA-US, as long as Dougie wasn't running it, but he'll probably walk away from a deal rather than see someone else running things.

rwoman likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think given the choice of a competitive hub against UA, they'd take the chance to have a captive hub at PHX - even close to LA as it is (I can imagine there's probably competition for slots at LA?). Since DEN has a combined BA/AA lounge, that would likely move to PHX as well. US's EU routes terminate there (and PHL/CLT), so it's a logical choice vs. keeping PHX and DEN.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am probably misunderstanding you, but as far as I know (and can tell from US' route map at http://www.usairways.com/en-US/routemap.html) there is no EU route terminating in PHX for US. They have one-stop service via PHL or CLT listed, but I am not sure how that would be any different than one-stop service from anywhere in the US that has non-stop service to PHL or CLT.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe OW has decided to throw in the towel and will be auctioning off their member airlines?

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now they have changed their tone to declined to comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/02/us-qatarairways-idUSBRE8910A220121002

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Eh, I don't buy it. I think AA would rather make a go for it at LAX than dominate at PHX. I'm sure that 3 class Airbus is going to sell plenty of seats JFK to ... PHX with a short hop on AE to LAX? Unless you're saying you see AA operating LAX and PHX simultaneously as hubs, which I think is highly unlikely in this make believe scenario we've created.

And, as HaveMilesWillTravel notes, I don't think US actually has any EU flights from PHX. Do they even have any international flights outside Canada or Mexico from PHX?

I'm not up on the latest info but isn't AA's issue at LAX space and not slots? Once TBIT opens AA will have additional capacity and flexibility. I'm still confused on how DEN plays into this at all. BA and AA teamed up for a joint lounge as a cost saving measure, I'm not sure that limited venture is a signal of any deep investment by AA and BA to DEN that would merit any type of "move" to PHX should a merger happen.

21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an odd mish-mash ONEWORLD and its member carriers are becoming. Bringing in QR while QF is alligning with EK.

22. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically yes, but only very technically. SJO on a seasonal basis, according to Wikipedia.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    We should know soon....

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Press conference is at 2 PM Eastern.

Looks like current AA redemption partner EY has announced codeshare with AF/KL today as well, which might throw some water on the rumors that it was EY and not QR that would be joining OW.... LINK.

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And the wait is over. No shocker: QR is joining OW.