OW News: AirBerlin (AB) to start Berlin to ORD in 2013

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

AirBerlin is continuing its expansion from the USA: as of March 23, 2013 the airline will start operating nonstop flights from Chicago to Berlin, making it the first airline ever to provide a connection between this major U.S. metropolitan city and the capital of Germany. Following the inauguration of the nonstop flight from Los Angeles to Berlin in May of this year, this is the second major launch in 2012 for airberlin from the US to Germany thus far.

AirBerlin will start operations on the new route in time for the Easter holidays at the end of March 2013. When the summer schedule starts in May 2013, airberlin will increase the number of nonstop flights from three to five frequencies per week.

From May 1, 2013, an AirBerlin Airbus A330-200 will operate the eight-hour flight to Berlin from the Windy City on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Between March 23 and April 31 2013, airberlin will operate the direct flight every Monday, Thursday and Saturday. The flight departs from Chicago at 15:25 p.m. arriving in the German capital city at 07:00 a.m. next day. The return flight from Berlin leaves at 10:00 a.m. and arrives at Chicago O’Hare airport at 12:10 p.m.

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a welcome addition for Oneworld, but I would take a connection anywhere just to avoid their Business class seats. I flew them BER to LAX last year and the seat were like the ones BA had in the late 90's.

rwoman likes this.
  3. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whilst not (currently) eVIP-able, one positive in this is that it's a OW transatlantic option that does not involve LHR.

(.....wait 3 and a half hours in an immigration line at LHR and you'll forget about the eVIP that brought you over :) )

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're slowly replacing those seats with the older Swiss J seats, and eventually will be installing Etihad style J seats to bring some product similarity with their new major partner. No one seems to have a timeframe on that schedule though.

I'm flying J on AB from TXL-JFK in December. Guess I'll see how bad it is!

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that LHR can be a real hassle, but I'll take the VIP upgrade plus the hassle any day. Especially on a J-F upgrade :)

rwoman and Skye1 like this.
  6. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    always interesting to see what air berlin is up to...but sometimes i don't get their global strategy: seems like they try things, then roll back, then try something else...

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ... isn't that pretty much every airline ever? :confused:

rwoman, LETTERBOY and tommy777 like this.
  8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would as well, absolutely. :D It's just easily forgotten after you've circled London ten times waiting to land then stood in an immigration queue for a few hours :), so many hours that the arrivals lounge is now closed & off you go...

anabolism likes this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Really? That AA F seat is... Strange. To be honest with you, i dont see me buyin AA C with the current seat in C/F any more than buying Air Betlins Swiss seat. If I'm going through LHR and paying, I'd of course buy BA J at around the same price as AA and upgrade for a handful of Avios instead

At least there's a new OW option at ORD which does not include LHR. I'll take it

Skye1 likes this.
  10. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the usage of SWUs on partner airlines would be by far the best enhancement of the program they could make.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When (I'm optimistic it will happen :) ) SWUs become eligible for use on partners they'll probably come with fare class restrictions, just like using AA miles for upgrade on BA/IB. This will of course mean limited utility for some users. I just hope that doesn't mean their use on AA metal will also see the same type of restrictions.

12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true, that! The circling for 40 minutes I can forget, but the hours and hours in a massive immigration queue is really aggravating. Not looking forward to my next overnight at LHR in August.

To be honest, I much prefer the AA F seat to the BA one, old or new. BA has much better sleep pads, pajamas, pillows, and food, but I really like the extra space in the AA F seat area. The BA seat is a bit cramped (and I'm a pretty small guy) and has no decent storage space. AA has all the extra surface area, plus you can stow a backpack under the ottoman (verboten on BA), so I can easily get stuff out and put stuff in throughout the flight. If you want to use your laptop, you can use the pop-out desk to keep it out and handy and plugged in without taking away an inch of tray space or interfering with meal service. Throw in the high BA fuel surcharge and it's a no-brainer.

Now, if I'm going to be stuck in J, no question I'll take BA's over the current AA seat. No question at all.

Which option? Madrid?

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dusseldorf and/or Berlin, DUS and TXL, Germany.

I think their business class product still gets mixed reveiws, but they do seem to be improving in terms of service for elite-level frequent fliers. (preiously below One World standards, as they were--and some might stay still are--basically an LCC, but apparently improving)

(noting that it's Berlin TXL, as opening of the new BER has been delayed, but that's a discussion for a whole nutha' thread...).

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be the overnight you'd spend somewhere on the floor, barely beyond the jetbridge, in T-3 or T-5, whilst in the queue for customs? :eek:

anabolism likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems you got so caught up in your BA vs AA discussion you forgot what this thread is actually about. ;)

anabolism, LETTERBOY and Skye1 like this.
  16. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that a nice way of saying that the name of the airline involved MIGHT be a clue? :D

....see, that's what waaaaaay too much time circling LHR and standing in LHR customs queues will do to a person's head. :D

anabolism likes this.
  17. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess would be that when it happens, it won't necessarily be *quite* as restrictive as the current AAdv upgrade on BA/IB flights scheme but most definitely would completely concur that usage of AAdv miles and/or SWU's on OneWorld partners will most definitely not be on "all fare classes" as is the case present with AAdv upgrades on AA flights

Skye1 likes this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't recall what fare class, but I think their use on CX required a minium fare class (similar in concept to how earning miles on CX used to require an H fare or higher).

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd hope they're less restrictive, the miles upgrade is a difficult as it is. I don't think I've seen anyone post that they've actually used that option. I'm sure some have, though.

If these types of fare class restrictions do pop up, it would be nice if AA updated AA.com to allow user to search for upgradeable fares like UA.

Are you saying that at one point AA SWUs could be used on CX on certain fare classes?

20. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a time where you could use AA miles to upgrade CX flights-- never SWUs.

On the other front-- agree completely! While I have no doubt people have done it (used AA miles to upgrade BA full-fare flights) the feature as-is is bordering on completely useless, if ya' ask me. One would be much better off just accumulating (even buying) some BA miles to upgrade-- the deal with AAdvantage is just ridiculous, as-is, IMHO and --also, MHO-- only a rube would do it compared to other MFU options, etc. that intelligent, informed FFers would know of/use.

Skye1 likes this.
  21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recalled incorrectly. Yep, mileage upgardes, not swu's.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely remember hearing that was the case but it was before my time in AA world. Since we were talking SWUs it was a bit confusing.

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed :oops:

Sorry about that -- hazard of late-night forum browsing

Makes for amusing reading the next day, though.

24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't that long ago that SWUs had fare restrictions. Especially annoying was that I fares were excluded.

I've tried a couple times to upgrade D fares on BA without success.

The fact that Y+ counts as its own class really sucks.

25. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back on topic, I look forward to trying Air Berlin when they deploy the better J seats, maybe on an RTW.